Old 11-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default How to disable icon stretch in Gnome Desktop?

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 12:38 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Actually sabayon is really promising. Too bad when I try it (just now), it
> doesn't work. For example, I'm trying to limit user menu just "Internet" from
> menu list, in Xnet environment it works, but when I logon, all the menu
> appears as normal.

Did you apply the profile? See the docs at the sabayon site [1], e.g.,
[2]

[1] http://www.gnome.org/projects/sabayon/
[2] http://www.rd.cri74.org/repository/gnome/doc_sabayon_v2_english.pdf

Old 11-23-2007, 03:30 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

> Perhaps you should consider rethinking your policy on saving things to
> the desktop... you could create some sort of permanent directory
> structure linked to from the desktop (the "Student" folder, for example)
> and have them use that to store their files.
> If you want to really rethink the way they use their computers, you
> could set up user accounts for each of them, and they can have their
> own, private place to store files (private from other students, not from
> you) and they can mess with the background all they want without
> annoying other students or you. My old school used a roaming profiles
> system with their eMac computers, which worked really well, because
> every student had their own folder to store files that no one else could
> get into (except the admin, of course) and could change the settings,
> background, etc. to whatever they wanted. The best part was that because
> the profiles (home folders) were stored on a central server, they could
> log in from any computer in the school and their settings and files
> would follow them. I'm not sure exactly how to set that up in Ubuntu,
> but it's definitely possible.

I should have probably been more specific, this is in a thin client environment where
all users already have their own personal account on the central server. I have the
backgrounds and themes already locked with gconf-editor. I think locking out the
users desktop for saving may be more annoying for the user than it is worth. I just
wanted to be sure when administration, parents, or representatives from other schools
do a walk through, there isn't a bunch of full screen photos on the user desktops of
half naked women or something else that may be disturbing. While this is a problem
with the students in question, it can catch us by surprise sometimes, and I would
rather take more preventative steps. I will consider changing policy for saving to
the desktop. I was just hoping I was missing a simple key for gconf that could
quickly force all icons back to normal size.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Jim

Old 11-23-2007, 03:32 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 07:19:02 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote
> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 20:05 -0500, Caleb Marcus wrote:
> > >
> > Hmm, perhaps it should be made easier to lock the system down for a
> > kiosk environment
>
> See my other reply about sabayon and pessulus.

I've used Sabayon, but there are some problems with the thin clients recently
regarding its use. Pessulus as far as I can see doesn't have this capability. All
I've ever used Sabayon for before was for menu control, I didn't realize its features
were beyond that. I'll do some more looking into Sabayon, but last time I tried with
the thin clients I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 11-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 11:32 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> thin clients

I see, but have no clue. I would imagine that the challenge you face has
been encountered before. Maybe you can try the Edubuntu folks, they need
to deal with these pesky young people continually and may have good
advice. http://www.edubuntu.org/