Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Tom H

Default Decompressing .tar.xz

> I downloaded TeX Live 2009 as a .tar.xz archive and tried to decompress it with
> tar xvzf texlive-20091107-texmf.tar.xz
> but I always get the following error
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> tar: Child returned status 1
> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
> How could I decompress the archive?

tar xvJf texlive-20091107-texmf.tar.xz

Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> :
> > I downloaded TeX Live 2009 as a .tar.xz archive and tried to
> > decompress it with tar xvzf texlive-20091107-texmf.tar.xz
> > but I always get the following error
> > gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> > tar: Child returned status 1
> > tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
> > How could I decompress the archive?
> tar xvJf texlive-20091107-texmf.tar.xz

He has to install xz utilities first.
It's not bundled into tar.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 12-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Tom H

>>> I downloaded TeX Live 2009 as a .tar.xz archive and tried to
>>> decompress it with tar xvzf texlive-20091107-texmf.tar.xz
>>> but I always get the following error
>>> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
>>> tar: Child returned status 1
>>> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
>>> How could I decompress the archive?

>> tar xvJf texlive-20091107-texmf.tar.xz

> He has to install xz utilities first.
> It's not bundled into tar.

True. Have it installed so did not think of mentioning this "detail." Thanks.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Emil Payne

http://news.softpedia.com/newsTag/tar.xz

Old 12-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Christian Pleul

Am 29.12.2009 um 18:47 schrieb Mihamina Rakotomandimby:

>> Christian Pleul <chrisptex@googlemail.com> :
>> In the Synaptic Package Manager "xz-utils" is not shown.
>
> Have you enabled the "universe" section in the settings of Synaptic?

That did the trick after a restart, Thanks!
--
Christian

-Click. Boom. Amazing!-

Steve Jobs, 2006

Old 12-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Res

xz is a new compression method, apparently better compression than bzip,
but very much faster extraction, however compressing, it is a time
consuming S of a B, but has become rather popular in some parts.

Slackware is using this for its packages for about a year in -current and
release 13.0