Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Default Added two piece of 2GB RAM but total showing 3279 in Ubuntu 8.04

Fred Roller wrote:

**Snip snip**

>IMHO going with 64 bit would be better though, as Johnny mentioned. The
>PAE is another option, especially if you can't install 64 bit.

When should you have PAE and when should you better with 64-bit? Hmm.

I used to have a hard time with Java apps on 8 GB RAM and a PAE kernel (would you care to know? It's Zimbra Mail Suite. A heavy Java apps). With the same hardware but 64-bit kernel, I sleep sound ever since.

What was going on? Apparently Java Virtual environment on 32-bit OS can not fully employ extra memory, even though PAE kernel was in charge and all RAM was accounted for.

So, unless you *WANT* 32-bit OS because, say, legacy multimedia codecs reason, I suggest 64-bit OS on 64-bit capable computer.

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 12-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Andrew Kane

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Ashish Vijaywargiya
<vijaywargiya.ashish@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have added two piece of 2GB RAM in my mother board.
> When I am typing "free -mt" command on terminal then it is showing 3279.
>
> Here is output:
>
> ************ total****** used****** free**** shared*** buffers**** cached
> Mem:********* 3279******* 618****** 2660********* 0******** 14******* 278
> -/+ buffers/cache:******* 325****** 2953
> Swap:******** 5898********* 0****** 5898
> Total:******* 9178******* 618****** 8559
>
> IMO the total of two RAM will be 4096.
> In BIOS settings it shows two RAM connected to two slots each having size of
> 2048MB.
>
> Is the calculation in Ubuntu 8.04 done differently?
>
> Any comment on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Ashish

As others have mentioned in this thread, you won't get the
benefit of all 4GB unless you use a 64-bit kernel or PAE. If you post
the output of uname -a we will see what kernel version you have.
Some hardware (for example, my ASUS A8N-SLI board) refuses to
recognize more than 4GB of RAM due either to arcane hardware issues,
to screwed-up legacy BIOS, or to other foolishness. I am looking into
workarounds for these things, especially as they relate to the A8N
boards, and will report back if I ever get it solved.
Here is my forum post on the subject:

Most likely this is unrelated to your problem, but I mention it
for the sake of completeness (and as a Cry For Help...)
If you are, in fact, using a 64-bit kernel it may become relevant.