Old 11-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Steven Martin

Default WICD

All,

Finally fed-up with Network Manager, have reoccurring
issues with my wireless network. WICD has been
recommended to me. I have downloaded the package but
I need some more detailed instructions for
installation.

Please help.

In the meantime, the issue is that when I type "sudo
iwconfig", I can see that the authentication key is
not being enabled. All the times, my wireless network
works there will be hex numbers appearing for the
authentication keys. If I could figure out why this
key doesn't alway get enabled, I could stick with
Network Manager.

Steve

Old 11-22-2007, 07:42 PM
"Richard Bennett"

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:20:57 +0100, Steven Martin
<drumsandwires@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Finally fed-up with Network Manager, have reoccurring
> issues with my wireless network. WICD has been
> recommended to me. I have downloaded the package but
> I need some more detailed instructions for
> installation.

Hi,
Been using it for a while, and must say it is rock-solid.
After installing it from Synaptics go to :
System -> preferences -> sessions
Choose 'Add' in Startup Services, and set:
Name = Wicd
Command = /opt/wicd/tray.py

That's it. the tray icon will load each time you log in.
To start the app manually go to Applications -> Internet -> Wicd.

Richard

Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Steven Martin

Another satisfied WICD user. Network Manager is a
complete failure. There may be some configuration
steps that need to be applied but nothing worked with
Network Manager. WICD is what you want if you are
having trouble with your wireless network.

now a happy wireless user.

Steve M.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Karl Auer

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 14:53 -0800, Steven Martin wrote:
> Another satisfied WICD user. Network Manager is a
> complete failure. There may be some configuration
> steps that need to be applied but nothing worked with
> Network Manager. WICD is what you want if you are
> having trouble with your wireless network.

Odd. I wanted WPA, so I just deleted all the interfaces (except lo)
from /etc/network/interfaces, checked that NetworkManager was installed,
restarted dbus, and everything worked just fine.

So not a complete failure, it just didn't work for you, for some reason.

> now a happy wireless user.

It's good, isn't it :-) I have a hammock on my verandah overlooking the
bush, and nothing beats swinging gently back and forth, making money
while the kangaroos crunch about beneath the trees... now if only we
could make power cables go away too!

Regards, K.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:02 AM
Mark Grieveson

Hello. I recently obtained a used laptop, which I fixed up. It is
relatively good (IE, a Pentium IV) so I'm not too worried about it
being able to power the applications I'm hoping to run. Generally, I
prefer using a less cluttered machine with minimal software. So, I
loaded the laptop with lxde. In doing so, I made sure to install the
non-free firmware files from a usb stick.

In trying to find wireless connections, I used wicd, following the
steps at http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Wicd. This, however, did
not work. It simply stated that no network connections had been
found. However, I then reinstalled gnome on the laptop, and the network
software there did find various network connections (aka wifi). So,
I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can get the same functionality
within lxde using wicd (or using something else).

Mark

Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 AM

[...]

I use FVWM and the wicd or just ifup wlan0 depending how I feel. I use
a ralink usb dongle to connect to the wireless network. I don't connect
to the wlan0 network automagically though.

My /etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid xxxxxxxx
wpa-psk xxxxxxx

Depending where I place the laptop depends where I can connect. Both
wicd and ifup wlan0 can't connect where I generally want to be and so I
move the laptop to a location where it can pick up the signal, and once
that's done move to where I can't pick it up cold, and it generally
keeps working and stays connected all day long.

I have no idea why this happens, but maybe try it with your lappy as
well. See where it will pick up the signal and then move to whee you
want to work with it?

Hope that helps.
Charlie

Archive: eeec7f92187d0effcae42df71e8a0dd3@skymesh.com.au">h ttp://lists.debian.org/eeec7f92187d0effcae42df71e8a0dd3@skymesh.com.au

Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Alexander Batischev

Hello!

On my EeePC 900HA I couldn't connect after resuming from
suspend/hibernate, wicd showed that there's no network connections
available. But when I turn WiFi off, then on again and run the following
command as quick as possible:

$ sudo modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1

wicd started seeing networks. Maybe your laptop need something like
that?

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-08-01, Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:
> Hello. I recently obtained a used laptop, which I fixed up. It is
> relatively good (IE, a Pentium IV) so I'm not too worried about it
> being able to power the applications I'm hoping to run. Generally, I
> prefer using a less cluttered machine with minimal software. So, I
> loaded the laptop with lxde. In doing so, I made sure to install the
> non-free firmware files from a usb stick.
>
> In trying to find wireless connections, I used wicd, following the
> steps at http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Wicd. This, however, did
> not work. It simply stated that no network connections had been
> found. However, I then reinstalled gnome on the laptop, and the network
> software there did find various network connections (aka wifi). So,
> I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can get the same functionality
> within lxde using wicd (or using something else).
>
> Mark

Did you specify the appropriate interface, e.g., wlan0, in the wicd
preferences? When I set up a laptop with wicd recently I found that that
field were not automatically populated and the relevent kernel module
was not loaded.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Mark Grieveson

Thanks for the replies. As I mentioned, I did switch the environment
on the laptop to gnome, and thus switched to networkmanger with the
gnome-networkmanager-applet. This did work for me, but then for some
reason it indicated "wireless disabled" with this being greyed out (IE,
something impossible for me to enable). After an endless amount of
time searching the internet, I found one user who stated that her/his
laptop had a button that activated the wifi hardware. So, I looked and
found only the latch, which also had something that sort of seemed like
it could be a button, and upon pressing it I suddenly found that the
applet was finding wireless networks again. So, I'm thinking that when
I reinstall lxde on the laptop, that maybe I'll have the same luck and
get it working too. I'm now thinking it is either loose wires or
gremlins or something, rather than a problem with the set up of the
wireless networking software.

Mark

Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Charlie

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:45:05 -0400 "Mark Grieveson dg135@torfree.net"
suggested this:

>So, I looked and
>found only the latch, which also had something that sort of seemed like
>it could be a button, and upon pressing it I suddenly found that the
>applet was finding wireless networks again.

Most more modern laptops have the disable wireless button. That's
always the first thing to check for. Some people accidentally knock it
to "off" and wonder why their wireless suddenly doesn't work.

HTH
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

The man who is dissatisfied with himself, what can he do? ....Henry
David Thoreau