Old 12-19-2009, 01:40 PM
"David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk)"

Default Pulseaudio still buggy in Karmic

I changed my setting in pavucontrol, now it won't open, and my volume
control has disappeared. How do I manually set pavucontrol?

I tried this in terminal, but it fails to open.

pulseaudio & pavucontrol
[1] 26082
E: module-udev-detect.c: Failed to get card object.
E: module-ladspa-sink.c: Master sink not found
E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-ladspa-sink" (argument:
"sink_name=ladspa_output.mbeq_1197.mbeq master= plugin=mbeq_1197
label=mbeq
control=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,-4.5,-10.0,-6.0,0.5,1.0,2.0,4.0,4.0,0.0,0.0"):
initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
[1]+ Exit 1 pulseaudio

Old 12-19-2009, 05:45 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 06:40 AM, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
> I changed my setting in pavucontrol, now it won't open, and my volume
> control has disappeared. How do I manually set pavucontrol?
>
> I tried this in terminal, but it fails to open.
>
> pulseaudio & pavucontrol

Try pavdevcontrol instead:
$ sudo apt-get install pavdevcontrol
You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PulseAudio Device Chooser.
Click on the applett that appears on your top panel & you'll find all of
the options, including volume.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Andrew Kane

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/19/2009 06:40 AM, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
>> I changed my setting in pavucontrol, now it won't open, and my volume
>> control has disappeared. How do I manually set pavucontrol?
>>
>> I tried this in terminal, but it fails to open.
>>
>> pulseaudio & pavucontrol
>
> Try pavdevcontrol instead:
> $ sudo apt-get install pavdevcontrol
> You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PulseAudio Device Chooser.
> Click on the applett that appears on your top panel & you'll find all of
> the options, including volume.

David, do other applets still work in that panel? My volume control
went away about two days after I installed Karmic (I had two volume
controls displayed for some reason, and when I did "Remove from Panel"
on one, they both disappeared- and volume control does not appear in
the "Add to Panel" dialog) and since then the upper panel does not
show running programs with closed windows (like ekiga or transmission)
as it once did. I'm curious if you are having any of these same
symptoms- if you are, the applet that NoOp mentions might not show
up...

Old 12-19-2009, 07:43 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 11:58 AM, Andrew Kane wrote:
> David, do other applets still work in that panel? My volume control
> went away about two days after I installed Karmic (I had two volume
> controls displayed for some reason, and when I did "Remove from Panel"
> on one, they both disappeared- and volume control does not appear in
> the "Add to Panel" dialog) and since then the upper panel does not
> show running programs with closed windows (like ekiga or transmission)
> as it once did. I'm curious if you are having any of these same
> symptoms- if you are, the applet that NoOp mentions might not show
> up...

Right click a blank space on the panel, select 'Add to Panel', scroll
down to 'Notification area' click it & then click 'Add' & 'Close'.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Andrew Kane

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/19/2009 11:58 AM, Andrew Kane wrote:
>> David, do other applets still work in that panel? My volume control
>> went away about two days after I installed Karmic (I had two volume
>> controls displayed for some reason, and when I did "Remove from Panel"
>> on one, they both disappeared- and volume control does not appear in
>> the "Add to Panel" dialog) and since then the upper panel does not
>> show running programs with closed windows (like ekiga or transmission)
>> as it once did. I'm curious if you are having any of these same
>> symptoms- if you are, the applet that NoOp mentions might not show
>> up...
>>

> Right click a blank space on the panel, select 'Add to Panel', scroll
> down to 'Notification area' click it & then click 'Add' & 'Close'.

Thanks NoOp!
I feel kinda foolish now- for some reason I thought
"indicator-applet" was the same as "notification area".
I guess it isn't :^}

Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Doug Robinson

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/19/2009 06:40 AM, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
>
>> I changed my setting in pavucontrol, now it won't open, and my volume
>> control has disappeared. How do I manually set pavucontrol?
>>
>> I tried this in terminal, but it fails to open.
>>
>> pulseaudio & pavucontrol
>>

> Try pavdevcontrol instead:
> $ sudo apt-get install pavdevcontrol
> You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PulseAudio Device Chooser.
> Click on the applett that appears on your top panel & you'll find all of
> the options, including volume.

I had a great deal of trouble with sound. Mostly fixed now with the help
of <http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup>. Still I did not try
to fix everything. I was fed up with the whole *^&$%^& thing by then.

Good luck!
dkr

Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Andrew Kane

I have had trouble so far only with applications that don't properly
support PulseAudio, namely gizmo5 and warzone2100 (incompatibility
with OpenAl, apparently).

Here is the relevant section from the log I've been keeping on these problems:
<i>
Problem with sound in Warzone2100: Audio crackled and faded out on
application launch. No audio.
Resolved by following Ubuntu PulseAudio guide (issue: OpenAL not
PulseAudio compatible)
As of 11/30/2009 this problem recurs.
Gizmo5 - related, see below
Tried altering /etc/openal/alsoft.conf per pulseaudio guide cited in
gizmo5 section below, adding "devices = pulse" to main section.
Undoing above edit fixed the problem, Warzone opens, makes sound and
exits gracefully.

Problem with sound in Gizmo5 client (Medibuntu): No incoming audio.
Output heard on other phone, "hang-up" sound heard, no other audio.
Resolved (sort of) by using alsa-oss according to this guide:
http://forum.gizmo5.com/viewtopic.php?t=9860
This made gizmo work (sort of- launcher still fails) but broke sound
in Warzone2100
Tried using padsp gizmo per this guide:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
Gizmo started up and appeared to work (startup sound (crackly) but
did not attempt to make any calls)
Warzone now refusing to start (blank window, does not exit
gracefully- XKill'd it)
</i>

Sorry if it isn't very coherent.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:26 AM

Andrew Kane wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2009 06:40 AM, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
>>
>>> I changed my setting in pavucontrol, now it won't open, and my volume
>>> control has disappeared. How do I manually set pavucontrol?
>>>
>>> I tried this in terminal, but it fails to open.
>>>
>>> pulseaudio & pavucontrol
>>>
>> Try pavdevcontrol instead:
>> $ sudo apt-get install pavdevcontrol
>> You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PulseAudio Device Chooser.
>> Click on the applett that appears on your top panel & you'll find all of
>> the options, including volume.

Dosn't appear to be in the repo. Universe and Multiverse are enable!

sudo apt-get install pavdevcontrol
[sudo] password for afrodeity:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package pavdevcontrol
afrodeity@afrodeity-desktop:~$

Old 12-20-2009, 12:34 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:

> Andrew Kane wrote:

>>> Try pavdevcontrol instead:
>>> $ sudo apt-get install pavdevcontrol
>>> You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PulseAudio Device Chooser.
>>> Click on the applett that appears on your top panel & you'll find all of
>>> the options, including volume.
>>>

> Dosn't appear to be in the repo. Universe and Multiverse are enable!
>

> sudo apt-get install pavdevcontrol
> [sudo] password for afrodeity:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package pavdevcontrol
> afrodeity@afrodeity-desktop:~$
>

>> David, do other applets still work in that panel? My volume control
>> went away about two days after I installed Karmic (I had two volume
>> controls displayed for some reason, and when I did "Remove from Panel"
>> on one, they both disappeared- and volume control does not appear in
>> the "Add to Panel" dialog) and since then the upper panel does not
>> show running programs with closed windows (like ekiga or transmission)
>> as it once did. I'm curious if you are having any of these same
>> symptoms- if you are, the applet that NoOp mentions might not show
>> up...

The applications are :
pavucontrol and pavuchooser (both in hardy and karmic).
Joep

Old 12-20-2009, 07:16 PM
NoOp

On 12/20/2009 01:26 AM, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:

> Andrew Kane wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM, NoOp <> wrote:
>>> Try pavdevcontrol instead:
>>> $ sudo apt-get install pavdevcontrol
>>> You'll then find it in Applications|Sound...|PulseAudio Device Chooser.
>>> Click on the applett that appears on your top panel & you'll find all of
>>> the options, including volume.
>>>

> Dosn't appear to be in the repo. Universe and Multiverse are enable!
>

> sudo apt-get install pavdevcontrol
> [sudo] password for afrodeity:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package pavdevcontrol
> afrodeity@afrodeity-desktop:~$
>

>> David, do other applets still work in that panel? My volume control
>> went away about two days after I installed Karmic (I had two volume
>> controls displayed for some reason, and when I did "Remove from Panel"
>> on one, they both disappeared- and volume control does not appear in
>> the "Add to Panel" dialog) and since then the upper panel does not
>> show running programs with closed windows (like ekiga or transmission)
>> as it once did. I'm curious if you are having any of these same
>> symptoms- if you are, the applet that NoOp mentions might not show
>> up...

My apologies. It is:

$ sudo apt-get padevchooser

$ apt-cache policy padevchooser