-   -   XGL disabling? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/30702-xgl-disabling.html)

"Samuel Thurston, III" 01-07-2008 05:24 AM

XGL disabling?

Long ago I made a request but failed to follow up on it:

On Oct 26, 2007 1:09 PM, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

> Samuel Thurston, III wrote:
> > I've got a Dell inspiron 700m with intel i855 graphics. Before gutsy,
> > beryl and XGL ran fine, my only problem was with 3d games, the effect
> > was glitchy and so i would disable XGL for this purpose.
> >
> > However now, compiz only does transparent windows and shading. cube
> > doesn't work. beryl has unresolved dependencies. and the worst part:

I can pleasantly report that the cube works fine now and I removed all
traces of Beryl so no more issue there.

> > XGL is always hogging 10% of my system resources, even when i have
> > effects turned off. 3D games run unplayably slow and even just
> > regular browser window scrolling and video playback are jerky and
> > freeze up from time to time. 3d screensavers cause a weird "double
> > vision" effect with gnome windows after i unlock the workstation.

This is where the bad news comes. XGL now takes consistently 17% to
20% of memory (1.25GB) with all desktop effects disabled. Scrolling
and video are still very iffy. I switched off all my 3D screensavers
so I can't report a change there.

> > How can I get rid of XGL on gutsy? This is so far the worst addition
> > to the Ubuntu desktop I have seen... it has no practical purpose and
> > has effectively crippled my workstation.
> >

> $ touch ~/.config/xserver-xgl/disable

Running this command yields a "No such file or directory", so I don't
know what to do... simply killing the Xgl process just kills my xorg
and when it restarts Xgl has returned with it.

"System | Preferences | Appearance" tab Visual Effects is set to
"none" and everything in the "System | Preferences | Advanced Desktop
Effects Settings" dialog is unchecked.

Thanks in advance for any help

David Vincent 01-07-2008 04:37 PM

XGL disabling?

Samuel Thurston, III wrote:
>>> How can I get rid of XGL on gutsy? This is so far the worst addition
>>> to the Ubuntu desktop I have seen... it has no practical purpose and
>>> has effectively crippled my workstation.
>>>
>> $ touch ~/.config/xserver-xgl/disable
>>

> Running this command yields a "No such file or directory", so I don't
> know what to do... simply killing the Xgl process just kills my xorg
> and when it restarts Xgl has returned with it.

ahh. see here, post #4:

try this command first:

mkdir ~/.config/xserver-xgl

then run the touch command again. then reboot. XGL should be stopped.

-d

"Samuel Thurston, III" 01-07-2008 09:28 PM

XGL disabling?

On Jan 7, 2008 11:37 AM, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

> >> $ touch ~/.config/xserver-xgl/disable
> >>

> > Running this command yields a "No such file or directory", so I don't
> > know what to do... simply killing the Xgl process just kills my xorg
> > and when it restarts Xgl has returned with it.
>
> ahh. see here, post #4:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3600201
>
> try this command first:
>
> mkdir ~/.config/xserver-xgl
>
> then run the touch command again. then reboot. XGL should be stopped.

Thanks, this worked perfectly, but it makes me wonder: what other
useful features can only be manipulated though this rather obscure
configuration method?

I'm happy to report that 3D games are working great and there doesn't
seem to be anymore video or scrolling lag, which is really good since
I intend to start using cinelerra for editing video.

David Vincent 01-07-2008 09:52 PM

XGL disabling?

>> ahh. see here, post #4:
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3600201
>>
>> try this command first:
>>
>> mkdir ~/.config/xserver-xgl
>>
>> then run the touch command again. then reboot. XGL should be stopped.
>>
> Thanks, this worked perfectly, but it makes me wonder: what other
> useful features can only be manipulated though this rather obscure
> configuration method?

*that* list is almost endless. it would be futile to try and compile
one. actually, it would be a good job for a co-op student or an intern. :)

> I'm happy to report that 3D games are working great and there doesn't
> seem to be anymore video or scrolling lag, which is really good since
> I intend to start using cinelerra for editing video.

great. glad i could help.

i've seen lots of videos on youtube etc. featuring compiz/beryl using
xgl and they all seem to run really fast and be really stable. this has
not been my experience.

that said, i probably just can't google well enough to come up with the
tweaks which would make my hardware perform.

-d

"Samuel Thurston, III" 01-07-2008 10:12 PM

XGL disabling?

On Jan 7, 2008 4:52 PM, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:
> i've seen lots of videos on youtube etc. featuring compiz/beryl using
> xgl and they all seem to run really fast and be really stable. this has
> not been my experience.
>
> that said, i probably just can't google well enough to come up with the
> tweaks which would make my hardware perform.

Well, the actual desktop effects, like cube and the expose-like
feature, the wobbly windows all worked really well on my integrated
i855 card when i did finally get them working. However it seems that
for it to composite the 3d from another program into Xgl is too much
for "the little laptop that could" to handle. This probably mostly is
due to lack of built-in texture memory.

When it comes down to it, I really do like a limited set of the compiz
effects, but in the end, losing the ability to play enemy territory
and work in blender just wasn't worth it for me.

I do think that the decision to leave this activated by default was
premature, since my laptop is only 2.5 years old and doesn't deal with
it very well. OTOH I have a 6 year old machine with an even older
nvidia card that ran it just fine, so maybe I just should have chosen
a different distro for my working laptop