-   -   Fwd: Webcam on HP DV9000 series (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/302-fwd-webcam-hp-dv9000-series.html)

"David B. Toth" 11-18-2007 06:27 PM

Fwd: Webcam on HP DV9000 series

At 05:49 AM 11/18/2007, Nils Kassube wrote:

> > ve3gyq@hp-laptop-ubuntu:~$ lsusb
> > Bus 005 Device 002: ID 05ca:1870 Ricoh Co., Ltd
>
>Google for the ID and you will find this page:
><http://scognito.wordpress.com/>
>Looks like it could solve your problem.
>

>Nils

Nils, that looks promising ...
I'll report back soon on how I made out ...

Thanks VERY much to all of you ...

Dave

"David B. Toth" 11-18-2007 07:07 PM

Fwd: Webcam on HP DV9000 series

> > ve3gyq@hp-laptop-ubuntu:~$ lsusb
> > Bus 005 Device 002: ID 05ca:1870 Ricoh Co., Ltd
>
>Google for the ID and you will find this page:
><http://scognito.wordpress.com/>
>Looks like it could solve your problem.

2nd post ==

Nils, that worked great!
Thanks ...

I must say with each new release, Ubuntu becomes more plug and play
for installs, and that can only increase its popularity.

Dave

Derek Broughton 11-18-2007 07:23 PM

David B. Toth wrote:

>> > ve3gyq@hp-laptop-ubuntu:~$ lsusb
>> > Bus 005 Device 002: ID 05ca:1870 Ricoh Co., Ltd
>>
>>Google for the ID and you will find this page:
>><http://scognito.wordpress.com/>
>>Looks like it could solve your problem.
>
> 2nd post ==
>
> Nils, that worked great!
> Thanks ...
>
> I must say with each new release, Ubuntu becomes more plug and play
> for installs, and that can only increase its popularity.

Excellent - it appears my information was out of date. The DV6000s now have
far more than two possible webcams (and probably the same number for your
DV9000) of which _some_ are UVC.

Ubuntu (and any Linux distro) will never be strictly plug and play until
hardware manufacturers see the value in writing linux drivers or letting
our developers know how to write a driver before the hardware is released,
but at least if they use standard apis like UVC, we have a chance.
--
derek