Old 12-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Patrick Doyle

Default How to reset things to their default, post-installation state?

I've been playing with a number of different things on my Mythbuntu
box (ALSA drivers, proprietary ATI video drivers, etc...) and have not
had a whole lot of success getting things to work. At this point, I
would like to just wipe the disk clean and start again.

But I figured I'd take the opportunity to ask if there is a different
way to achieve the same effect. Is there some apt/aptitude/dpkg
command that will verify the files on my system against those in the
official Ubuntu packages and replace them (and/or inform me) if they
are different? Basically, I am looking for something like

$ apt-get dist-verify

As I said, I'll probably just wipe the disk and start anew, possibly
having learned a thing or two from everything I've tried.

--wpd

Old 12-20-2009, 01:56 AM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 06:09 PM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I've been playing with a number of different things on my Mythbuntu
> box (ALSA drivers, proprietary ATI video drivers, etc...) and have not
> had a whole lot of success getting things to work. At this point, I
> would like to just wipe the disk clean and start again.
>
> But I figured I'd take the opportunity to ask if there is a different
> way to achieve the same effect. Is there some apt/aptitude/dpkg
> command that will verify the files on my system against those in the
> official Ubuntu packages and replace them (and/or inform me) if they
> are different? Basically, I am looking for something like
>
> $ apt-get dist-verify

No such command.

> As I said, I'll probably just wipe the disk and start anew, possibly
> having learned a thing or two from everything I've tried.

One thing you can do is reinstall from the liveCD but keep the home
folder instact. See:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2009-May/185513.html
start from:
"Now using jaunty 8x liveCD to install. Get a slightly different screen"
same basically applies to karmic. However, if you'd like to wait until
tomorrow I can test with the karmic liveCD.

You can use the archive to view the entire thread, or view here:
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/184420>
Note the "(Continue reading)" bits to expand long threads.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

>> are different? Basically, I am looking for something like
>> $ apt-get dist-verify
> No such command.

Could you please read before answering?

He looks for something that doesnt exist, yes, but if it existed, the
right name would be "dist-verify". The he explains the features he
wants.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 12-20-2009, 05:00 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 11:20 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> are different? Basically, I am looking for something like
>>> $ apt-get dist-verify
>> No such command.
>
> Could you please read before answering?
>
> He looks for something that doesnt exist, yes, but if it existed, the
> right name would be "dist-verify". The he explains the features he
> wants.

And while he's waiting for someone to create 'apt-get dist-verify'...?

I knew of no way to achieve what he wanted to do using apt-get or dpkg..
do you? So instead I offered a possible alternate. Perhaps you could
offer another solution?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:04 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Sun, December 20, 2009 03:09, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I've been playing with a number of different things on my Mythbuntu
> box (ALSA drivers, proprietary ATI video drivers, etc...) and have not
> had a whole lot of success getting things to work. At this point, I
> would like to just wipe the disk clean and start again.
>
> But I figured I'd take the opportunity to ask if there is a different
> way to achieve the same effect. Is there some apt/aptitude/dpkg
> command that will verify the files on my system against those in the
> official Ubuntu packages and replace them (and/or inform me) if they
> are different? Basically, I am looking for something like
>
> $ apt-get dist-verify
>
> As I said, I'll probably just wipe the disk and start anew, possibly
> having learned a thing or two from everything I've tried.

I understand your question, and I know of no such command.

I can give some suggestions that may help a bit, but sometimes a reinstall
is faster. In particular when you have /home on a separate partition, then
it is really painless.

* delete all the "hidden" (name starting with a dot) files and directories
in your /home/username. This resets all user settings. Be careful with
email software: if you don't use IMAP, all your mail may be lost! Same
goes for bookmarks in your firefox folder. So perhaps back them up before
deleting.

* clean up one package with
$ sudo aptitude purge packagename
This uninstalls the package *and* its config and log files.
Then you can reinstall it again
$ sudo aptitude install packagename
This only works for one package at a time, and some packages cannot be
uninstalled because they are essential. Use with care!

To recap, a fresh install with a separate /home is usually your best
option. But then also clean up the hidden files&dirs.

HTH,HAND

--
Amedee

Mon Dec 21 11:30:03 2009