Old 01-07-2008, 03:57 AM
Alejandro

Default IRC disconnected

Hola!!

I have a problem when using IRC clients: I *always* get a *huge* lag
(most of the times I just get disconnected). I really don't know why.
Surfing and downloading is alright! (~400 KBps) but IRC's clients (I've
tried bitchx and Xchat) refuse to work properly.

I forwarded the port 6667 to my ip address but that didn't work.

Any ideas will be welcomed
Saludos

Alejandro

Old 01-07-2008, 09:56 AM
John Carlyle-Clarke

Alejandro wrote:
> Hola!!
>
> I have a problem when using IRC clients: I *always* get a *huge* lag
> (most of the times I just get disconnected). I really don't know why.
> Surfing and downloading is alright! (~400 KBps) but IRC's clients (I've
> tried bitchx and Xchat) refuse to work properly.
>
> I forwarded the port 6667 to my ip address but that didn't work.
>
> Any ideas will be welcomed
> Saludos

Hola Alejandro-

Could it be traffic shaping by your ISP? Many ISP's do this now to try
and control traffic levels and also to provide differentiated service
options (i.e. buy this more expensive package and get full-speed P2P).

Mostly this is not noticeable unless you do a lot of P2P or play online
games, but I found a strange problem where connecting to a MUD (text
based online game in case you are too young to remember them ) was
giving me random lag of between 1 and 5 seconds. I investigated all
sorts of local causes but it turned out to be an effect of their traffic
shaping. I think their system recognises traffic by port numbers and
also signature content. They prioritise everything they know about like
pop3, imap, smtp, http, https, ssh, irc, etc. and everything else goes
slow. Because this was not a recognised application, it was going into
the slow lane.

Unfortunately they told me they couldn't do anything about it. I got
around it by using ssh to a shell account I still have somewhere
(remember them?) and then use my MUD client from there.

It may be worth trying another OS or computer on your connection to see
if it shows the same problem. If so, it may be your ISP.

Mucha suerte!

John

Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Alejandro

El lun, 07-01-2008 a las 10:56 +0000, John Carlyle-Clarke escribió:
> Alejandro wrote:
> > Hola!!
> >
> > I have a problem when using IRC clients: I *always* get a *huge* lag
> > (most of the times I just get disconnected). I really don't know why.
> > Surfing and downloading is alright! (~400 KBps) but IRC's clients (I've
> > tried bitchx and Xchat) refuse to work properly.
> >
> > I forwarded the port 6667 to my ip address but that didn't work.
> >
> > Any ideas will be welcomed
> > Saludos
> >

> Hola Alejandro-
>
> Could it be traffic shaping by your ISP? Many ISP's do this now to try
> and control traffic levels and also to provide differentiated service
> options (i.e. buy this more expensive package and get full-speed P2P).

It might be that, but the thing is that I can download @400 KBps with
any kind of p2p software (when ppl seed of course)

> Mostly this is not noticeable unless you do a lot of P2P or play online
> games, but I found a strange problem where connecting to a MUD (text
> based online game in case you are too young to remember them ) was
> giving me random lag of between 1 and 5 seconds. I investigated all
> sorts of local causes but it turned out to be an effect of their traffic
> shaping. I think their system recognises traffic by port numbers and
> also signature content. They prioritise everything they know about like
> pop3, imap, smtp, http, https, ssh, irc, etc. and everything else goes
> slow. Because this was not a recognised application, it was going into
> the slow lane.

The funny thing is that it happened to me when having other ISP here is
Spain.

The only protocol which I have problems with, is the IRC and nothing
else. Even games run ok =/

mit freundlichen Grüssen
Alejandro

Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 PM