-   -   RC startup scripts? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/322-rc-startup-scripts.html)

Derek Broughton 11-18-2007 06:16 PM

RC startup scripts?

Peter Garrett wrote:

>> > They absolutely are...
>>
>> Where's the iptables script for state 5?

Depends what you're using for a firewall. I've seen it called numerous
names. But you didn't actually ask where the iptables script was, you
asked for all the start-up scripts, and that's exactly where they are. If
yours doesn't include an iptables script, it's because you don't have one
set up.

> I think you are looking for something that has never existed in Debian or
> in Ubuntu.

I think there _was_ once a package that saved the existing tables setup as a
script on shutdown and reinvoked it on startup. It never worked well, and
iirc it was dropped.

> State 5 ? Can you explain this? Do you mean run level 5? If so, I wonder
> again whether you are looking for something that does not exist by default
> in Debian or Ubuntu, because a default configuration does not use that
> run level. The multi-user run level is by default 2 both with X, and
> without it, in Debian-based distros generally.

But the /etc/rc5.d/ directory still exists, and should look exactly
like /etc/rc2.d/
--
derek