Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Mike Evans

Default downloading software

Does anyone know how since I am new to linux ubuntu 9.10 from windows, when I download software sometimes its not self installing. How do I install software that isnt self installing??...........Thanks..Mike Evans

Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Colin Law

2009/12/15 Mike Evans <wb2rrd@earthlink.net>:
> Does anyone know how since I am new to linux ubuntu 9.10 from windows, when
> I download software sometimes its not self installing. How do I install
> software that isnt self installing??...........Thanks..Mike Evans

If you are new to Ubuntu I recommend the free downloadable guide from
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html It will tell you how
to download applications as well as provide lots of other useful
information. It is a little out of date but is mostly good.

But to answer your question more directly start by looking in
Applications, Ubuntu Software Centre. If you can't find what you want
there try System, Administration, Synaptic Package Manager (but I
recommend reading the guide first).

Colin