Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 AM
John Graddy

Default 9.10 Frustrations

9.10 is the first Ubuntu release with which I have been unable to get a
satisfactory install. My monitor (which has worked with several
releases) always gets set at a resolution of 600X800. I have always run
it at much higher resolutions. The installation process (from the Live
CD) never asks for any information on the monitor. I even moved a
relatively new LED flat screen monitor from another computer to my
system as a test, and it also got set to a resolution of 600X800.

At this resolution, using Evolution email or the Firefox web browser are
no fun. I find myself constantly moving windows around so that I can
see the full content. In doing so, I found that resizing the numerous
fields in the Evolution window no longer work. The window is the same
width as the monitor screen and I suspect that this has something to do
with the problem.

Through frustration and confusion (plus a little ignorance), I've
managed to lose my email - including a whole bunch of mail from this
mailing list that I was saving to help me out of previously found
problems.

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems? If I could get around the
screen resolution problem a lot of the frustration would be resolved.

John

Old 12-20-2009, 12:58 AM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 05:21 PM, John Graddy wrote:
> 9.10 is the first Ubuntu release with which I have been unable to get a
> satisfactory install. My monitor (which has worked with several
> releases) always gets set at a resolution of 600X800. I have always run
> it at much higher resolutions. The installation process (from the Live
> CD) never asks for any information on the monitor. I even moved a
> relatively new LED flat screen monitor from another computer to my
> system as a test, and it also got set to a resolution of 600X800.

Doesn't help anyone unless you priovide some details regarding the
monitor and video card.

If you are trying to use an old /etc/X11/xorg.conf, just rename it to
something like x-xorg.conf-x, reboot and see what the resolution comes
up as. 9.10 will only use an xorg.conf if you provide one.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:10 AM
John Graddy

On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 17:58 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/19/2009 05:21 PM, John Graddy wrote:
> > 9.10 is the first Ubuntu release with which I have been unable to get a
> > satisfactory install. My monitor (which has worked with several
> > releases) always gets set at a resolution of 600X800. I have always run
> > it at much higher resolutions. The installation process (from the Live
> > CD) never asks for any information on the monitor. I even moved a
> > relatively new LED flat screen monitor from another computer to my
> > system as a test, and it also got set to a resolution of 600X800.
>
> Doesn't help anyone unless you priovide some details regarding the
> monitor and video card.
>
> If you are trying to use an old /etc/X11/xorg.conf, just rename it to
> something like x-xorg.conf-x, reboot and see what the resolution comes
> up as. 9.10 will only use an xorg.conf if you provide one.

Sorry that I didn't include details. My monitor is a Samsung 713N and I have an
AGP Graphics adapter. I'll have to pull it out to see what the model is. I've
had it for about 4 years and don't remember the model.

I renamed the xorg.conf file and rebooted. Same result - 800x600 is the
highest resolution.

Thanks for the response.
John

Old 12-20-2009, 02:45 AM
wang xin

Hi every one,i want to get the db2 database from IBM's site, it's two slow using the download tool of the browser, can you advise a download tool(for http) available under ubuntu 9.04?

any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:46 AM
wang xin

sorry for mistaking the subject.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Res

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, John Graddy wrote:

> 9.10 is the first Ubuntu release with which I have been unable to get a
> satisfactory install. My monitor (which has worked with several

just wait a few monts for 10.04, its LTS so hopefully they want have
botched it up anywhere enar as much as 9.10

--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Florian Diesch

John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> writes:

> 9.10 is the first Ubuntu release with which I have been unable to get a
> satisfactory install. My monitor (which has worked with several
> releases) always gets set at a resolution of 600X800. I have always run
> it at much higher resolutions. The installation process (from the Live
> CD) never asks for any information on the monitor. I even moved a
> relatively new LED flat screen monitor from another computer to my
> system as a test, and it also got set to a resolution of 600X800.
>
> At this resolution, using Evolution email or the Firefox web browser are
> no fun. I find myself constantly moving windows around so that I can
> see the full content. In doing so, I found that resizing the numerous
> fields in the Evolution window no longer work. The window is the same
> width as the monitor screen and I suspect that this has something to do
> with the problem.
>
> Through frustration and confusion (plus a little ignorance), I've
> managed to lose my email - including a whole bunch of mail from this
> mailing list that I was saving to help me out of previously found
> problems.
>
> Has anyone else had these kinds of problems? If I could get around the
> screen resolution problem a lot of the frustration would be resolved.

Please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/pdfrecycle/>

Old 12-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> :
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf

That file is not used anymore.
You should advise the use of xrandr now.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 AM
marc

John Graddy wrote:

> 9.10 is the first Ubuntu release with which I have been unable to get a
> satisfactory install. My monitor (which has worked with several
> releases) always gets set at a resolution of 600X800. I have always run
> it at much higher resolutions. The installation process (from the Live
> CD) never asks for any information on the monitor. I even moved a
> relatively new LED flat screen monitor from another computer to my
> system as a test, and it also got set to a resolution of 600X800.
>
> Has anyone else had these kinds of problems? If I could get around the
> screen resolution problem a lot of the frustration would be resolved.

Just a guess, but have to run System/Admin/Hardware Drivers?

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."

Old 12-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Steve

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 03:10:08 -0000, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 17:58 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/19/2009 05:21 PM, John Graddy wrote:
>> > 9.10 is the first Ubuntu release with which I have been unable to get
>> > satisfactory install. My monitor (which has worked with several
>> > releases) always gets set at a resolution of 600X800. I have always
>> run
>> > it at much higher resolutions. The installation process (from the
>> Live
>> > CD) never asks for any information on the monitor. I even moved a
>> > relatively new LED flat screen monitor from another computer to my
>> > system as a test, and it also got set to a resolution of 600X800.
>>
>> Doesn't help anyone unless you priovide some details regarding the
>> monitor and video card.
>>
>> If you are trying to use an old /etc/X11/xorg.conf, just rename it to
>> something like x-xorg.conf-x, reboot and see what the resolution comes
>> up as. 9.10 will only use an xorg.conf if you provide one.
>
> Sorry that I didn't include details. My monitor is a Samsung 713N and I
> have an
> AGP Graphics adapter. I'll have to pull it out to see what the model
> is. I've
> had it for about 4 years and don't remember the model.

Just run lspci in a terminal and post the results, no need to open the
machine up.

--
Steve