FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 AM
bobc4012
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

I have a HP C8100 printer/scanner/copier. I can scan pictures, newspapers, etc. with Xsane, Gimp and Scanner Utility with out a problem (except the ICM Profile pop-up - which I "x" out and continue). However, when I use the "35MM Slide or Negative film, I cannot find where to set these applications to scan them and produce a picture. All I get is a picture of the black/white/gray picture of the slide/negative holder containing the slide/negative (like scanning a newspaper article). I can scan with the HP support provided under Windows (XP) and get the pictures in the slide/negative, but have not found a way to do this in Ubuntu. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.


View this message in context: Scanning Slides and Negatives

Sent from the ubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:29 AM
bobc4012
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

I have a HP C8100 printer/scanner/copier. I can scan pictures, newspapers, etc. with Xsane, Gimp and Scanner Utility with out a problem (except the ICM Profile pop-up - which I "x" out and continue). However, when I use the "35MM Slide or Negative film, I cannot find where to set these applications to scan them and produce a picture. All I get is a picture of the black/white/gray picture of the slide/negative holder containing the slide/negative (like scanning a newspaper article). I can scan with the HP support provided under Windows (XP) and get the pictures in the slide/negative, but have not found a way to do this in Ubuntu. I have included the output from the scan. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.


View this message in context: Scanning Slides and Negatives

Sent from the ubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-15-2009, 08:18 AM
bobc4012
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

I have a HP C8100 printer/scanner/copier. I can scan pictures, newspapers, etc. with Xsane, Gimp and Scanner Utility with out a problem (except the ICM Profile pop-up - which I "x" out and continue). However, when I use the "35MM Slide or Negative film, I cannot find where to set these applications to scan them and produce a picture. All I get is a picture of the black/white/gray picture of the slide/negative holder containing the slide/negative (like scanning a newspaper article). I can scan with the HP support provided under Windows (XP) and get the pictures in the slide/negative, but have not found a way to do this in Ubuntu. I have included the output from the scan. I did check the Xsane documentation (on-line version is 0.994 and installed version is 0.995 - not quite the same). Choosing the different options (slide, negative, Kodak, Fuji, etc.) just produced the same output with different colors. Inserted is a negative strip and a slide. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.


View this message in context: Scanning Slides and Negatives

Sent from the ubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 PM
NoOp
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

On 12/15/2009 01:18 AM, bobc4012 wrote:
>
> I have a HP C8100 printer/scanner/copier. I can scan pictures, newspapers,
> etc. with Xsane, Gimp and Scanner Utility with out a problem (except the ICM
> Profile pop-up - which I "x" out and continue). However, when I use the
> "35MM Slide or Negative film, I cannot find where to set these applications
> to scan them and produce a picture. All I get is a picture of the
> black/white/gray picture of the slide/negative holder containing the
> slide/negative (like scanning a newspaper article). I can scan with the HP
> support provided under Windows (XP) and get the pictures in the
> slide/negative, but have not found a way to do this in Ubuntu. I have
> included the output from the scan. I did check the Xsane documentation
> (on-line version is 0.994 and installed version is 0.995 - not quite the
> same). Choosing the different options (slide, negative, Kodak, Fuji, etc.)
> just produced the same output with different colors. Inserted is a negative
> strip and a slide. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26791277/Scanned%2Bpicture.jpeg
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26791277/Slide.png
>

Per:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/200166
[HP PhotoSmart C8100: I cannot select film/slide scanning in XSane]
this is marked as "Won't Fix"
Not sure why, but the reporter 'Till Kamppeter' is very well known for
Ubuntu printer/printer-driver support. So, if he couldn't get it
changed, doesn't look good.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 PM
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

I have been using Vuescan (www.hamrick.com) a low cost scanning software
that has worked fine in Linux, the C8100 is listed as a supported scanner.

I personally find this software while not FOSS it is a low cost scanning
software that has supported Linux since day one.

Bob

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, bobc4012 wrote:

> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 01:18:17 -0800 (PST)
> From: bobc4012 <bobc4012@yahoo.com>
> Reply-To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Scanning Slides and Negatives
>
>
> I have a HP C8100 printer/scanner/copier. I can scan pictures, newspapers,
> etc. with Xsane, Gimp and Scanner Utility with out a problem (except the ICM
> Profile pop-up - which I "x" out and continue). However, when I use the
> "35MM Slide or Negative film, I cannot find where to set these applications
> to scan them and produce a picture. All I get is a picture of the
> black/white/gray picture of the slide/negative holder containing the
> slide/negative (like scanning a newspaper article). I can scan with the HP
> support provided under Windows (XP) and get the pictures in the
> slide/negative, but have not found a way to do this in Ubuntu. I have
> included the output from the scan. I did check the Xsane documentation
> (on-line version is 0.994 and installed version is 0.995 - not quite the
> same). Choosing the different options (slide, negative, Kodak, Fuji, etc.)
> just produced the same output with different colors. Inserted is a negative
> strip and a slide. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26791277/Scanned%2Bpicture.jpeg
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26791277/Slide.png
> --
> View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Scanning-Slides-and-Negatives-tp26791277p26791277.html
> Sent from the ubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 AM
bobc4012
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

NoOp-4 wrote:

On 12/15/2009 01:18 AM, bobc4012 wrote:
>
> I have a HP C8100 printer/scanner/copier. I can scan pictures, newspapers,
> etc. with Xsane, Gimp and Scanner Utility with out a problem (except the ICM
> Profile pop-up - which I "x" out and continue). However, when I use the
> "35MM Slide or Negative film, I cannot find where to set these applications
> to scan them and produce a picture. All I get is a picture of the
> black/white/gray picture of the slide/negative holder containing the
> slide/negative (like scanning a newspaper article). I can scan with the HP
> support provided under Windows (XP) and get the pictures in the
> slide/negative, but have not found a way to do this in Ubuntu. I have
> included the output from the scan. I did check the Xsane documentation
> (on-line version is 0.994 and installed version is 0.995 - not quite the
> same). Choosing the different options (slide, negative, Kodak, Fuji, etc.)
> just produced the same output with different colors. Inserted is a negative
> strip and a slide. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26791277/Scanned%2Bpicture.jpeg
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26791277/Slide.png
>

Per:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/200166
[HP PhotoSmart C8100: I cannot select film/slide scanning in XSane]
this is marked as "Won't Fix"
Not sure why, but the reporter 'Till Kamppeter' is very well known for
Ubuntu printer/printer-driver support. So, if he couldn't get it
changed, doesn't look good.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




Thanks for the reply. I did check out the "launchpad" post and I saw he had a work around using the C8100 front panel and a USB/Memory Card. I will give that a try. Otherwise, I'll have to stay with Windows XP and the HP support. It is unfortunate that it is not supported. There are some "standalone" scanners on the market, such as the Pandigital and others. I suspect they are not supported either. If not supported under Linux (Ubuntu in my case), then it gives others a reason to stay with Windows.



View this message in context: Re: Scanning Slides and Negatives

Sent from the ubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2009, 05:17 AM
bobc4012
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the site and see that have trial versions of the software. I will give it a try. It appears to be quite a powerful package from the PDF User Guide. I also have an older Microtek scanner, V310, but it does not appear to be supported by VueScan. It has a parallel port connection. Nor does Ubuntu (8.10) seem to pick it up (neither XSane nor the Scanner Utility).


Accessys@smart.net wrote:

I have been using Vuescan (www.hamrick.com) a low cost scanning software
that has worked fine in Linux, the C8100 is listed as a supported scanner.

I personally find this software while not FOSS it is a low cost scanning
software that has supported Linux since day one.

Bob

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, bobc4012 wrote:

> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 01:18:17 -0800 (PST)
> From: bobc4012
> Reply-To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
>
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Scanning Slides and Negatives
>
> I have a HP C8100 printer/scanner/copier. I can scan pictures, newspapers,
> etc. with Xsane, Gimp and Scanner Utility with out a problem (except the ICM
> Profile pop-up - which I "x" out and continue). However, when I use the
> "35MM Slide or Negative film, I cannot find where to set these applications
> to scan them and produce a picture. All I get is a picture of the
> black/white/gray picture of the slide/negative holder containing the
> slide/negative (like scanning a newspaper article). I can scan with the HP
> support provided under Windows (XP) and get the pictures in the
> slide/negative, but have not found a way to do this in Ubuntu. I have
> included the output from the scan. I did check the Xsane documentation
> (on-line version is 0.994 and installed version is 0.995 - not quite the
> same). Choosing the different options (slide, negative, Kodak, Fuji, etc.)
> just produced the same output with different colors. Inserted is a negative
> strip and a slide. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26791277/Scanned%2Bpicture.jpeg
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p26791277/Slide.png
> --
> View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Scanning-Slides-and-Negatives-tp26791277p26791277.html
> Sent from the ubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users






View this message in context: Re: Scanning Slides and Negatives

Sent from the ubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Graham Todd
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:55:12 -0800
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> uttered these words:

> Per:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/200166
> [HP PhotoSmart C8100: I cannot select film/slide scanning in XSane]
> this is marked as "Won't Fix"
> Not sure why, but the reporter 'Till Kamppeter' is very well known for
> Ubuntu printer/printer-driver support. So, if he couldn't get it
> changed, doesn't look good.

I came across this problem, so in the end I had a 'negative scanner'
bought for me one Christmas. A similar item can be found on Buy.com,
and here is the link:

http://www.buy.com/prod/svp-fs-1000-digital-film-scanner-35mm-negative-films-slides-scanner/q/loc/101/212595483.html

Similar ones made by SVP can be found on Amazon and eBay

I was provided with a scanner with my laptop that ran WinXP, together
with a negative tray, and it worked with older negatives I tested it
with, but I could not get any Linux distribution to provide anything but
grey-to-black-and-white scans, and then after going through a couple of
(borrowed) scanners which were not HP, I gave up. There does seem to
be a software issue here - working with WinXP but not Linux.

The 'negative scanner' might be an expensive alternative for you, but
you can save the images in JPEG or TIFF formats, and it shows as an
external usb device in Ubuntu. Very easy and convenient to use.

As the software developers are not going to fix this issue in Linux, it
seems a digital/negative scanner is the only way to rescue old
negatives and slides using Ubuntu, if a tad expensive.

--
Graham Todd




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Norman Silverstone
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

I spent a lot of time, a couple of years ago, going into this question
and, in the end, decided to spend my money on buying an attachment for
my digital camera. Thus I can copy 35 mm negatives and positives as RAW
or JPEG and process them with GIMP using Ubuntu without any hardware or
software worries.

Norman


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2009, 01:48 PM
 
Default Scanning Slides and Negatives

as you say a "tad expensive" but I had a lot of negatives and slides to
scan (many many thousands) so I bit the bullet and bought a good slide
scanner (Nikon Coolscan IV) and it has proven to be a wise investment in
quality. also is well supported in LINUX

not for everyone but if quanity and quality are needed then worth the
effort to get a made for the job tool.

Bob


On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Graham Todd wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:48:24 +0000
> From: Graham Todd <grahamtodd2@googlemail.com>
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Scanning Slides and Negatives
>
> On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:55:12 -0800
> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> uttered these words:
>
>> Per:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/200166
>> [HP PhotoSmart C8100: I cannot select film/slide scanning in XSane]
>> this is marked as "Won't Fix"
>> Not sure why, but the reporter 'Till Kamppeter' is very well known for
>> Ubuntu printer/printer-driver support. So, if he couldn't get it
>> changed, doesn't look good.
>
> I came across this problem, so in the end I had a 'negative scanner'
> bought for me one Christmas. A similar item can be found on Buy.com,
> and here is the link:
>
> http://www.buy.com/prod/svp-fs-1000-digital-film-scanner-35mm-negative-films-slides-scanner/q/loc/101/212595483.html
>
> Similar ones made by SVP can be found on Amazon and eBay
>
> I was provided with a scanner with my laptop that ran WinXP, together
> with a negative tray, and it worked with older negatives I tested it
> with, but I could not get any Linux distribution to provide anything but
> grey-to-black-and-white scans, and then after going through a couple of
> (borrowed) scanners which were not HP, I gave up. There does seem to
> be a software issue here - working with WinXP but not Linux.
>
> The 'negative scanner' might be an expensive alternative for you, but
> you can save the images in JPEG or TIFF formats, and it shows as an
> external usb device in Ubuntu. Very easy and convenient to use.
>
> As the software developers are not going to fix this issue in Linux, it
> seems a digital/negative scanner is the only way to rescue old
> negatives and slides using Ubuntu, if a tad expensive.
>
> --
> Graham Todd
>
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org