Old 02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Christopher Lemire

Default Linux TTS Voices

Does anyone know of some good TTS voices for Linux. I've tried the
default ones with festival, espeak, flite, but none seem to compare to
Windows 7 voices, AT&T voices, and the default ones with 2nd Speech
Center. I've created a program for Linux that uses espeak to
automatically read any text highlighted and copied, but I want the
best available voices Linux software has to offer. The code will be on
put here http://code.google.com/p/ttsreader/ though the use of espeak
is subject to change or the program may have more than one speech
synthesizer available for use with it.

Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>
Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Kyle

eSpeak is currently the best free/open source voice synthesizer
available for Linux, and it's really quite good, especially considering
its size and memory usage. I use it on my system every day and it
definitely sounds better than flite, better than the old Microsoft
voices such as Sam, Mary and mike and much better than the proprietary
and unmaintained IBMTTS or ViaVoice or TTSynth or Voxin or whatever
they're calling it now. That being said, some people are used to hearing
the outdated voices, and there are some other proprietary voices that do
sound good. Since it's all about user preference and giving people
choices, an interface to speech-dispatcher may be the best thing for
your application, unless you are writing it for personal use only.
Something simple could basically pipe through spd-say or have its own
simple client. Something more complex can interface directly with the
speech-dispatcher API for much more user control and/or functionality.

Hope this helps,
Kyle
--
Jesus you're my life.
I live only to serve You

Old 02-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Christopher Lemire

The way I've designed the application so far is for java to execute
espeak representing it as a Process in the OOP world. I can then get
input and output streams to do what you'd normally do using pipes in
bash. I'm looking for others to help contribute to this project. If
someone is interested, hit me up.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Christopher Lemire

What is a speech-dispatcher? And can you tell me more about spd-say
such as what speech synthesizers work with it and what. From the man
page, I see -e is called pipe mode, so I assume to use that you would
give some command (not sure what) followed by spd-say -e. How is this
software useful?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Fred Roller

Kyle wrote:
> eSpeak is currently the best free/open source voice synthesizer
> available for Linux, and it's really quite good, especially considering
> its size and memory usage. I use it on my system every day and it
> definitely sounds better than flite, better than the old Microsoft
> voices such as Sam, Mary and mike and much better than the proprietary
> and unmaintained IBMTTS or ViaVoice or TTSynth or Voxin or whatever
> they're calling it now. That being said, some people are used to hearing
> the outdated voices, and there are some other proprietary voices that do
> sound good. Since it's all about user preference and giving people
> choices, an interface to speech-dispatcher may be the best thing for
> your application, unless you are writing it for personal use only.
> Something simple could basically pipe through spd-say or have its own
> simple client. Something more complex can interface directly with the
> speech-dispatcher API for much more user control and/or functionality.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Kyle

Also, you could look into "mbrola":

http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola.html

This works /with/ espeak and helps humanize the voices significantly
over espeak regular (in my experience)

Here is an example I was working on a while back:

www.tncacademy.com/misc/ch01.mp3

granted it's a bit clippy but that would be because I had the speed set
to 200 wpm.

HIH

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 02-27-2010, 04:41 AM
Kyle

Speech-dispatcher provides access to a number of voice synthesis
programs through a single API. It currently supports eSpeak, flite,
TTSynth/IBMTTS/Voxin or whatever it's called, Festival and others. The
output voice can be configured however the user likes and the calling
application doesn't need to be aware of the configuration unless it
changes the output voice from the default.

Spd-say is just the most simple and basic client for speech-dispatcher.
It basically just speaks whatever is sent to it. I'm not sure about what
the pipe mode does, but you can simply call spd-say with the text you
want spoken and it will speak using the default voice settings. For
something more complex, you can write your own standalone client or use
the speech-dispatcher API directly from within your application.

Kyle
--
Jesus you're my life.
I live only to serve You

Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Christopher Lemire

[...]

Could someone show me through the command line how espeak and mbrola works together. I've tried this many times and different ways. The examples I find online have paths to files that are not on an Ubuntu computer unless they compiled them, but not from the packages.
I can't further my project until I can see how this is working through the command line.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Fred Roller

Christopher Lemire wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Kyle <kyle4jesus@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Speech-dispatcher provides access to a number of voice synthesis
>> programs through a single API. It currently supports eSpeak, flite,
>> TTSynth/IBMTTS/Voxin or whatever it's called, Festival and others. The
>> output voice can be configured however the user likes and the calling
>> application doesn't need to be aware of the configuration unless it
>> changes the output voice from the default.
>>
>> Spd-say is just the most simple and basic client for speech-dispatcher.
>> It basically just speaks whatever is sent to it. I'm not sure about what
>> the pipe mode does, but you can simply call spd-say with the text you
>> want spoken and it will speak using the default voice settings. For
>> something more complex, you can write your own standalone client or use
>> the speech-dispatcher API directly from within your application.
>>
>> Kyle
>> --
>> Jesus you're my life.
>> I live only to serve You
>> Each and every day.
>> --Kyle
>>
>> --
>>

> Could someone show me through the command line how espeak and mbrola
> works together. I've tried this many times and different ways. The
> examples I find online have paths to files that are not on an Ubuntu
> computer unless they compiled them, but not from the packages.
> I can't further my project until I can see how this is working through
> the command line.
>
> Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>
> Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0
Sure, this was my last adjusted command from my notes:

# Final espeak w. mbrola

espeak -s 200 -k 20 -v mb-en1 -m -f test_prose |mbrola -e en1/en1 -
testprose.wav

Broken down:

espeak (the first command)
-s 200 (speed of speaker)
-k 20 (pitch of capital letters, this is the recommended 20)
-v mb-en1 (the mbrola voice to let espeak know you are using mbrola)
-m (helps ignore html type code and allows usage of SSML)
-f test_prose (my test text, found it easier to work from text
files. Also you may need to edit see the copy below)
| (pipe to mbrola)
mbrola (second command)
-e en1/en1 (location of the language file, this is relative to my
working directory [dir/file] or you can put an absolute path in as well.)
- testprose.wav (output file)

Here is the test_prose file content, it's not much but does show some
editing tweeks:

http://paste2.org/p/710564

Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Christopher Lemire

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Fred Roller <froller@tnclimited.com> wrote:

Christopher Lemire wrote:

[...]

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately, it didn't work on my machine. Do you have some packages installed I do not? Here is the error I got and the packages with espeak or mbrola in their names.

chris@ubuntu910:~$ espeak -s 200 -k 20 -v mb-en1 -m "this is a test using mbrola with espeak" |mbrola -e en1/en1 - test.wav
FATAL ERROR : cannot find file en1/en1 !
chris@ubuntu910:~$ dpkg -l | grep espeak|mbrola
chris@ubuntu910:~$ dpkg -l | grep "espeak|mbrolaC"
ii espeak 1.41.01-0ubuntu1 A multi-lingual software speech synthesizer
ii espeak-data 1.41.01-0ubuntu1 A multi-lingual software speech synthesizer:
ii gespeaker 0.7-1 GTK+ front-end for eSpeak and mbrola
ii libespeak1 1.41.01-0ubuntu1 A multi-lingual software speech synthesizer:
ii stardict-plugin-espeak 3.0.1-5 International dictionary - eSpeak TTS plugin
chris@ubuntu910:~$

Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Fred Roller

Christopher Lemire wrote:
> [...]
> machine. Do you have some packages installed I do not? Here is the
> error I got and the packages with espeak or mbrola in their names.
>
> chris@ubuntu910:~$ espeak -s 200 -k 20 -v mb-en1 -m "this is a test
> using mbrola with espeak" |mbrola -e en1/en1 - test.wav
> FATAL ERROR : cannot find file en1/en1 !
> chris@ubuntu910:~$ dpkg -l | grep espeak|mbrola
> chris@ubuntu910:~$ dpkg -l | grep "espeak|mbrolaC"
> ii espeak
> 1.41.01-0ubuntu1 A multi-lingual software
> speech synthesizer
> ii espeak-data
> 1.41.01-0ubuntu1 A multi-lingual software
> speech synthesizer:
> ii gespeaker
> 0.7-1 GTK+ front-end for eSpeak
> and mbrola
> ii libespeak1
> 1.41.01-0ubuntu1 A multi-lingual software
When you downloaded mbrola did you get /their/ language package? In
this case "en1". I placed my language package relative to my working
directory. The full path for *my* system was:

/Crypt/Software/mbrola/en1/

If I were to run the command with absolute paths then it would look
something like:

espeak -s 200 -k 20 -v mb-en1 -m "this is a test using mbrola
with espeak" |mbrola -e /Crypt/Software/mbrola/en1/en1 - test.wav

hope this helps.