Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Ashish Vijaywargiya

Default Added two piece of 2GB RAM but total showing 3279 in Ubuntu 8.04

I have added two piece of 2GB RAM in my mother board.
When I am typing "free -mt" command on terminal then it is showing 3279.

Here is output:

************ total****** used****** free**** shared*** buffers**** cached

Mem:********* 3279******* 618****** 2660********* 0******** 14******* 278
-/+ buffers/cache:******* 325****** 2953
Swap:******** 5898********* 0****** 5898
Total:******* 9178******* 618****** 8559

IMO the total of two RAM will be 4096.

In BIOS settings it shows two RAM connected to two slots each having size of 2048MB.

Is the calculation in Ubuntu 8.04 done differently?

Any comment on this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Ashish

Old 12-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Steve

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:22:53 -0000, Ashish Vijaywargiya
<vijaywargiya.ashish@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have added two piece of 2GB RAM in my mother board.
> When I am typing "free -mt" command on terminal then it is showing 3279.
>
> Here is output:
>
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 3279 618 2660 0 14 278
> -/+ buffers/cache: 325 2953
> Swap: 5898 0 5898
> Total: 9178 618 8559
>
> IMO the total of two RAM will be 4096.
> In BIOS settings it shows two RAM connected to two slots each having
> size of
> 2048MB.
>
> Is the calculation in Ubuntu 8.04 done differently?
>
> Any comment on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Ashish
That’s about right for a 32 bit system the rest is set aside for BIOS,
video and other devices. If you have a root round the web there are plenty
of explanations.

--
Steve

Old 12-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Ashish Vijaywargiya

Thanks Steve - much appreciated!

--
Ashish

Old 12-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/12/19 Ashish Vijaywargiya <vijaywargiya.ashish@gmail.com>:
> I have added two piece of 2GB RAM in my mother board.
> When I am typing "free -mt" command on terminal then it is showing 3279.
>
> Here is output:
>
> ************ total****** used****** free**** shared*** buffers**** cached
> Mem:********* 3279******* 618****** 2660********* 0******** 14******* 278
> -/+ buffers/cache:******* 325****** 2953
> Swap:******** 5898********* 0****** 5898
> Total:******* 9178******* 618****** 8559
>
> IMO the total of two RAM will be 4096.
> In BIOS settings it shows two RAM connected to two slots each having size of
> 2048MB.
>
> Is the calculation in Ubuntu 8.04 done differently?
>
> Any comment on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Ashish

As someone already said, this is normal. You need a 64 OS if you want
to use all the 4 GiB. And for that, your computer needs also needs to
be 64 bit.

You could always try a 64 bit Ubuntu Live CD/USB stick if this works
on your computer. There are, however, still some issues running 64 bit
Ubuntu, as far as I know, but since I can't run a 64 bit OS on my
laptop I have no experience.

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 12-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Fred Roller

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2009/12/19 Ashish Vijaywargiya <vijaywargiya.ashish@gmail.com>:
>
>> I have added two piece of 2GB RAM in my mother board.
>> When I am typing "free -mt" command on terminal then it is showing 3279.
>>
>> Here is output:
>>
>> total used free shared buffers cached
>> Mem: 3279 618 2660 0 14 278
>> -/+ buffers/cache: 325 2953
>> Swap: 5898 0 5898
>> Total: 9178 618 8559
>>
>> IMO the total of two RAM will be 4096.
>> In BIOS settings it shows two RAM connected to two slots each having size of
>> 2048MB.
>>
>> Is the calculation in Ubuntu 8.04 done differently?
>>
>> Any comment on this would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Ashish
>>

> As someone already said, this is normal. You need a 64 OS if you want
> to use all the 4 GiB. And for that, your computer needs also needs to
> be 64 bit.
>
> You could always try a 64 bit Ubuntu Live CD/USB stick if this works
> on your computer. There are, however, still some issues running 64 bit
> Ubuntu, as far as I know, but since I can't run a 64 bit OS on my
> laptop I have no experience.
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

You could also try PAE kernel for your current system. Open and search
synaptic for:

linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic-pae

if the kernel does not work you will still be able to revert to your
previous kernel. Read more here for Karmic package here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic-pae

IMHO going with 64 bit would be better though, as Johnny mentioned. The
PAE is another option, especially if you can't install 64 bit.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."