FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-07-2008, 09:16 PM
WipeOut
 
Default CIFS mounting only works with IP address and not hostname..

Hi,

I have just switched my fstab entries for my samb mounts to cifs rather
than smbfs because its far faster..

The problem is that using cifs I have to use the server IP address for
it to work..

I have tried from a command line as well and it will not connect and
just gives an error when using the hostname.. Even if I manually place
an entry in the /etc/hosts file it still won't work..

I did some digging and it appears that one proposed solution was to
install mount.cifs which is apparently used for the name resolution but
I can't seem to find how to install mount.cifs on Ubuntu..

Anyone got any ideas on why I am having to use the IP address of the
server or how to install mount.cifs?

Thanks..

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 PM
John Carlyle-Clarke
 
Default CIFS mounting only works with IP address and not hostname..

WipeOut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just switched my fstab entries for my samb mounts to cifs rather
> than smbfs because its far faster..
>
> The problem is that using cifs I have to use the server IP address for
> it to work..
>
> I have tried from a command line as well and it will not connect and
> just gives an error when using the hostname.. Even if I manually place
> an entry in the /etc/hosts file it still won't work..
>
> I did some digging and it appears that one proposed solution was to
> install mount.cifs which is apparently used for the name resolution but
> I can't seem to find how to install mount.cifs on Ubuntu..
>
> Anyone got any ideas on why I am having to use the IP address of the
> server or how to install mount.cifs?
>
> Thanks..
>
>
I believe this is expected. The older Windows networking protocols
relied on NetBIOS over TCP/IP for name resolution and file sharing. The
newer ones rely on CIFS and DNS (or at least DNS plus extensions) called
Active Directory. Most Windows servers now will have NBT disabled. You
will have to create a hosts file, or use DNS somehow. A lot of DHCP
servers support dynamic DNS.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-08-2008, 05:26 AM
WipeOut
 
Default CIFS mounting only works with IP address and not hostname..

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
>
> WipeOut wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just switched my fstab entries for my samb mounts to cifs rather
>> than smbfs because its far faster..
>>
>> The problem is that using cifs I have to use the server IP address for
>> it to work..
>>
>> I have tried from a command line as well and it will not connect and
>> just gives an error when using the hostname.. Even if I manually place
>> an entry in the /etc/hosts file it still won't work..
>>
>> I did some digging and it appears that one proposed solution was to
>> install mount.cifs which is apparently used for the name resolution but
>> I can't seem to find how to install mount.cifs on Ubuntu..
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas on why I am having to use the IP address of the
>> server or how to install mount.cifs?
>>
>> Thanks..
>>
>>
> I believe this is expected. The older Windows networking protocols
> relied on NetBIOS over TCP/IP for name resolution and file sharing. The
> newer ones rely on CIFS and DNS (or at least DNS plus extensions) called
> Active Directory. Most Windows servers now will have NBT disabled. You
> will have to create a hosts file, or use DNS somehow. A lot of DHCP
> servers support dynamic DNS.
>
>

Hi thanks for the reply..

I have tried and entry in the hosts file as well as using the dns name
and still it will not mount.. From a command line I am able to ping both
the host name and dns name and they resolve perfectly..

In my searching all I have found is that the mount.cifs application
appears to be needed for name resolution but I don't know what I need to
install to get it..

Anyone know what application provides mount.cifs?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Lea Gris
 
Default CIFS mounting only works with IP address and not hostname..

WipeOut a écrit :

> Anyone know what application provides mount.cifs?

It is part of the smbfs package:
smbfs - mount and umount commands for the smbfs (for kernels >= than 2.2.x)



--
Léa Gris - http://www.noiraude.net/
() Campagne du ruban texte brut contre les courriels en HTML,
/ contre les pièces jointes dans un format propriétaire.
Contre les DRMs appelez le : 09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-08-2008, 06:49 AM
"Raseel Bhagat"
 
Default CIFS mounting only works with IP address and not hostname..

Hi ,

On Jan 8, 2008 11:56 AM, WipeOut <wipe_out@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:


In my searching all I have found is that the mount.cifs application
appears to be needed for name resolution but I don't know what I need to
install to get it..

Strange. I thoguht nmbd* was the only thing required for name resoultion.



Anyone know what application provides mount.cifs?

If you are compiling Samba from source, you have to give :
./configure --with-smbmount
option.
This creates smbmount, smbumount,
mount.cifs and umount.cifs in the ..../samba/bin directory.

Thanks,
Raseel
www.raseel.in
www.opensourcedeal.com



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 AM
WipeOut
 
Default CIFS mounting only works with IP address and not hostname..

Lea Gris wrote:
> WipeOut a écrit :
>
>> Anyone know what application provides mount.cifs?
>
> It is part of the smbfs package:
> smbfs - mount and umount commands for the smbfs (for kernels >= than 2.2.x)
>
>
>
Thanks.. Thats what I needed..

It is now resolving the DNS name of the server which is fine.. The
netbios name still doesn't work but thats OK.. I am able to get it to do
what I need with the DNS name..

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org