Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 PM
packet

Default mc760 usb modem prob

How can i get mc760 usb modem to work with usb_modeswitch or is there
any other way to get this to work in ubuntu 9.10?

Old 12-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Steve

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:44:28 -0000, packet <fasteliteprogrammer@gmail.com>
wrote:

> How can i get mc760 usb modem to work with usb_modeswitch or is there
> any other way to get this to work in ubuntu 9.10?

What have you tried, what errors are you getting?

--
Steve

Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 PM
packet

Steve wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:44:28 -0000, packet <fasteliteprogrammer@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> perlsyntax@perlsyntax-laptop:~$ usb_modeswitch
>>
>> * usb_modeswitch: tool for controlling "flip flop" mode USB devices
>> * Version 1.0.2 (C) Josua Dietze 2009
>> * Works with libusb 0.1.12 and probably other versions
>>
>> No default vendor/product ID given. Aborting.
>> Any i did try the usb_modeswitch -i

I not sure what i doing wroung.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:51 PM
packet

Steve wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:44:28 -0000, packet <fasteliteprogrammer@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> How can i get mc760 usb modem to work with usb_modeswitch or is there
>> any other way to get this to work in ubuntu 9.10?
>>
>> Well i try usb_modeswitch -i

But not sure what i doing wroung the networkmanger will not pick the
modem up.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Steve

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:51:08 -0000, packet <fasteliteprogrammer@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:44:28 -0000, packet
>> <fasteliteprogrammer@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> How can i get mc760 usb modem to work with usb_modeswitch or is there
>>> any other way to get this to work in ubuntu 9.10?
>>>
>>> Well i try usb_modeswitch -i
>
> But not sure what i doing wroung the networkmanger will not pick the
> modem up.
>> What have you tried, what errors are you getting?

Have you tried it with windows to see if it’s a functional device. I
would have thought a product/vendor id would be found with lsusb if it’s
functioning properly.

--
Steve

Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 PM
packet

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:51:08 -0000, packet <fasteliteprogrammer@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Steve wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:44:28 -0000, packet
>>> <fasteliteprogrammer@gmail.com>

>> But not sure what i doing wroung the networkmanger will not pick the
>> modem up.
>>
>>> What have you tried, what errors are you getting?
>>>

> Have you tried it with windows to see if it’s a functional device. I
> would have thought a product/vendor id would be found with lsusb if it’s
> functioning properly.

I try windows and it work on windows xp just fine.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Steve

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:31:20 -0000, packet <fasteliteprogrammer@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:51:08 -0000, packet
>> <fasteliteprogrammer@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> But not sure what i doing wroung the networkmanger will not pick the
>>> modem up.

>> Have you tried it with windows to see if it’s a functional device. I
>> would have thought a product/vendor id would be found with lsusb if it’s
>> functioning properly.
>>

> I try windows and it work on windows xp just fine.

That’s good, at least you’re not chasing around after a dead device. What
does lsusb produce.

--
Steve

Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 08:31 AM, packet wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>>>
>> Have you tried it with windows to see if it’s a functional device. I
>> would have thought a product/vendor id would be found with lsusb if it’s
>> functioning properly.
>>

> I try windows and it work on windows xp just fine.

These may be of interest:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/network-manager/+bug/390749
[Support for Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go USB Card (MV760 & Sprint EV-DO)]

But probably of more interest:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-usb/2009/4/26/5569364/thread
<quote>
I have a Novatel MC760 and I'm looking to improve the support of it in
Linux. It's one of these devices that can appear as one of two different
products. It first appears as a mass storage device (specifically, a CD
drive). If you call /usr/bin/eject on it, it then disconnects and
reappears as a serial device and is fully functional. (It also presents
as a card reader; it has a micro SD slot in it. I haven't tested this
functionality.)
</quote>

So it appears that if you eject it via /usr/bin/eject that it should
reapper as the serial device. When you plug it in, do you get a CD icon
on your desktop? If so, you can try right-clicking and selecting 'eject'
and then try the modem that way.

Note: I don't have one of these devices... just did a bit of googling &
searching launchpad and came across the above.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 PM
NoOp

On 12/19/2009 12:26 PM, NoOp wrote:
> These may be of interest:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/network-manager/+bug/390749
> [Support for Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go USB Card (MV760 & Sprint EV-DO)]
>
> But probably of more interest:
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-usb/2009/4/26/5569364/thread
> <quote>
> I have a Novatel MC760 and I'm looking to improve the support of it in
> Linux. It's one of these devices that can appear as one of two different
> products. It first appears as a mass storage device (specifically, a CD
> drive). If you call /usr/bin/eject on it, it then disconnects and
> reappears as a serial device and is fully functional. (It also presents
> as a card reader; it has a micro SD slot in it. I haven't tested this
> functionality.)
> </quote>
>
> So it appears that if you eject it via /usr/bin/eject that it should
> reapper as the serial device. When you plug it in, do you get a CD icon
> on your desktop? If so, you can try right-clicking and selecting 'eject'
> and then try the modem that way.
>
> Note: I don't have one of these devices... just did a bit of googling &
> searching launchpad and came across the above.

Sorry; one more:
[sprint u760 and ubuntu 9.04]

Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 PM
NoOp