Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 AM
"Ankur Jain"

Default HAL not initialized

I recently upgraded my system with available updates (not sure which packages is causing the problem), but now whenever I boot my system receiving the following error:

"Failed Initializing HAL and Configuration could not be loaded
".

I looked on ubuntuforums, reinstalled HAL and DBUS as well, but it didnt help. Now, my external USB keyboard has also stopped working, not sure if it's due to the HAL error.

Any idea?

--
Regards
Ankur Jain

http://ankurjain.org

Old 01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
"Luis Mondesi"

On Jan 6, 2008 5:04 AM, Ankur Jain <jainankur@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently upgraded my system with available updates (not sure which
> packages is causing the problem), but now whenever I boot my system
> receiving the following error:
>
> "Failed Initializing HAL and Configuration could not be loaded ".
>
> I looked on ubuntuforums, reinstalled HAL and DBUS as well, but it didnt
> help. Now, my external USB keyboard has also stopped working, not sure if
> it's due to the HAL error.
>
> Any idea?

Perhaps /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf is wrong?

Here is mine:
http://pastebin.ca/850997

If I were you, I'd do this risky thing to fix it:

sudo telinit 1
sudo dpkg --force-all -P hal
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get install hal
sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart
exit

after that, your system should be back to normal. you might want to
reboot just to be kosher.

--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur
fbsgjner jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------