Old 01-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Beartooth Testbedder

Default VVDQ : Alpine on Ubuntu??

My apologies in advance for what must be a Very Very Dumb Question (VVDQ)
-- one so dumb I don't even know if it's an Alpine Question, an Ubuntu
question, or what -- nor where to look up an appropriate FAQ. (I'm just
starting Ubuntu, having never run anything but RH, Fedora, or clones.)

I went to UW, downloaded a .deb for Alpine 1.0, and tried UW's
instructions for installing it with "dpkg -i alpine_1.00_i386.deb"

That got an error message. I chewed on it, to no avail, while I did some
other stuff.

Now I've gotten another error message, while doing something unrelated,
obviously meant to remind me of the loose end. And I can't make head nor
tail of it, either :

root@SblzUb:/home/btth# qtparted &
[1] 32684
root@SblzUb:/home/btth# qtparted: cannot connect to X server

[qtparted never did launch, and I eventually hit ^C]

[1]+ Exit 1 qtparted
root@SblzUb:/home/btth# apt-get install qtparted
Reading package lists...
Done Building dependency tree... Done
qtparted is already the newest version. You might want to run `apt-get -f
install' to correct these: The following packages have unmet dependencies:
alpine: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.6-0ubuntu20.5 is to be
installed
Depends: libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8c-1) but 0.9.8a-7ubuntu0.5 is to be
installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).
root@SblzUb:/home/btth#

Having run Linux since RH7, I'm only too familiar with dependency hells.
(Maybe Debian has a general solution??)

But I'm almighty leery of any kind of -f option, let alone an install
command with no argument. Do I really want to do that?? What does it mean
by "(or specify a solution)"??

--
Beartooth Testbedder, Neo-Redneck, Double Retiree,
Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User : F8, C5.1, U6.06;