-   -   Webcam on HP DV9000 series (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/321-webcam-hp-dv9000-series.html)

Derek Broughton 11-18-2007 06:11 PM

Webcam on HP DV9000 series

Gilles Gravier wrote:

> Derek,
>
> To get Ekiga on 7.10 to use UVC, you need to select V4L2, not V4L. V4L
> as far as I know doesn't understand UVC...
>
> Ekiga will use V4L by default, so you have to select the V4L2 interface
> for video and then when the next screen appears to select the actual
> device, you will have the UVC camera listed.

Yeah, I'd figured that from your previous post - and I don't _have_ a V4L2
option, which explains it perfectly. Now I have to figure out what I need
to get that...

--
derek

Gilles Gravier 11-19-2007 04:39 AM

Webcam on HP DV9000 series

Title: Signature Home Chastity

Plug a USB-VC camera in your laptop? :)

Gilles.

Derek Broughton wrote:

Gilles Gravier wrote:

Derek,

To get Ekiga on 7.10 to use UVC, you need to select V4L2, not V4L. V4L
as far as I know doesn't understand UVC...

Ekiga will use V4L by default, so you have to select the V4L2 interface
for video and then when the next screen appears to select the actual
device, you will have the UVC camera listed.

Yeah, I'd figured that from your previous post - and I don't _have_ a V4L2
option, which explains it perfectly. Now I have to figure out what I need
to get that...

--

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org = http://www.gravier.org/

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

My Last Known
Position / Ma Derniere Position Connue

"Chastity
is its own punishment." (Solomon Short)
[David Gerrold]

"De toutes les
aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus aberrante." [Anatole France]

Derek Broughton 11-19-2007 03:06 PM

Webcam on HP DV9000 series

Please don't top post - how are we supposed to have a conversation?

Gilles Gravier wrote:

>>> To get Ekiga on 7.10 to use UVC, you need to select V4L2, not V4L. V4L
>>> as far as I know doesn't understand UVC...
>>>
>>> Ekiga will use V4L by default, so you have to select the V4L2 interface
>>> for video and then when the next screen appears to select the actual
>>> device, you will have the UVC camera listed.
>>>

>> Yeah, I'd figured that from your previous post - and I don't _have_ a
>> V4L2
>> option, which explains it perfectly. Now I have to figure out what I
>> need to get that...

> Plug a USB-VC camera in your laptop? :)

Apparently not. I _have_ a UVC cam, and Kopete at least recognizes it, but
Ekiga doesn't give me a V4L2 option.

So I figured it was time to do something about it :-)

Googling 'ekiga "no v4l2"' gave me:

And from that, installing the libpt-plugins-v4l2 package made it work (ekiga
correctly doesn't _depend_ on this package, because it depends on one of 4
video plugins packages - and V4L is the default).
--
derek

niel 11-19-2007 04:48 PM

Webcam on HP DV9000 series

Anybody know how to download and install a driver for the internal webcam on
my hp dv 9540 laptop.

I have just been googling to the french ubuntu-users mailing list, and there a
guy has the same problem, but found no driver.

The driver is called:

ID 04f2:b023 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

Thanks? :-)

Signature: www.minihowto.org (A site with some small manuals for linux
newbies) :-)

.