Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 PM
NoOp

Default HDD LED pulsing/flashing every second - any cure?

On 12/18/2009 01:57 AM, Ardo Gorria wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 9.10 in a fairly standard configuration on an Asus
> P5KPL-CM motherboard. I have one WD SATA HDD and one Samsung SATA SH-S223
> DVD drive.
>
> In addition to normal HDD activity the HDD LED is pulsing about one a second
> when the computer is 'idle'. I Googled and the consensus is, that the DVD is
> being checked for the insertion of a disk about once every second. Sure
> enough, I have tried disconnecting the SATA DVD and the LED pulsing stops.
>
> In view of the above I guess that the pulsing is probably normal as the
> driver is checking the DVD for disk insertion but I am curious if there is
> any way to stop the flashing from happening?

Can you provide the output of:
$ ps aux | grep devkit-disks
and
$ apt-cache policy devicekit-disks

Old 12-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Ardo Gorria

Certainly, and thanks for looking at it for me:-

root@rinax:/# ps aux | grep devkit-disks
root***** 1760* 0.0* 0.1** 5012* 2760 ?******* S*** 09:37** 0:00 /usr/lib/devicekit-disks/devkit-disks-daemon

root***** 1765* 0.0* 0.0** 4824** 752 ?******* S*** 09:37** 0:00 devkit-disks-daemon: polling /dev/sr0
root***** 2046* 0.0* 0.0** 3040** 800 pts/0*** S+** 09:52** 0:00 grep devkit-disks

root@rinax:/# apt-cache policy devicekit-disks

devicekit-disks:
* Installed: 007-2ubuntu4
* Candidate: 007-2ubuntu4
* Version table:
**** 007-2ubuntu4 0
******* 500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main Packages

******* 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
**** 007-2ubuntu3 0
******* 500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages

Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 01:55 AM, Ardo Gorria wrote:
> Certainly, and thanks for looking at it for me:-
>

> root@rinax:/# ps aux | grep devkit-disks
> root 1760 0.0 0.1 5012 2760 ? S 09:37 0:00
> /usr/lib/devicekit-disks/devkit-disks-daemon
> root 1765 0.0 0.0 4824 752 ? S 09:37 0:00
> devkit-disks-daemon: polling /dev/sr0
> root 2046 0.0 0.0 3040 800 pts/0 S+ 09:52 0:00 grep
> devkit-disks

Thanks. I thought that perhaps devkit-disks might be polling for a floppy.

> root@rinax:/# apt-cache policy devicekit-disks
> devicekit-disks:
> Installed: 007-2ubuntu4
> Candidate: 007-2ubuntu4
> Version table:
> *** 007-2ubuntu4 0
> 500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 007-2ubuntu3 0
> 500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages

That's current.

Just to eliminate devkit-disks, can you please kill the process sr0 and
see if the flashing stops?

$ sudo kill 1765

If not then

$ sudo kill 1760

Note: if you've rebooted since your last post you'll have to check
devkit-disks again to get the correct pid.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Ardo Gorria

OK, tried that. I had rebooted so found the two current process numbers and killed them in order, checking after each one. The one second pulsing of the HDD light still happens. It is once a second because I put a clock next to the computer and checked.

Certainly, if I shut down and restart after disconnecting the SATA DVD writer the pulsing stops. Last night I swapped the Samsung DVD writer for a SATA Optiarc writer but the pulsing continued. I also tried moving the DVD to a different SATA channel but the pulsing continues.

I guess the next thing is to stop the boot at the BIOS screen and see if the pulsing occurs and if so, try booting from another flavour of linux on a live disk. That will take me a few days because the computer is located in a bedroom with no monitor or keyboard/mouse and I'll not be too popular with Xmas coming up.

I also wondered if it might be something to do with the Asus motherboard. I've Googled for quite some time but not come up with anything conclusive. Most people writing about the issue are Windows users.

It's no big deal, and the computer works really well, it's just I'd be interested what is causing the pulsing.

Many thanks for you help.

Ardo.