Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Alistair Cunningham

Default Large numbers of virtual desktops

I'm currently using Debian with fvwm2. I'm about about buy a new laptop,
and am considering switching to Ubuntu.

I work on large numbers of remote machines, with SSH windows to each. I
have 16x16 fvwm virtual desktops. Yes, that's 256 in total. At any time,
I'm using perhaps 100 to 200 of them. In each virtual desktop is a
maximized xterm. I have a mental map of which one points to which remote
machine. I can switch rapidly between them using CTRL-arrows. I much
prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, which I find slow and clumsy.

Does anything like this exist for Ubuntu? If so, you probably have a
convert!

--
Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111

Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Florian Diesch

Alistair Cunningham <acunningham@integrics.com> writes:

> I'm currently using Debian with fvwm2. I'm about about buy a new laptop,
> and am considering switching to Ubuntu.
>
> I work on large numbers of remote machines, with SSH windows to each. I
> have 16x16 fvwm virtual desktops. Yes, that's 256 in total. At any time,

For me 5x5 is enough - but some people still call it obsessive ;-)

> I'm using perhaps 100 to 200 of them. In each virtual desktop is a
> maximized xterm. I have a mental map of which one points to which remote
> machine. I can switch rapidly between them using CTRL-arrows. I much
> prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, which I find slow and clumsy.
>
> Does anything like this exist for Ubuntu? If so, you probably have a
> convert!

You can use fvwm in Ubuntu, too, either standalone or as a
window manager for Gnome.

I'm not sure if Metacity (Gnome's default window manager) lets you
switch virtual desktops with the keyboard. I'm using Compiz with the
"Desktop Wall" plugin to switch desktops using the keyboard.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/shell-scripts/>

Old 12-18-2009, 09:54 PM
NoOp

On 12/18/2009 02:22 PM, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
> I'm currently using Debian with fvwm2. I'm about about buy a new laptop,
> and am considering switching to Ubuntu.
>
> I work on large numbers of remote machines, with SSH windows to each. I
> have 16x16 fvwm virtual desktops. Yes, that's 256 in total. At any time,
> I'm using perhaps 100 to 200 of them. In each virtual desktop is a
> maximized xterm. I have a mental map of which one points to which remote
> machine. I can switch rapidly between them using CTRL-arrows. I much
> prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, which I find slow and clumsy.
>
> Does anything like this exist for Ubuntu? If so, you probably have a
> convert!

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/fvwm
Package: fvwm (1:2.5.27.ds-5) [universe]

Give it a spin & see if it meets your requirements.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Steve

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:41:20 -0000, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net>
wrote:

> Alistair Cunningham <acunningham@integrics.com> writes:
>
>> I'm currently using Debian with fvwm2. I'm about about buy a new laptop,
>> and am considering switching to Ubuntu.
>>
>> I work on large numbers of remote machines, with SSH windows to each. I
>> have 16x16 fvwm virtual desktops. Yes, that's 256 in total. At any time,
>
> For me 5x5 is enough - but some people still call it obsessive ;-)
>

>> I'm using perhaps 100 to 200 of them. In each virtual desktop is a
>> maximized xterm. I have a mental map of which one points to which remote
>> machine. I can switch rapidly between them using CTRL-arrows. I much
>> prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, which I find slow and clumsy.
>>
>> Does anything like this exist for Ubuntu? If so, you probably have a
>> convert!
>
> You can use fvwm in Ubuntu, too, either standalone or as a
> window manager for Gnome.
>
> I'm not sure if Metacity (Gnome's default window manager) lets you
> switch virtual desktops with the keyboard. I'm using Compiz with the
> "Desktop Wall" plugin to switch desktops using the keyboard.

Ctrl+Alt and arrow keys move the workspaces with metacity and it does
allow 16x16
--
Steve

Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 PM
"TopBot ."

how do u increase no of desktops in 9.04?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Alistair Cunningham

Steve wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:41:20 -0000, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net>
> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if Metacity (Gnome's default window manager) lets you
>> switch virtual desktops with the keyboard. I'm using Compiz with the
>> "Desktop Wall" plugin to switch desktops using the keyboard.
>>
> Ctrl+Alt and arrow keys move the workspaces with metacity and it does
> allow 16x16

Excellent, thank you!

Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111
+44 20 799 39 799
http://integrics.com/

Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 AM
"TopBot ."

any1 knows how do u increase no of desktops in ubuntu 9.04?
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Alistair Cunningham <acunningham@integrics.com> wrote:

Steve wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:41:20 -0000, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net>

> wrote:

>> I'm not sure if Metacity (Gnome's default window manager) lets you

>> switch virtual desktops with the keyboard. I'm using Compiz with the

>> "Desktop Wall" plugin to switch desktops using the keyboard.

> Ctrl+Alt and arrow keys move the workspaces with metacity and it does

> allow 16x16

Excellent, thank you!

Alistair Cunningham

+1 888 468 3111

+44 20 799 39 799

http://integrics.com/

TopBot.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:59 PM
n3mo

Hi,
I use Ubuntu 9.04 with fvwm-crystal and 8 desktops, but you can make them more and more. Try it yourself and you'll fall inlove with it. It's fvwm with some nice effects.

2009/12/19 Alistair Cunningham <acunningham@integrics.com>

Steve wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:41:20 -0000, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net>

> wrote:

>> I'm not sure if Metacity (Gnome's default window manager) lets you

>> switch virtual desktops with the keyboard. I'm using Compiz with the

>> "Desktop Wall" plugin to switch desktops using the keyboard.

> Ctrl+Alt and arrow keys move the workspaces with metacity and it does

> allow 16x16

Excellent, thank you!

Alistair Cunningham

+1 888 468 3111

+44 20 799 39 799

http://integrics.com/

Old 12-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/12/18 Alistair Cunningham <acunningham@integrics.com>:
> I'm currently using Debian with fvwm2. I'm about about buy a new laptop,
> and am considering switching to Ubuntu.
>
> I work on large numbers of remote machines, with SSH windows to each. I
> have 16x16 fvwm virtual desktops. Yes, that's 256 in total. At any time,
> I'm using perhaps 100 to 200 of them. In each virtual desktop is a
> maximized xterm. I have a mental map of which one points to which remote
> machine. I can switch rapidly between them using CTRL-arrows. I much
> prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, which I find slow and clumsy.
>
> Does anything like this exist for Ubuntu? If so, you probably have a
> convert!

I use Compiz Fusion for this. Currently I use 4×4 desktops which is 4
cubes with 4 sides each (you can not have a desktop on the top and
bottom sides). To see all the desktops at once I hit Ctrl+Alt+↓, but I
am not sure if I configured this myself or if it is a default setting.

I have tried to have 32×32 desktops, which is 1024 desktops, and it
worked, but the miniatures are so small that it's hard to see what is
on each desktop when viewing them all at once. I found that 4×4 works
for me, but I rarely use more than 1×4, sometimes 1×4 + 1 or something
like that.

But if you need 16×16, you can do it with Compiz Fusion, that's for sure.

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 12-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/12/19 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/18 Alistair Cunningham <acunningham@integrics.com>:
>> I'm currently using Debian with fvwm2. I'm about about buy a new laptop,
>> and am considering switching to Ubuntu.
>>
>> I work on large numbers of remote machines, with SSH windows to each. I
>> have 16x16 fvwm virtual desktops. Yes, that's 256 in total. At any time,
>> I'm using perhaps 100 to 200 of them. In each virtual desktop is a
>> maximized xterm. I have a mental map of which one points to which remote
>> machine. I can switch rapidly between them using CTRL-arrows. I much
>> prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, which I find slow and clumsy.
>>
>> Does anything like this exist for Ubuntu? If so, you probably have a
>> convert!
>
> I use Compiz Fusion for this. Currently I use 4×4 desktops which is 4
> cubes with 4 sides each (you can not have a desktop on the top and
> bottom sides). To see all the desktops at once I hit Ctrl+Alt+↓, but I
> am not sure if I configured this myself or if it is a default setting.
>
> I have tried to have 32×32 desktops, which is 1024 desktops, and it
> worked, but the miniatures are so small that it's hard to see what is
> on each desktop when viewing them all at once. I found that 4×4 works
> for me, but I rarely use more than 1×4, sometimes 1×4 + 1 or something
> like that.
>
> But if you need 16×16, you can do it with Compiz Fusion, that's for sure.

By the way, Conpiz Fusion comes with Ubuntu by default these days, but
you need to install ccsm (Compiz Config Settings Manager) manually, I
think. It's probably as simple as ”sudo apt-get install ccsm”.

There is also a ”Simple ccsm” but I didn't try it myself.

Johnny Rosenberg