Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Damien Hull

Default Cacti on Dapper Server

I tried installing the cacti package on Dapper.

1. LAMP install
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get install cacti
4. Was able to setup and log into cacti
5. No Graph of any kind
6. Ran "php poller.php"
1. Error message
2. Something about MySQL and php
3. Can't remember what the error was

I downloaded the tar.gz package from the Cacti website.

1. Uninstalled cacti
1. apt-get remove --purge cacti
2. Unpacked the tar.gz package in /var/www/cacti
3. Followed the instructions for installing cacti
4. was able to log in
5. was not able to see any graphs
6. Running "php poller.php" gives me nothing
1. no error message
2. nothing in the rra directory

Is there some secret way to get Cacti installed?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Martin Marcher

Hi,

On Sunday 06 January 2008 21:39 Damien Hull wrote:
> Is there some secret way to get Cacti installed?

cacti isn't exactly a 5 minute thing. IIRC it does have a good documentation
and (but?) it's quite a learning curve.

Personally I use zabbix for monitoring which provides nice graphs (though
not as powerfull as cacti's) _plus_ notifications (jabber, mail, sms).
Again nagios may be stronger on the notification side but given
the "simplicity" compared to the others zabbix is just right for me.

hth
martin

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours

Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 AM
Damien Hull

Martin Marcher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 06 January 2008 21:39 Damien Hull wrote:
>
>> Is there some secret way to get Cacti installed?
>>

> cacti isn't exactly a 5 minute thing. IIRC it does have a good documentation
> and (but?) it's quite a learning curve.
>
> Personally I use zabbix for monitoring which provides nice graphs (though
> not as powerfull as cacti's) _plus_ notifications (jabber, mail, sms).
> Again nagios may be stronger on the notification side but given
> the "simplicity" compared to the others zabbix is just right for me.
>
> hth
> martin

I got zabbix installed. It works!

It was a little tricky compiling it. I also had trouble getting the
graphs turned on. Overall I think this is better the Cacti. It works and
Cacti doesn't. At least not on Dapper.

Thanks!