Old 11-23-2007, 02:37 AM
"Robert Persson"

Default Installing Ubuntu from floppy disk?

On Nov 22, 2007 6:20 PM, Ashley Benton <meggalen@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that you are right I have a quantum pro drive lps and another hard
> drive of 850 mb but it doesn't make the 2 gb require. I will buy another
> hard drive before to try. Thanks again
> Meg

Ubuntu may not be your best bet. You might do well to go to
http://www.linux.org and try to find a distribution more suited to the
capabilities of the machine. You will certainly be able to find a few
that boot from floppies and are relatively gentle on memory etc.
Consider installing an ultra-lightweight gui such as fluxbox.

As someone has already said, if you can get an old network card (I'm
assuming you've got either PCI or ISA slots on the machine), that
would be the best way to go. I'd ask for one on your local freecycle
if you have one for where you live. Failing that, you should be able
to do an install via a parallel or serial cable. It will be slow
though.

Robert

Old 11-23-2007, 03:26 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Friday 23 November 2007 09:03:53 Ashley Benton wrote:
> Yes that does help. I will try and I let you know if everything works.
> Thank you to everybody
> Meg

Also you might want to add a network card, and then setup LTSP on your newer
pc so that your son's pc can use LTSP to experience the best of Ubuntu from
your newer pc.

Ubuntu by default support LTSP.
Just sudo apt-get install ltsp-server-standalone

A good reading:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientHowto
HTH,
http://linux2.arinet.org
11:26:45 up 50 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.