Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Jatin Davey

Default Could not calculate the upgrade -- Error Message (While doing Manual Update)

Jatin Davey wrote:
> Hi all
>
> While doing the manual update of the ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop using
> the GUI i get this error message.
> *"Could not calculate the upgrade".*
>
> It basically reads something from the cache and it goes on for about
> 25 mins then i get this error message.
>
> Complete Message is as below:
>
> *Could not calculate the upgrade
>
> An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
> E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>
> This can be caused by:
> * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
> * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
> * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
>
> This is most likely a transient problem, please try again later.*
>

> Please help me on resolving this issue.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

I would like to add one more information that tried with the terminal.
Basicallt i was trying to update the entire ubuntu box for any new
packages using the GUI, Since it failed as described in the above mail i
tried the apt-get command. I tried the following:

firstly i gave the command : sudo apt-get update
then i gave the command : sudo apt-get upgrade

The result of doing this was that i got 2 packages upgraded in my system.

So what i infer is that the GUI is not working properly but the system
gets updated using the terminal. Please let me know if i am missing
something here.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 12-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Steve

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:46:39 -0000, Jatin Davey <daveyjatin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jatin Davey wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> While doing the manual update of the ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop using
>> the GUI i get this error message.
>> *"Could not calculate the upgrade".*
>>
>> It basically reads something from the cache and it goes on for about
>> 25 mins then i get this error message.
>>
>> Complete Message is as below:
>>
>> *Could not calculate the upgrade
>>
>> An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
>> E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>
>> This can be caused by:
>> * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
>> * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
>> * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
>>
>> This is most likely a transient problem, please try again later.*
>>

>> Please help me on resolving this issue.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin
>>

> I would like to add one more information that tried with the terminal.
> Basicallt i was trying to update the entire ubuntu box for any new
> packages using the GUI, Since it failed as described in the above mail i
> tried the apt-get command. I tried the following:
>
> firstly i gave the command : sudo apt-get update
> then i gave the command : sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> The result of doing this was that i got 2 packages upgraded in my system.
>
> So what i infer is that the GUI is not working properly but the system
> gets updated using the terminal. Please let me know if i am missing
> something here.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

Have you tried the GUI since then?
As it says "This is most likely a transient problem, please try again
later."

--
Steve

Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 PM
NoOp

On 12/18/2009 09:46 AM, Jatin Davey wrote:

> I would like to add one more information that tried with the terminal.
> Basicallt i was trying to update the entire ubuntu box for any new
> packages using the GUI, Since it failed as described in the above mail i
> tried the apt-get command. I tried the following:
>
> firstly i gave the command : sudo apt-get update
> then i gave the command : sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> The result of doing this was that i got 2 packages upgraded in my system.
>
> So what i infer is that the GUI is not working properly but the system
> gets updated using the terminal. Please let me know if i am missing
> something here.

A few things you might check:
1. Look in Synaptic|Custom Filters|Broken and see if you have any
'Broken' packages there.
2. $ sudo apt-get install -f
3. $ sudo apt-get autoremove -s

On the last, the '-s' will cause a 'simulation' of the command an show
you what would be removed with out the '-s'. If you have old packages in
there that are no longer needed, then go ahead and run the command
without the '-s'.
$ man apt-get
will provide more information about autoremove, '-f' etc.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:49 AM
Jatin Davey

Steve wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:46:39 -0000, Jatin Davey <daveyjatin@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Jatin Davey wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> While doing the manual update of the ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop using
>>> the GUI i get this error message.
>>> *"Could not calculate the upgrade".*
>>>
>>> It basically reads something from the cache and it goes on for about
>>> 25 mins then i get this error message.
>>>
>>> Complete Message is as below:
>>>
>>> *Could not calculate the upgrade
>>>
>>> An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
>>> E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>>
>>> This can be caused by:
>>> * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
>>> * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
>>> * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
>>>
>>> This is most likely a transient problem, please try again later.*
>>>

>>> Please help me on resolving this issue.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Jatin
>>>

>> I would like to add one more information that tried with the terminal.
>> Basicallt i was trying to update the entire ubuntu box for any new
>> packages using the GUI, Since it failed as described in the above mail i
>> tried the apt-get command. I tried the following:
>>
>> firstly i gave the command : sudo apt-get update
>> then i gave the command : sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
>> The result of doing this was that i got 2 packages upgraded in my system.
>>
>> So what i infer is that the GUI is not working properly but the system
>> gets updated using the terminal. Please let me know if i am missing
>> something here.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin
>>

> Have you tried the GUI since then?
> As it says "This is most likely a transient problem, please try again
> later."

I tried a couple of times yesterday night (IST) , Will try again today
and let you what happened.
If it is not working then is it related to GUI as it works fine when i
use terminal and use the apt-get command.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 12-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Jatin Davey

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/18/2009 09:46 AM, Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> I would like to add one more information that tried with the terminal.
>> Basicallt i was trying to update the entire ubuntu box for any new
>> packages using the GUI, Since it failed as described in the above mail i
>> tried the apt-get command. I tried the following:
>>
>> firstly i gave the command : sudo apt-get update
>> then i gave the command : sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
>> The result of doing this was that i got 2 packages upgraded in my system.
>>
>> So what i infer is that the GUI is not working properly but the system
>> gets updated using the terminal. Please let me know if i am missing
>> something here.
>>

> A few things you might check:
> 1. Look in Synaptic|Custom Filters|Broken and see if you have any
> 'Broken' packages there.
> 2. $ sudo apt-get install -f
> 3. $ sudo apt-get autoremove -s
>
> On the last, the '-s' will cause a 'simulation' of the command an show
> you what would be removed with out the '-s'. If you have old packages in
> there that are no longer needed, then go ahead and run the command
> without the '-s'.
> $ man apt-get
> will provide more information about autoremove, '-f' etc.

Noop, I tried the following steps:

1. Opened the synaptic package manager and scrolled to custom filters
and checked for any broken packages.
2. No broken packages were found here.
3. Opened the terminal and typed the following command : sudo apt-get
install -f
4. Then issued the command : sudo apt-get autoremove -s (It showed me
that i have 7 packages for upgrade)
5. Did not give yes and exited the terminal.

Since i found that i have 7 packages required upgrade i issued the
following commands:
1. sudo apt-get update
2. sudo apt-get upgrade

Now just to check whether the old problem is still persisting i tried
the update manager GUI but still i am seeing the earlier mentioned error
on the GUI.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Steve

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 06:05:32 -0000, Jatin Davey <daveyjatin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/18/2009 09:46 AM, Jatin Davey wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to add one more information that tried with the terminal.
>>> Basicallt i was trying to update the entire ubuntu box for any new
>>> packages using the GUI, Since it failed as described in the above mail
>>> tried the apt-get command. I tried the following:
>>>
>>> firstly i gave the command : sudo apt-get update
>>> then i gave the command : sudo apt-get upgrade
>>>
>>> The result of doing this was that i got 2 packages upgraded in my
>>> system.
>>>
>>> So what i infer is that the GUI is not working properly but the system
>>> gets updated using the terminal. Please let me know if i am missing
>>> something here.
>>>

>> A few things you might check:
>> 1. Look in Synaptic|Custom Filters|Broken and see if you have any
>> 'Broken' packages there.
>> 2. $ sudo apt-get install -f
>> 3. $ sudo apt-get autoremove -s
>>
>> On the last, the '-s' will cause a 'simulation' of the command an show
>> you what would be removed with out the '-s'. If you have old packages in
>> there that are no longer needed, then go ahead and run the command
>> without the '-s'.
>> $ man apt-get
>> will provide more information about autoremove, '-f' etc.
>>

> Noop, I tried the following steps:
>
> 1. Opened the synaptic package manager and scrolled to custom filters
> and checked for any broken packages.
> 2. No broken packages were found here.
> 3. Opened the terminal and typed the following command : sudo apt-get
> install -f
> 4. Then issued the command : sudo apt-get autoremove -s (It showed me
> that i have 7 packages for upgrade)
> 5. Did not give yes and exited the terminal.
>
> Since i found that i have 7 packages required upgrade i issued the
> following commands:
> 1. sudo apt-get update
> 2. sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> Now just to check whether the old problem is still persisting i tried
> the update manager GUI but still i am seeing the earlier mentioned error
> on the GUI.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

Try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, answer no and post the error messages, if
any.

--
Steve

Old 12-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Jatin Davey

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 06:05:32 -0000, Jatin Davey <daveyjatin@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> NoOp wrote:

>>> A few things you might check:
>>> 1. Look in Synaptic|Custom Filters|Broken and see if you have any
>>> 'Broken' packages there.
>>> 2. $ sudo apt-get install -f
>>> 3. $ sudo apt-get autoremove -s
>>>
>>> On the last, the '-s' will cause a 'simulation' of the command an show
>>> you what would be removed with out the '-s'. If you have old packages in
>>> there that are no longer needed, then go ahead and run the command
>>> without the '-s'.
>>> $ man apt-get
>>> will provide more information about autoremove, '-f' etc.
>>>

>> Noop, I tried the following steps:
>>
>> 1. Opened the synaptic package manager and scrolled to custom filters
>> and checked for any broken packages.
>> 2. No broken packages were found here.
>> 3. Opened the terminal and typed the following command : sudo apt-get
>> install -f
>> 4. Then issued the command : sudo apt-get autoremove -s (It showed me
>> that i have 7 packages for upgrade)
>> 5. Did not give yes and exited the terminal.
>>
>> Since i found that i have 7 packages required upgrade i issued the
>> following commands:
>> 1. sudo apt-get update
>> 2. sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
>> Now just to check whether the old problem is still persisting i tried
>> the update manager GUI but still i am seeing the earlier mentioned error
>> on the GUI.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin
>>

> Try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, answer no and post the error messages, if
> any.

Hi Steve

As you said i issued the following command : sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Got the following message : "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 156 to
remove and 0 not upgraded." , Gave the option as "no" and did not
receive any error message. Pasting the entire snippet :

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 156 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 433MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
jatin@jatin-laptop:~$

Thanks
Jatin

Old 12-19-2009, 06:58 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 08:56 AM, Jatin Davey wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>> Try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, answer no and post the error messages, if
>> any.
>>

> Hi Steve
>
> As you said i issued the following command : sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> Got the following message : "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 156 to
> remove and 0 not upgraded." , Gave the option as "no" and did not
> receive any error message. Pasting the entire snippet :
>
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 156 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> After this operation, 433MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
> Abort.
> jatin@jatin-laptop:~$

Go ahead and do the 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' then do
sudo apt-get update
(note don't do the 'sudo apt-get upgrade' just yet)
Then use the update manager & click 'Check'. Let us know what it does.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Jatin Davey

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/19/2009 08:56 AM, Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:

>>> Try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, answer no and post the error messages, if
>>> any.
>>>

>> Hi Steve
>>
>> As you said i issued the following command : sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>> Got the following message : "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 156 to
>> remove and 0 not upgraded." , Gave the option as "no" and did not
>> receive any error message. Pasting the entire snippet :
>>
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 156 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>> After this operation, 433MB disk space will be freed.
>> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
>> Abort.
>> jatin@jatin-laptop:~$
>>

> Go ahead and do the 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' then do
> sudo apt-get update
> (note don't do the 'sudo apt-get upgrade' just yet)
> Then use the update manager & click 'Check'. Let us know what it does.

Hi Noop

You have asked me to do the following:

1. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (It is asking me to remove 156 packages to
be removed. Should i select "yes" for it)

I tried no for the above step and then gave sudo apt-get update but
still the problem persists.

Thanks
Jatin

Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM
NoOp

.
> Hi Noop
>
> You have asked me to do the following:
>
> 1. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (It is asking me to remove 156 packages to
> be removed. Should i select "yes" for it)

Yes.