Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Ardo Gorria

Default HDD LED pulsing/flashing every second - any cure?

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 in a fairly standard configuration on an Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard. I have one WD SATA HDD and one Samsung SATA SH-S223 DVD drive.

In addition to normal HDD activity the HDD LED is pulsing about one a second when the computer is 'idle'. I Googled and the consensus is, that the DVD is being checked for the insertion of a disk about once every second. Sure enough, I have tried disconnecting the SATA DVD and the LED pulsing stops.

In view of the above I guess that the pulsing is probably normal as the driver is checking the DVD for disk insertion but I am curious if there is any way to stop the flashing from happening?

Thank you.

Ardo.