Old 12-19-2009, 02:14 AM
John Graddy

Default System Monitor Resolution in Karmic

I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10. I ran 9.04 for several months. I
can't set my monitor resolution to anything higher than 800X600 even
though is has run at higher resolutions in the past.

When I select system->preferences->display, I get a display that says
that my monitor is unknown (it is an old KDS Visual Sensations monitor).
The menu will allow me to set a resolution up to 800X600. It will also
let me set the Refresh Rate. There has to be a simple way to adjust the
resolution. Karmic is virtually useless at a resolution of 800X600
since almost every application attempts to display more characters/line
than the screen will handle.

John

Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

John Graddy wrote:
> I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10. I ran 9.04 for several months. I
> can't set my monitor resolution to anything higher than 800X600 even
> though is has run at higher resolutions in the past.
>
> When I select system->preferences->display, I get a display that says
> that my monitor is unknown (it is an old KDS Visual Sensations monitor).
> The menu will allow me to set a resolution up to 800X600. It will also
> let me set the Refresh Rate. There has to be a simple way to adjust the
> resolution. Karmic is virtually useless at a resolution of 800X600
> since almost every application attempts to display more characters/line
> than the screen will handle.
>
> John

My monitor is an even older KDS radius which is a 17 inch
flat screen. I always choose the generic from the list and get
the big screen I desire. It has worked over 4 versions of Ubuntu.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Steve

A useful guide https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

--
Steve

Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 AM
"sundeep kumar"

Hi
You first need to update your computer and then try for restricted drivers .
I suppose tgis will solve your problem

database 4700 (20091218) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 4702 (20091219) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Steve

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:21:27 -0000, sundeep kumar
<compufreak.sundeep@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> You first need to update your computer and then try for restricted
> drivers .
> I suppose tgis will solve your problem

Post the results of:-

lspci

hwinfo --monitor

--
Steve

Old 12-20-2009, 12:37 PM
John Graddy

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 10:39 +0000, Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:21:27 -0000, sundeep kumar
> <compufreak.sundeep@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > You first need to update your computer and then try for restricted
> > drivers .
> > I suppose tgis will solve your problem

output from lspci follows. when I run hwinfo --monitor, I get no
output.

jwg@jwg-desktop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IGP2 (rev c1)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 (rev
c1)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev
c1)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev
c1)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev
c1)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev
c1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev
a4)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev
a4)
00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev
a4)
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet
Controller (rev a1)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97
Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev
a3)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev c1)
01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster
01:08.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2800 802.11n PCI
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11DDR [GeForce2
MX200] (rev b2)

Old 12-20-2009, 01:27 PM
John Graddy

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 10:39 +0000, Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:21:27 -0000, sundeep kumar
> <compufreak.sundeep@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > You first need to update your computer and then try for restricted
> > drivers .
> > I suppose tgis will solve your problem

I replied earlier with the output from lspci. I also said that I got no
output from hwinfo --monitor. I ran hwinfo with no parameters and got
LOTS of output but didn't think I should post all of that stuff on the
list. I could find no entries containing "monitor".

Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM
John Graddy

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 15:51 +0530, sundeep kumar wrote:
> Hi
> You first need to update your computer and then try for restricted drivers .
> I suppose tgis will solve your problem

My system is up to date. I have not installed the restricted NVIDIA
driver, since, in the past when I installed it, it caused the system to
crash. I have been running without the NVIDIA driver for a couple of
years and have had no problems.

What is tgis and what will it do for me?

Thanks,
John

Old 12-20-2009, 05:25 PM
John Graddy

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 15:51 +0530, sundeep kumar wrote:
> Hi
> You first need to update your computer and then try for restricted drivers .
> I suppose tgis will solve your problem

I'm not sure what happened to this thread at this point. If I have
intruded on another user's thread, I apologize.

I initiated the thread "9.10 Frustrations". This post quoted from my
thread but put on a different subject. I believe that there is now a
new thread going which, I believe, is addressing the problem that I
submitted.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Steve

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:25:22 -0000, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com>
wrote:

> I'm not sure what happened to this thread at this point. If I have
> intruded on another user's thread, I apologize.
> I initiated the thread "9.10 Frustrations". This post quoted from my
> thread but put on a different subject. I believe that there is now a
> new thread going which, I believe, is addressing the problem that I
> submitted.

You appear to have initiated both threads! Nevermind
Have a look at Florian’s last post in 9.10 Frustrations and we’ll follow
that one.

--
Steve