Old 12-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Alan McKay

Default PiTiVi (was: video conversion / editing )

OK, it is working great except I'm having trouble figuring out a good
format to render to.

When I try AVI the audio gets all messed up for some reason.

Most other formats seem to work but are either too big a file size
(.mov and .mp4) or too choppy a picture (Flash).

I compare videos of similar length that I did on windows in .wmv and
they are nice and small but not really a choppy video at all. Even
with a similar file size of about 35Mb for 10 minutes. But PiTiVi
does not seem to have that format.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate format?

Does anyone know why some of the formats show up multiple times?

thanks,
-Alan

Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 AM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 04:09 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> OK, it is working great except I'm having trouble figuring out a good
> format to render to.
>
> When I try AVI the audio gets all messed up for some reason.

Do you have gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and ffmpeg installed?

Also:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=pitivi+%2Bavi+&btnG=Sear ch>

http://pitivi.org/wiki/0.13.2
Bugs are here:
<https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=pitivi;bug_status=UNCONFIRMED; bug_status=NEW;bug_status=ASSIGNED;bug_status=REOP ENED;bug_status=NEEDINFO>

I've not had any issues on the avi's that I've tested so far - but it's
only a 9.5Mb .avi.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Alan McKay

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Do you have gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and ffmpeg installed?

I'll see

> Bugs are here:

I've hit a nice one. Did a crapload of editing and now when I try to
render it gets stuck in the middle. Time to completion keeps
increasing but the file size is not changing. Had that happen a few
times already.

Oh well - I think I'm going to try to figure out that other one and
maybe wait til this one gets a few bugs worked out. Too bad because
it sure is easy to use.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:04 AM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 05:27 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM, NoOp <snippedbyNoOp> wrote:
>> Do you have gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and ffmpeg installed?
>
> I'll see
>
>> Bugs are here:
>
> I've hit a nice one. Did a crapload of editing and now when I try to
> render it gets stuck in the middle. Time to completion keeps
> increasing but the file size is not changing. Had that happen a few
> times already.
>
> Oh well - I think I'm going to try to figure out that other one and
> maybe wait til this one gets a few bugs worked out. Too bad because
> it sure is easy to use.

As with all new programs you should test w/smaller files/projects first.
BTW: I just converted a 108MB mpg file to an avi to test. the .avi file
size is 265MB and preview in pitivi works just fine (video & audio).
Haven't attempted to edit it yet, but the large file size doesn't seem
to be an issue. My system is 9.10 (32bit) 2.4Ghz/1Gb mem.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Alan McKay

> As with all new programs you should test w/smaller files/projects first.

I did that. I have about 15 minutes of clips that I want to put
together and edit down. So my first step was to just put them all
together and make a 15 minute movie - which worked just fine in a
number of different formats.

Then I did all the editing on the 15 minutes to get it down to 10
minutes. But when I render, this thing happens. I had it happen in
another place before this - I don't recall the exact circumstances but
it seemed that restarting the program and trying again made it work.
But in the case of all my edits I've tried a number of restarts now
and it always fails.

I see some bug info on the site you pointed to and in particular how
to produce a good trace for them. So I'll do that and send it off to
them.

I look forward to seeing this program develop - it's a really good
replacement for the windows one.