Old 11-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Thilo Six

Default OT

Steve Martin wrote the following on 22.11.2007 21:30

If Mr. Clinton would have had a problem with his Ubuntu install and would
wonders how to solve it then he would be right here.

mans ifs and whens don´t you think?

--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 11-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Thilo Six

Thilo Six wrote the following on 22.11.2007 21:38
> Steve Martin wrote the following on 22.11.2007 21:30
>
> If Mr. Clinton would have had a problem with his Ubuntu install and would
> wonders how to solve it then he would be right here.
>
> mans ifs and whens don´t you think?

s/mans/many

--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 21:15 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> Mario, it was a throw-away comment, not a justification.

I know, I didn't want to harp on about it I just wanted to correct a
misunderstanding about my post. Indeed, nothing to see here.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Aaron Konstam

How does this computer design strike you?

Video: Amazing Computer portable computer
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=7H0K1k54t6A

Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
fred smith

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 08:31:10AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> How does this computer design strike you?

looks "wikkid k001", but likely very pricey.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 08:31 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> How does this computer design strike you?
>

> Video: Amazing Computer portable computer
> http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=7H0K1k54t6A

Since you ask... One thing that immediately struck me as being
obviously dumb, when you consider they must have put quite a lot of
thought into that, is running a cable to the centre-front of the thing.
My laptop does the same thing, and it means that if you actually sit the
computer on your lap, and plug headphones in, you're in grave danger of
snapping the plug off.

When it comes to portable computing, you need to avoid things projecting
out the front and back, much more than the sides. And what does project
out the sides needs to avoid the front (my USB port is right-hand-side
at the front, right where you smack into it with the mouse). And what
does project out needs to be recessed so that only the cable sticks out
(ever seen bent USB dongles?). Wireless is all very well, until you
have to contend with batteries in everything, and other adjacent
wireless equipment.

I have seen one or two laptops where they've had the sense to make it
possible to fit the whole of a USB device into the chassis, but they're
few and far between. Not to mention other stupid designs (crappy tiny
little power plugs, plugs jammed far too close together, things labelled
by impressing an unreadable symbol or text into black plastic, etc.).

In this day of graphical interfaces, I'd like to see touch screens more
widely available. But that means another redesign: You want the screen
closer to you, so you're not reaching out far, nor holding your arm up
in the air. The simple answer to that is to not waste space with the
keyboard (most users could live without a row of function keys), nor put
a trackpad in the way, either. There also needs to be thought put into
a screen design that doesn't show fingerprints smeared all over what
you're trying to look through.

My background includes electronics engineering, and right at the top of
my list is making something convenient and practical to use. So many
things just aren't.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 15:57 +0000,
> No, please, avoid using HTML in this mailing list, it's barely
> readable.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Have you ever read a HTML formatted mail send by me before ? But since
it's possible to sent HTML it might help people to understand scripts.
IMO the backslash could confuse people. Just 2 cents, Ralf

PS: I guess you really helped, while I even didn't read several digest
mails, anyway since HTML is possible on that list, we should use it, if
useful, the people who sent spam use HTML.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 18:21:45 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 15:57 +0000,
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>> No, please, avoid using HTML in this mailing list, it's barely
>> readable.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> --
>> Camaleón
>
> Have you ever read a HTML formatted mail send by me before ?

Yes, the last you sent it was :-)

> But since it's possible to sent HTML it might help people to understand
> scripts. IMO the backslash could confuse people. Just 2 cents, Ralf

Backslashes are very commom in bash scripting.

> PS: I guess you really helped, while I even didn't read several digest
> mails,

I can't understand why you still use the digest option having nntp
readers...

> anyway since HTML is possible on that list, we should use it, if
> useful, the people who sent spam use HTML.

Not useful at all in this mailing list, please avoid it >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Tom H

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Have you ever read a HTML formatted mail send by me before ? But since
> it's possible to sent HTML it might help people to understand scripts.
> IMO the backslash could confuse people. Just 2 cents, Ralf
>
> PS: I guess you really helped, while I even didn't read several digest
> mails, anyway since HTML is possible on that list, we should use it, if
> useful, the people who sent spam use HTML.

Why don't you file an RFE bug for the no-html policy to be changed?