Old 12-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Alan McKay

Default video conversion / editing

Hey folks,

So I've found something I really miss from windows, and it won't run
in my VM (though I am going to try messing with VM settings). Windows
Movie Maker complains within my VM that my video card will not support
it.

Anyway, naturally, I'd much rather do this on Linux.

Some googling got me on Kino - and well it seems really clunky. It
wants to convert all the AVI files from my camera to .dv, before it
will even touch them. And this takes a long time. With windows
movie maker I could drop all my videos onto the storyboard in a
second, and then start editing from there.

I then did some googling thinking maybe I had to convert those AVIs
first to something more Linux friendly. I hit upon ffmpeg which
seems to do everything under the sun, but of course like many Linux
apps the man page seems to assume I already have a PhD in video file
formats. I cannot make heads nor tails out of it all. I've tried a
few things to no avail.

Any pointers out there?

thanks,
-Alan

Old 12-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Steve

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:17:05 -0000, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> So I've found something I really miss from windows, and it won't run
> in my VM (though I am going to try messing with VM settings). Windows
> Movie Maker complains within my VM that my video card will not support
> it.
>
> Anyway, naturally, I'd much rather do this on Linux.
>
> Some googling got me on Kino - and well it seems really clunky. It
> wants to convert all the AVI files from my camera to .dv, before it
> will even touch them. And this takes a long time. With windows
> movie maker I could drop all my videos onto the storyboard in a
> second, and then start editing from there.
>
> I then did some googling thinking maybe I had to convert those AVIs
> first to something more Linux friendly. I hit upon ffmpeg which
> seems to do everything under the sun, but of course like many Linux
> apps the man page seems to assume I already have a PhD in video file
> formats. I cannot make heads nor tails out of it all. I've tried a
> few things to no avail.
>
> Any pointers out there?
>
> thanks,
> -Alan

winff was mentioned in an earlier thread (that I can’t find at the mo’)

--
Steve

Old 12-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Steve Reilly

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:17:05 -0000, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> So I've found something I really miss from windows, and it won't run
>> in my VM (though I am going to try messing with VM settings). Windows
>> Movie Maker complains within my VM that my video card will not support
>> it.
>>
>> Anyway, naturally, I'd much rather do this on Linux.
>>
>> Some googling got me on Kino - and well it seems really clunky. It
>> wants to convert all the AVI files from my camera to .dv, before it
>> will even touch them. And this takes a long time. With windows
>> movie maker I could drop all my videos onto the storyboard in a
>> second, and then start editing from there.
>>
>> I then did some googling thinking maybe I had to convert those AVIs
>> first to something more Linux friendly. I hit upon ffmpeg which
>> seems to do everything under the sun, but of course like many Linux
>> apps the man page seems to assume I already have a PhD in video file
>> formats. I cannot make heads nor tails out of it all. I've tried a
>> few things to no avail.
>>
>> Any pointers out there?
>>
>> thanks,
>> -Alan
>>
> winff was mentioned in an earlier thread (that I can’t find at the mo’)

cinelerra, powerful, but if your use to windows its going to take some
getting use to.

avidemux, simple to use

steve

Old 12-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Alan McKay

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Steve <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
> winff was mentioned in an earlier thread (that I can’t find at the mo’)

Excellent! It seems to be working well for converting. We'll see if
I then have better luck with Kino.

any recommendations for editing software other than Kino?

Old 12-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Dominique Dumont

Le samedi 19 dcembre 2009 19:47:26, Alan McKay a crit :
> any recommendations for editing software other than Kino?

kdenlive looks promising.

HTH

Dominique
--
http://config-model.wiki.sourceforge.net/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://www.ohloh.net/accounts/ddumont

Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 10:17 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> So I've found something I really miss from windows, and it won't run
> in my VM (though I am going to try messing with VM settings). Windows
> Movie Maker complains within my VM that my video card will not support
> it.
>
> Anyway, naturally, I'd much rather do this on Linux.
>
> Some googling got me on Kino - and well it seems really clunky. It
> wants to convert all the AVI files from my camera to .dv, before it
> will even touch them. And this takes a long time. With windows
> movie maker I could drop all my videos onto the storyboard in a
> second, and then start editing from there.
>
> I then did some googling thinking maybe I had to convert those AVIs
> first to something more Linux friendly. I hit upon ffmpeg which
> seems to do everything under the sun, but of course like many Linux
> apps the man page seems to assume I already have a PhD in video file
> formats. I cannot make heads nor tails out of it all. I've tried a
> few things to no avail.
>
> Any pointers out there?
>
> thanks,
> -Alan

The next release of Ubuntu (lucid 10.04) will include PiTiVi by default.
You may want to go ahead and give that a try:

$ sudo apt-get install pitivi

You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PiTiVi...

Info is here:
http://www.pitivi.org/
http://www.pitivi.org/?go=features
http://www.pitivi.org/?go=documentation
<http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-edit-videos-using-pitivi-on-ubuntu-linux-285435/>

Disclaimer: I have it installed but have not used it yet, except for
testing to see if an .avi plays in preview mode (it does).

Old 12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/19/2009 10:17 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> So I've found something I really miss from windows, and it won't run
>> in my VM (though I am going to try messing with VM settings). Windows
>> Movie Maker complains within my VM that my video card will not support
>> it.
>>
>> Anyway, naturally, I'd much rather do this on Linux.
>>
>> Some googling got me on Kino - and well it seems really clunky. It
>> wants to convert all the AVI files from my camera to .dv, before it
>> will even touch them. And this takes a long time. With windows
>> movie maker I could drop all my videos onto the storyboard in a
>> second, and then start editing from there.
>>
>> I then did some googling thinking maybe I had to convert those AVIs
>> first to something more Linux friendly. I hit upon ffmpeg which
>> seems to do everything under the sun, but of course like many Linux
>> apps the man page seems to assume I already have a PhD in video file
>> formats. I cannot make heads nor tails out of it all. I've tried a
>> few things to no avail.
>>
>> Any pointers out there?
>>
>> thanks,
>> -Alan
>>

> The next release of Ubuntu (lucid 10.04) will include PiTiVi by default.
> You may want to go ahead and give that a try:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install pitivi
>
> You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PiTiVi...
>
> Info is here:
> http://www.pitivi.org/
> http://www.pitivi.org/?go=features
> http://www.pitivi.org/?go=documentation
> <http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-edit-videos-using-pitivi-on-ubuntu-linux-285435/>
>
> Disclaimer: I have it installed but have not used it yet, except for
> testing to see if an .avi plays in preview mode (it does).

In the video the guy can't speak English! After about a
minute you can get a word or two out of 10.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-19-2009, 08:09 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 01:04 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> The next release of Ubuntu (lucid 10.04) will include PiTiVi by default.
>> You may want to go ahead and give that a try:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install pitivi
>>
>> You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PiTiVi...
>>
>> Info is here:
>> http://www.pitivi.org/
>> http://www.pitivi.org/?go=features
>> http://www.pitivi.org/?go=documentation
>> <http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-edit-videos-using-pitivi-on-ubuntu-linux-285435/>
>>
>> Disclaimer: I have it installed but have not used it yet, except for
>> testing to see if an .avi plays in preview mode (it does).
>>
> In the video the guy can't speak English! After about a
> minute you can get a word or two out of 10.

Ah. My apologies. I should have tested it first; thanks for pointing
that out :-) I'll try to find another w/all english.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:16 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 01:09 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/19/2009 01:04 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> The next release of Ubuntu (lucid 10.04) will include PiTiVi by default.
>>> You may want to go ahead and give that a try:
>>>
>>> $ sudo apt-get install pitivi
>>>
>>> You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PiTiVi...
>>>
>>> Info is here:
>>> http://www.pitivi.org/
>>> http://www.pitivi.org/?go=features
>>> http://www.pitivi.org/?go=documentation
>>> <http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-edit-videos-using-pitivi-on-ubuntu-linux-285435/>
>>>
>>> Disclaimer: I have it installed but have not used it yet, except for
>>> testing to see if an .avi plays in preview mode (it does).
>>>
>> In the video the guy can't speak English! After about a
>> minute you can get a word or two out of 10.
>
> Ah. My apologies. I should have tested it first; thanks for pointing
> that out :-) I'll try to find another w/all english.

Reviewed & I could understand what he was saying... but these might be
better/easier:

http://www.pitivi.org/?go=screenshots
Use the PiTiVi 0.13.1 Release Demo video.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/19/2009 01:09 PM, NoOp wrote:

>>> In the video the guy can't speak English! After about a
>>> minute you can get a word or two out of 10.
>> Ah. My apologies. I should have tested it first; thanks for pointing
>> that out :-) I'll try to find another w/all english.
>>
> Reviewed & I could understand what he was saying... but these might be
> better/easier:
>
> http://www.pitivi.org/?go=screenshots
> Use the PiTiVi 0.13.1 Release Demo video.

I did look at those and the Utube video of a war looked
pretty good. I did get pitivi and will play with it on my Jaunty.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User