New Posts

Humane Society International

Old 07-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Hal Burgiss

Default Flash on Chrome

In case any Google chrome users are missing flash for youtube, etc, it can be
enabled:

$ sudo mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins
$ cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so

I am using Adobe's plugin.

Then you have to start chrome with this command switch (or edit the
menu properties).

google-chrome --enable-plugins &

Seems to work reasonably well so far on the latest version of chrome out of
the repos.

--
Hal

Old 07-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Ray Leventhal

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> In case any Google chrome users are missing flash for youtube, etc, it can be
> enabled:
>
> $ sudo mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> $ cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so
>
> I am using Adobe's plugin.
>
> Then you have to start chrome with this command switch (or edit the
> menu properties).
>
> google-chrome --enable-plugins &
>
> Seems to work reasonably well so far on the latest version of chrome out of
> the repos.

Hal, Thank you for this. I can't test here but will be eager to try
this once I get home.

Best,
-Ray

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Graham Watkins

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> In case any Google chrome users are missing flash for youtube, etc, it can be
> enabled:
>
> $ sudo mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> $ cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so
>
> I am using Adobe's plugin.
>
> Then you have to start chrome with this command switch (or edit the
> menu properties).
>
> google-chrome --enable-plugins &
>
> Seems to work reasonably well so far on the latest version of chrome out of
> the repos.

Works well. Thanks for that.

--
Graham Watkins

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."
SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Alain Muls

On 02/08/09 ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Hal Burgiss wrote:
> > > In case any Google chrome users are missing flash for youtube,
> etc, it can be
> > > enabled:
> > >
> > > $ sudo mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> > > $ cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> > > $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
> libflashplayer.so
> > >
> > > I am using Adobe's plugin.
> > >
> > > Then you have to start chrome with this command switch (or edit
> the
> > > menu properties).
> > >
> > > google-chrome --enable-plugins &
> > >
> > > Seems to work reasonably well so far on the latest version of
> chrome out of
> > > the repos.
> > >

> Works well. Thanks for that.

Hi

I try chromium-browser out from time to time but you specify chrome. Are
we talking about the same app? If so I have not got
/opt/google/chrome/plugins
but created the link in
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins

But helas, it does not work for me

Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Vincent Arnoux

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 18:42, Hal Burgiss<hal@burgiss.net> wrote:
> In case any Google chrome users are missing flash for youtube, etc, it can be
> enabled:
>
> *$ sudo mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> *$ cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> *$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so
>
> I am using Adobe's plugin.
>
> Then you have to start chrome with this command switch (or edit the
> menu properties).
>
> *google-chrome --enable-plugins &
>
> Seems to work reasonably well so far on the latest version of chrome out of
> the repos.
>
> --
> Hal

I didn't do any of the actions you specified (I have no plugin
directory in /opt/google/chrome), but if I start Chrome with
google-chrome --enable-plugins, Flash is enabled.

Vincent

Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 08:55:06AM +0200, Alain Muls wrote:

> I try chromium-browser out from time to time but you specify chrome. Are
> we talking about the same app? If so I have not got
> /opt/google/chrome/plugins
> but created the link in
> /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
>
> But helas, it does not work for me

Chrome and chromium are different. Chrome is Google's respin of chromium.

--
Hal