Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Vincent Lefevre

Default wicd

On 2011-08-03 10:18:15 +1000, Charlie wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:45:05 -0400 "Mark Grieveson dg135@torfree.net"
> suggested this:
>
> >So, I looked and
> >found only the latch, which also had something that sort of seemed like
> >it could be a button, and upon pressing it I suddenly found that the
> >applet was finding wireless networks again.
>
> Most more modern laptops have the disable wireless button. That's
> always the first thing to check for. Some people accidentally knock it
> to "off" and wonder why their wireless suddenly doesn't work.

IMHO it would be a good idea if software showed the status of this
button.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
"Robert Blair Mason Jr."

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 10:55:26 +0200
Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> wrote:

> On 2011-08-03 10:18:15 +1000, Charlie wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:45:05 -0400 "Mark Grieveson
> > dg135@torfree.net" suggested this:
> >
> > >So, I looked and
> > >found only the latch, which also had something that sort of seemed
> > >like it could be a button, and upon pressing it I suddenly found
> > >that the applet was finding wireless networks again.
> >
> > Most more modern laptops have the disable wireless button. That's
> > always the first thing to check for. Some people accidentally knock
> > it to "off" and wonder why their wireless suddenly doesn't work.
>
> IMHO it would be a good idea if software showed the status of this
> button.

It would be a very nice feature, but I would be willing to bet money
it's an order of magnitude more complicated to implement than it should
be (it's hardware, after all), and the developer hours are probably
better spent elsewhere, IMHO.

--
rbmj

Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Mark Grieveson

> Most more modern laptops have the disable wireless button. That's
> always the first thing to check for. Some people accidentally knock it
> to "off" and wonder why their wireless suddenly doesn't work.
>
> HTH

Yes, I think that's been the major issue with me. In looking further I
see that there's a blue "Fn" key, and that there's a blue wireless icon
on the F2 key. So, I think that by pressing these two keys, I can
activate or deactivate the wireless (which commonly could take place
given the common Alt-F2 combination to run applications). Mind you, I
was in a pub last night using their wifi and when I switched tables to
be near an outlet (the battery was low) I was disconnected, and no
matter what I did with the Fn key, I still could not reconnect. So, I
think gremlins cannot be wholly discounted.

> IMHO it would be a good idea if software showed the status of this
> button.

Agreed.

Mark

Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Mark Grieveson

> > IMHO it would be a good idea if software showed the status of this
> > button.
> >

> It would be a very nice feature, but I would be willing to bet money
> it's an order of magnitude more complicated to implement than it
> should be (it's hardware, after all), and the developer hours are
> probably better spent elsewhere, IMHO.

It does seem that KDE's version of NetworkManager does have this
feature. But I digress.

To recap, on a new install on a Dell D600 Latitude laptop, I initially
installed lxde, and tried to set up wicd, but this did not work. So, I
installed the default (gnome) and did get the network-manager to find
wireless. I then discovered that the Fn button in conjunction with F2
(easily hit from using Alt-F2 to run applications) would deactivate the
computer's ability to find wireless connections. So, with this
knowledge, I tried to remove gnome and install lxde, borking up the
system. So, I did a fresh reinstall of the lxde option, to give it
another go.

BUT, this time around, the install did not give the option to install
the non-free firmware files from a usb stick. It just indicates with
the install that no network devices (wired or wireless) were found.
This is also the case with gnome and kde installs. I'm going to try
once again with lxde and wicd, and see.

Mark

Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2011-08-03 15:05:34 -0400, Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:
> It would be a very nice feature, but I would be willing to bet money
> it's an order of magnitude more complicated to implement than it should
> be (it's hardware, after all), and the developer hours are probably
> better spent elsewhere, IMHO.

It shouldn't be hard as all the information is in the kernel logs.
For instance:

Jul 24 22:00:11 xvii kernel: [565823.481727] iwlagn 0000:0c:00.0: RF_KILL bit toggled to disable radio.
Jul 24 22:00:43 xvii kernel: [565858.857570] iwlagn 0000:0c:00.0: RF_KILL bit toggled to enable radio.

Since the kernel knows the status of the radio button, the applications
should be able to know it too.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Michael Mol

So, after having plenty of trouble working on getting Gentoo set up to
work with my new laptop, I'm finally able to run 'iwlist wlan0 scan'
and see the 15 or so cells in immediate area.

Rather than going straight wpa_supplicant or using NetworkManager on
this machine, I thought I'd give wicd a try. Trouble is, wicd, for
whatever reason, isn't seeing any any of the cells. If I run "wicd-cli
--wireless -l", I get a list's headers, but no observed networks. If I
run "wicd-cli --wireless -S", I get no output at all.

The page on gentoo-wiki.com for wicd[1] talks about a few
configuration files for manual configuration, but those aren't present
on the filesystem, and there are no manpages for them.

[1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wicd#Manual_Configuration
--
:wq

Old 12-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Fernando Antunes

So, after having plenty of trouble working on getting Gentoo set up to

work with my new laptop, I'm finally able to run 'iwlist wlan0 scan'

and see the 15 or so cells in immediate area.

Rather than going straight wpa_supplicant or using NetworkManager on

this machine, I thought I'd give wicd a try. Trouble is, wicd, for

whatever reason, isn't seeing any any of the cells. If I run "wicd-cli

--wireless -l", I get a list's headers, but no observed networks. If I

run "wicd-cli --wireless -S", I get no output at all.

The page on gentoo-wiki.com for wicd[1] talks about a few

configuration files for manual configuration, but those aren't present

on the filesystem, and there are no manpages for them.

[1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wicd#Manual_Configuration

--

As far I can remeber, I just removed net.ethX from /etc/init.d and ran rc-confg add wicd boot.

Inside wicd preference I set* wlan0 and eth0 as my network interfaces.

:wq

Old 12-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Fernando Antunes

[...]

My emerge packages that came with wicd :

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild* N*** ] dev-libs/libnl-1.1-r2* USE="-doc" 283 kB
[ebuild* N*** ] dev-python/notify-python-0.1.1-r1* 210 kB

[ebuild* N*** ] dev-python/dbus-python-0.83.2* USE="-doc -examples -test" 528 kB
[ebuild* N*** ] net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-0.7.3-r2* USE="dbus gnutls readline ssl -debug -eap-sim -fasteap -madwifi (-ps3) -qt4 -wimax -wps" 1,600 kB

[ebuild* N*** ] dev-python/urwid-0.9.9.1* USE="-examples" 233 kB
[ebuild* N*** ] x11-misc/ktsuss-1.4* 273 kB
[ebuild* N*** ] net-misc/wicd-1.7.0* USE="X gtk libnotify ncurses nls pm-utils (-i

:wq

Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 PM
James Allsopp

HI,
I'm running wicd on debian stable and unfortunately wicd can't maintain
the connection. Absolutely nothing about the rest of the wireless
network has changed. It keeps oscillating through

putting interface up
obtaining IP addresss
Done connecting
not connected.

When you can get a ping going, gaps of four to six packets fail for ever
one that gets through.

As part of writing this, I thought about taking out the other network
cable (currently attached to a raspberry PI, I'm trying to bridge to)
and that solved the problem, However, how to I make wicd keep the
wireless connection up with the other cable inserted, would giving it a
static IP help?

Any ideas how I can get this wicd bridge to work?
Thanks
James

Archive: 5032BEE0.1010804@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/5032BEE0.1010804@googlemail.com

Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 20 aug 12, 22:49:04, James Allsopp wrote:
> HI,
> I'm running wicd on debian stable and unfortunately wicd can't
> maintain the connection. Absolutely nothing about the rest of the
> wireless network has changed. It keeps oscillating through
> putting interface up
> obtaining IP addresss
> Done connecting
> not connected.
>
> When you can get a ping going, gaps of four to six packets fail for
> ever one that gets through.
>
> As part of writing this, I thought about taking out the other
> network cable (currently attached to a raspberry PI, I'm trying to
> bridge to) and that solved the problem, However, how to I make wicd
> keep the wireless connection up with the other cable inserted, would
> giving it a static IP help?

From your description it seems to me that wicd is (trying to?) switching
to the wired connection, but this is just a wild guess.

Please explain what your current setup is and what you are actually
trying to achieve (not how you think you might get there).

Kind regards,
Andrei