Old 01-07-2008, 03:01 PM
"Phyo W. Soe"

Default installing ubuntu 7.10 on Geode

Hello all,

I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 on a miniPC
(http://www.fic.com.tw/product/minipc.aspx) powered by AMD Geode LX800
500MHz. (I think it uses a
CSCS5536 chip) When I tried to run Desktop CD
with that miniPC, it shows the splash screen and also the progress bar
that shows ubuntu loading. When it comes to the place where it should
show the gnome desktop, the screen went blank. I tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 but
nothing happened. I thought it has something to do with display driver
and booted in safe graphic mode. The result is the same. The only
response I get from it were when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del or
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, the usual message "Remove
the Disc and press Enter to continue." appeared.

I then installed Ubuntu on that miniPC using an Alternate CD (v7.10).
The installation went fine but after the splash screen, the monitor
went blank and doesn't respond to Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+F6. But it
does respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

I think the problem might be due to the fact that CSCS5536 chip is not
supported. Is there any way to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Nils Kassube

Please don't post HTML, it is barely readable. Use text only mode for
mailing lists.

Phyo W. Soe wrote:
> I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 on a miniPC
> (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
> href="http://www.fic.com.tw/product/minipc.aspx">http://www.fic.com.tw/
>product/minipc.aspx</a>) powered by AMD Geode LX800 500MHz. (I think it
> uses <font face="Arial,Helvetica" size="3">a CSCS5536
> miniPC, it shows the splash screen and also the progress bar that shows
> ubuntu loading. When it comes to the place where it should show the
> gnome desktop, the screen went blank. I tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 but nothing
> happened. I thought it has something to do with display driver and
> booted in safe graphic mode. The result is the same. The only response
> I get from it were when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del or
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, the usual message "Remove
> the Disc and press Enter to continue." appeared.<br>

AFAIK, the problem is the xorg driver which is not yet ready for the
CS5536. You will have to wait for at least 8.04 to have it work with GUI.

Nils

Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 AM
OLF

Phyo W. Soe wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 on a miniPC
> ( http://www.fic.com.tw/product/minipc.aspx ) powered by AMD Geode LX800
> 500MHz. (I think it uses a
> CSCS5536 chip) When I tried to run Desktop CD
> with that miniPC, it shows the splash screen and also the progress bar
> that shows ubuntu loading. When it comes to the place where it should
> show the gnome desktop, the screen went blank. I tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 but
> nothing happened. I thought it has something to do with display driver
> and booted in safe graphic mode. The result is the same. The only
> response I get from it were when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del or
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, the usual message "Remove
> the Disc and press Enter to continue." appeared.
>
> I then installed Ubuntu on that miniPC using an Alternate CD (v7.10).
> The installation went fine but after the splash screen, the monitor
> went blank and doesn't respond to Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+F6. But it
> does respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
>
> I think the problem might be due to the fact that CSCS5536 chip is not
> supported. Is there any way to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks.

I got same problem using Alix 1.c board with 7.10. I tried 6.10 and it did
work.

OLF