Old 12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
stan

Default 9.10 and fixed X resolution?

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:56:10PM -0400, stan wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 06:48:55PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,

> > > I have a script in
> > > /etc/init.d that, among other things does "/usr/bin/startx -- :1 vt9".
> > > That's one of the reasons I initialy wnated to set this up in the X config
> > > file, as it would have been global to all X sessions started on this
> > > machine.
> > this will work fine, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ is read by the xserver on
> > startup and will apply all settings in that dir globally.
>
> Just for clarity, settings in that directory are applied to _all_ X
> sessions on that machine?
>
> 2nd question, I tried creating a script, based on the example in the
> referenced web page, and came up with this
>
> ----------
>
> # 1024x768 59.92 Hz (CVT 0.79M3) hsync: 47.82 kHz; pclk: 63.50 MHz
> xrandr --newmode "1024x768_60.00" 63.50 1024 1072 1176 1328 768 771
> 775 798 -hsync +vsync
> xrandr --addmode VBOX1 "1024x768_60.00"
> xrandr -s 1024x768_60.00
>
> ---------
>
> But I gte compaints about the 2nd line, when I run it. I looked at the man
> page, and it says, that used in that format, thhe 1st argumment is an
> "optput", What dose that mean, and how should I define it for the
> application I am trying to set up?
>
> Thanks for the prompt help on this!!

Just to keep otehrs from wasting time on tis, this aproach does not work.
After fighting with it for a while I was able to determine that by the time
this script runs, the X server has alread decided that it does not have the
capabilty to provide the desired resolutin, based on it's hardware probe. I
supose I will have to go back to creating an xorg.conf file bu hand.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?