Old 01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
"Ankur Jain"

Default Keyboard Problem

I've installed Ubuntu 7.10 and my external USB keyboard is now creating problems for me. It suddenly/randomly stops working after a while. I need to plug/unplug it again to make it work.
Any idea?

--
Regards
Ankur Jain

http://ankurjain.org

Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Ankur Jain wrote:
> I've installed Ubuntu 7.10 and my external USB keyboard is now creating
> problems for me. It suddenly/randomly stops working after a while. I
> need to plug/unplug it again to make it work.
> Any idea?
>
> --
> Regards
> Ankur Jain
>
> http://ankurjain.org

just an idea. Look into your BIOS, if you find something like "USB
legacy support". Toggle this and see, if it helps.

kind regards
Eberhard

Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 PM
"Ankur Jain"

No, there is no such option for me in BIOS...so no resolution of the issue.

Any other idea?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 AM
"Steve Flynn"

On Jan 8, 2008 2:02 PM, Ankur Jain <jainankur@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, there is no such option for me in BIOS...so no resolution of the issue.
>
> Any other idea?

We have to assume that no error messages are displayed in the syslog
when your USB keyboard stops working... can you confirm otherwise.

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
"Ankur Jain"

nothing changes in the syslog...actually..the keyboard stops responding if there is any change in the power...say from AC power to Battery mode. I just figured it out...otherwise the keyboard continues working fine.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 AM
François Patte

Old 03-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 09:18:47 +0100
François Patte wrote:

> Does anybody know what is the file in my personnal config which
> overrides the general config?

System - Preferences - Hardware - Keyboard

Old 04-17-2010, 01:02 AM
MHR

I've had a Logitech cordless desktop on my primary desktop for the
last few years, and every once in a while the number pad would just
"go out" - the <enter> key and num-lock would still work, but of all
the others would do nothing except the 5, which would pop-up a
subwindow in some app on the screen that didn't have the focus.

I thought this was aproblem with the keyboard, so I just switched to a
wired keyboard, and voila - the number key pad misbehaves exactly the
same way.

Is this a Linx / RHEL / CentOS bug? Has anyone else seen this?

I'm going to reboot to see what happens, but I'd be really, really
disappointed if it all just comes back to life (meaning that it *is* a
problem in the system and not the hardware)....

Let us know if you can, and I'll report after I reboot.

Thanks.

mhr

Old 04-17-2010, 01:30 AM
MHR

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've had a Logitech cordless desktop on my primary desktop for the
> last few years, and every once in a while the number pad would just
> "go out" - the <enter> key and num-lock would still work, but of all
> the others would do nothing except the 5, which would pop-up a
> subwindow in some app on the screen that didn't have the focus.

Erk - the (wireless) keyboard behaves just fine after a reboot. This
leads me to suspect a problem in either the kernel or the desktop, but
I think I've tried restarting the gdm before for this with no luck
(had to reboot), so I more strongly suspect the kernel (driver/s).
The mouse works just fine in both cases. It's an EX110 wireless
desktop, BTW.

My son uses the exact same hardware on his Windows machine, and it
never does this. In fact, the first time this happened, Logitech sent
me a whole new wireless set, and that's the one I've been using ever
since, and this has happened before a couple of times. Once it just
went away by itself, the other time I deliberately rebooted to fix it.

I should probably point out that I use the PS2 ports instead of the
(optional) USB connection - does anyone know if that works better (I
suspect it might, since the USB drivers seem to be more robust than
most).

Rebooting is not a good solution, even if it works as a "fix."

mhr

Old 04-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 18:02 -0700, MHR wrote:
> I'm going to reboot to see what happens, but I'd be really, really
> disappointed if it all just comes back to life (meaning that it *is* a
> problem in the system and not the hardware)....

You can't guarantee that, either way. It could still be a problem with
the hardware (firmware) in the keyboard and when you reboot it gets a
"kick" and restarts.