Old 12-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Fc Uk

Default openoffice, FILE MISSING, ubuntu write NTFS

Anybody help me to rescue the file.

Yesterday
I opened an .ods openoffice3.1 file on NTFS under Ubutnu 9.10, after a
little edit I closed it, concurrently, I type Fn+F12(hibernate shortcut
of my t43) to let my laptop hibernate, Today I cannot find this .ods
file at all. And I tried Finaldata under Windows, no result at all.

Can you explain why ? and what am I supposed to do for this file?

Thank you.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Fc Uk wrote:

> ________________________________
>
> Anybody help me to rescue the file.
>
> Yesterday
> I opened an .ods openoffice3.1 file on NTFS under Ubutnu 9.10, after a
> little edit I closed it, concurrently, I type Fn+F12(hibernate shortcut
> of my t43) to let my laptop hibernate, Today I cannot find this .ods
> file at all. And I tried Finaldata under Windows, no result at all.
>
> Can you explain why ? and what am I supposed to do for this file?
>
> Thank you.

Tell us more. Is this all windows or is it Ubuntu on a NTFS
file system? What version of Open Office.

It sounds like you might have closed your laptop before the
file could be saved.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Fc Uk

hi,

Thank you for your reply.
I use the openoffice 3.1 embed in ubuntu 9.10.
My labtop has dual OS: XP and ubuntu 9.0.* Xp on NTFS, while ubuntu on reiserfs.

That day , under Ubuntu, I accessed my .ods file on NTFS.

It seems just like you said, maybe I closed my laptop while it was still saving the file, maybe not jet finished.

The problem is that this file is extremely important, and I cannot find it anymore?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/12/20 Fc Uk <fucckerism@yahoo.com>:

> hi,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> I use the openoffice 3.1 embed in ubuntu 9.10.
> My labtop has dual OS: XP and ubuntu 9.0.* Xp on NTFS, while ubuntu on
> reiserfs.
>
> That day , under Ubuntu, I accessed my .ods file on NTFS.
>
> It seems just like you said, maybe I closed my laptop while it was still
> saving the file, maybe not jet finished.
>
> The problem is that this file is extremely important, and I cannot find it
> anymore?

Maybe your backup contains an older version of the file that's still usable?

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Fc Uk

I hope so.
But could you tell me where I can find this BACKUP place?
I am really new to Linux.
Thank you.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:40 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Fc Uk wrote:

> hi,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> I use the openoffice 3.1 embed in ubuntu 9.10.
> My labtop has dual OS: XP and ubuntu 9.0. Xp on NTFS, while ubuntu on reiserfs.
>
> That day , under Ubuntu, I accessed my .ods file on NTFS.

So the original .ods file was on windows. How did you get
Open Office to open a file on windows? Did you mount windows
onto your Ubuntu?

I think your original .ods should still be there on windows.

Your linux OO puts it's files in a special place on linux
that is set by you. Look there as well.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Steve

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:21:40 -0000, Fc Uk <fucckerism@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I hope so.
> But could you tell me where I can find this BACKUP place?
> I am really new to Linux.
> Thank you.

In a terminal try

find / -name filename*

if your original filename was foo.ods then filename* = foo*
--
Steve

Old 12-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Fc Uk

it doesn't work.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Fc Uk

yes, it is on windows, i think the windows disk is automatically mounted since I install and open ubuntu.

Till now I can find it no more on the NTFS, while other files stay fine.

Besides, I do not know how to find the pathway of auto storage. Can you tell me?

--

*** Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
*** Linux User

Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 04:59:02AM -0800, Fc Uk wrote:

> [...]
It would be helpful is you told us a bit more, i.e. when it doesn't
work do you get any error messages or what?

Anyway I'd suggest:-

find / -name 'filename*'

or, possibly, depending if the missing file has been on your system
more than 24 hours:-

locate filename

--
Chris Green