Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Default Ram defrag in UBUNTU

> Melissa Lane <melissaelane@gmail.com> :
> Just a little slow when I am
> running the virtual machine but that is to be expected.

What container do you use? virtualbox? KVM?...

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 12-28-2009, 12:20 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Melissa Lane wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone knew how to defrag the RAM or knew of a program
> that works in UBUNTU to defrag RAM. I used to use System Mechanic Pro on
> Windows for all that stuff but it isnt available for LINUX
> Thank you in advance,
> Rev. Melissa Lane
>
> http://www.vipcreativesolutions.com
> http://www.ulcseminary.org
> http://www.thedivineorderofopenreligions.org
>

> This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee. It is
> confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not
> the addressee indicated in this message (or the responsible party for
> delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this
> message to anyone, and you should destroy this message and kindly notify the
> sender by reply email. Confidentiality and legal privileges are not waived
> or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
> By Melissa E. Lane

There is never any reason to defrag RAM. Windows loads files
to your Hard Drive in an odd way that does cause
fragmentation. Linux does things another way and no defrag is
ever needed or used.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Dedhi Sujatmiko

Melissa Lane wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone knew how to defrag the RAM or knew of a
> program that works in UBUNTU to defrag RAM. I used to use System
> Mechanic Pro on Windows for all that stuff but it isnt available for
> LINUX

If we talk about hard disk, where the information access is not uniform
and vary depending on the physical location of the data, it is true that
we need defrag.
But for RAM, where in the PC-centric x86 design is uniform, there is no
need for defrag since the distance of the data from RAM to the consumer
are all the same. Thus there is no need for RAM defrag.
I never use the "System Mechanic Pro", thus I do not understand what
will be the benefit of such arrangement.

Only in a real big SMP system, for example Fujitsu or Sun Fire
Enterprise server, which may 40+ CPU, there is a technology called
Memory Placement Optimization, since the RAM can be on the same System
Board of a certain CPU, or can be on the different System Board from the
consumer CPU, thus this kind of optimization is useful. Also for NUMA
system, obviously.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Amedee Van Gasse

On 28-12-09 13:00, Melissa Lane wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone knew how to defrag the RAM or knew of a program
> that works in UBUNTU to defrag RAM. I used to use System Mechanic Pro on
> Windows for all that stuff but it isnt available for LINUX

If you think that you are beter at memory management than your computer,
you can try the following commands:

sudo swapoff -a
sudo swapon -a

This forces the kernel to clear all swap memory.
Just like RAM defrag, it is utterly pointless, but at least you have the
idea that your computer is obeying your commands.

I have looked at the feature set of System Mechanic, and I can give you
the following Linux alternatives:

Improve startup: the Linux devs are doing this for you, with every new
release. The new event-driven bootup system, Upstart, is a big
improvement. So you don't need that.

Optimize registry: Linux doesn't have a registry, so not needed

Delete junk files: Bleachbit

Tune automagically: not needed, the Linux kernel does that for you

Protect your system: at the time of writing, there are no known Linux
viruses in the wild. Ubuntu Linux comes with a firewall.

Is there anything else that you need? Please describe in detail what you
are missing and we will explain what the alternatives are, or why you
don't need it.

You should also know that Linux follows the principle of "do only one
thing, and do that good". System Mechanic is a very complex program that
does a lot of different things that are totally unrelated. It's one
program that tries to do 10 things. On Linux you would have 10 different
programs that do only one thing.

--
Amedee

Old 12-28-2009, 04:37 PM

I often tell people the basic difference in the concept of how linux works
vs windows is

windows is like the Goodyear blimp all in one big package
linux is like the carnival vendor with a big bunch of balloons lots of
small programs each doing one thing. you pick the ones you need for each
job and the rest just sit there and wait.

if you get a hole in the blimp the whole system goes down.
get a hole in a single balloon and the rest just keep going.

not exact but easy to understand

Bob

Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Amedee Van Gasse <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> :
> sudo swapoff -a
> sudo swapon -a

I already frozen a server with this. The swap was full...

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36