Old 12-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Peter Sørensen

Default bootloogd does'nt work in 9.04

Hi,

How to enable boot messages logging?
Enabling BOOTLOGD in /etc/default/syslogd does'nt work in 9.04.

I'm trying to solve some init scripts upstart problems and need a copy of
all messages sent to the console. Bootlogd seems to be the answer but
apparently the bootlogd program is'nt installed.

I've seen some workarounds to install it and some comments on why it is'nt installed

But still I would like to ask all the experts here - what would be the best way tol solve
this problem?

Best regards

Peter Sørensen
University of Southern Denmark/email: maspsr@sdu.dk

Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> Enabling BOOTLOGD in /etc/default/syslogd does'nt work in
> 9.04.
>
> I'm trying to solve some init scripts upstart problems and
> need a copy of
> all messages sent to the console. Bootlogd seems to be the
> answer but
> apparently the bootlogd program is'nt installed.
>
> I've seen some workarounds to install it and some comments
> on why it is'nt* installed
>
> But still I would like to ask all the experts here - what
> would be the best way tol solve
> this problem?
>
> Best regards

I think bootlogd has been disabled in Ubuntu for the last several issues. I have asked about this same problem and AIR, the only reply was that it was disabled and can't be made to work. I would like to get bootlogd working so if you find out how, please let me and the list know the solution.
Regarding your info needed to troubleshoot, you can probably find all the boot messages outputs in /var/log/syslog, dmesg and /var/log/messages, debug and kernel logs. Not a nice solution but most, if not all, info should be there.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Tom H

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/howto-workaround-broken-upstart-boot-logging-746468/

Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Tom H wrote:
>>> How to enable boot messages logging?
>>> Enabling BOOTLOGD in /etc/default/syslogd does'nt work in
>>> 9.04.
>>> I'm trying to solve some init scripts upstart problems and
>>> need a copy of
>>> all messages sent to the console. Bootlogd seems to be the
>>> answer but
>>> apparently the bootlogd program is'nt installed.
>>> I've seen some workarounds to install it and some comments
>>> on why it is'nt installed
>>> But still I would like to ask all the experts here - what
>>> would be the best way tol solve
>>> this problem?
>>>

>> I think bootlogd has been disabled in Ubuntu for the last
>> several issues. I have asked about this same problem and AIR,
>> the only reply was that it was disabled and can't be made to
>> work. I would like to get bootlogd working so if you find out
>> how, please let me and the list know the solution. Regarding
>> your info needed to troubleshoot, you can probably find all the
>> boot messages outputs in /var/log/syslog, dmesg and /var/log/messages,
>> debug and kernel logs. Not a nice solution but most, if not all,
>> info should be there.
>>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/howto-workaround-broken-upstart-boot-logging-746468/

All well and good but: Solution requires compiling and in my opinion,
Ubuntu should fix it without requiring non-geek types like me to compile
a solution for what I have considered normal output for any OS. There
was mention of a non-compiled solution, if I understood correctly,
from a link withing your reference. It seems a bootlogd_2.86.02.tar.gz
<http://launchpadlibrarian.net/11578525/bootlogd_2.86.02.tar.gz>was
shown in the link by Sergei Ivanov <https://launchpad.net/%7Esvivanov>
and I read it all via Ark but
not any info where to put it or any details of what to do. So, I didn't
feel safe in trying to use the so-called non-compiled solution. Whether
Ubuntu uses sysv or upstart, it seems that something in the nature of
bootlogd is needed and appropriate to be there. Just my $.02.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Peter Sørensen

Hi

After googling around to find a solution I tried the simplest one suggesting to
install the sysvinit package. This will remove some upstart packages and I'm not
sure if this will cause any problems in the long rung but I got the bootlogd daemon
function and finally got some info in the /var/log/boot

Be aware that you need a forced reboot after installing. Reboot -f

This is the console info and this will not show up in any other logfiles like syslog,dmesg,messages,....

It gave me the necessary info to solve my problem, which by the way was that some init scripts
that was softlinked to a NFS mount did'nt start.

I solved this by putting a sleep 10 in /etc/rc.local. This was a timing problem.

Best regards

Peter

Old 12-24-2009, 07:21 PM
NoOp

On 12/18/2009 12:05 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

>>> I think bootlogd has been disabled in Ubuntu for the last
>>> several issues. I have asked about this same problem and AIR,
>>> the only reply was that it was disabled and can't be made to
>>> work. I would like to get bootlogd working so if you find out
>>> how, please let me and the list know the solution. Regarding
>>> your info needed to troubleshoot, you can probably find all the
>>> boot messages outputs in /var/log/syslog, dmesg and /var/log/messages,
>>> debug and kernel logs. Not a nice solution but most, if not all,
>>> info should be there.
>>>
>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/howto-workaround-broken-upstart-boot-logging-746468/
>>

> All well and good but: Solution requires compiling and in my opinion,
> Ubuntu should fix it without requiring non-geek types like me to compile
> a solution for what I have considered normal output for any OS. There
> was mention of a non-compiled solution, if I understood correctly,
> from a link withing your reference. It seems a bootlogd_2.86.02.tar.gz
> <http://launchpadlibrarian.net/11578525/bootlogd_2.86.02.tar.gz>was
> shown in the link by Sergei Ivanov <https://launchpad.net/%7Esvivanov>
> and I read it all via Ark but
> not any info where to put it or any details of what to do. So, I didn't
> feel safe in trying to use the so-called non-compiled solution. Whether
> Ubuntu uses sysv or upstart, it seems that something in the nature of
> bootlogd is needed and appropriate to be there. Just my $.02.

Just as an added note: sysvinit-utils (which now includes bootlogd) is
now included in karmic by default (at least on a fresh install test
system).
$ apt-cache policy sysvinit-utils
sysvinit-utils:
Installed: 2.87dsf-4ubuntu12
Candidate: 2.87dsf-4ubuntu12
Version table:
*** 2.87dsf-4ubuntu12 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2.87dsf-4ubuntu11 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages

bootlogd seems to work in karmic (for me) - sample /var/log/boot file
for the 21st:

> Mon Dec 21 10:00:55 2009: ^[[74G[ OK ]init crypto disks... ^[[80G
> Mon Dec 21 10:00:58 2009: * Stopping NTP server ntpd
> Mon Dec 21 10:00:58 2009: * Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server sshd
> Mon Dec 21 10:00:58 2009: * nmbd is running
> Mon Dec 21 10:01:00 2009: * Starting NTP server ntpd
> Mon Dec 21 10:21:00 2009: * Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd ^[[80G init: rsyslog-kmsg main process (903) killed by TERM signal
> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009: acpid: exiting
> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009:
> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009: init: Disconnected from system bus
> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009: modem-manager: Caught signal 15, shutting down...
> Mon Dec 21 23:06:31 2009: dhcdbd: Shut down.

Now this system has had the daemon enabled as far back as I can
remember(fiesty I think) & I hadn't bothered to check lately, as I
figured that nothing was working. Anyway, appears that it is.

$ cat /etc/default/bootlogd
# Run bootlogd at startup ?
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes

Edit back to BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=No if you'd like to not have bootlogd run
at startup.

Start the daemon:
$ sudo update-rc.d bootlogd defaults
update-rc.d: warning: bootlogd start runlevel arguments (2 3 4 5) do not
match LSB Default-Start values (S)
update-rc.d: warning: bootlogd stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/bootlogd ...
/etc/rc0.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
/etc/rc1.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
/etc/rc6.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
/etc/rc2.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
/etc/rc3.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
/etc/rc4.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
/etc/rc5.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd

Not sure about the warning issues. I already have it running on this
system from previously & the above is the output from the new karmic system.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:34 PM
NoOp

On 12/24/2009 12:21 PM, NoOp wrote:

> bootlogd seems to work in karmic (for me) - sample /var/log/boot file
> for the 21st:
>
>> Mon Dec 21 10:00:55 2009: ^[[74G[ OK ]init crypto disks... ^[[80G
>> Mon Dec 21 10:00:58 2009: * Stopping NTP server ntpd
>> Mon Dec 21 10:00:58 2009: * Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server sshd
>> Mon Dec 21 10:00:58 2009: * nmbd is running
>> Mon Dec 21 10:01:00 2009: * Starting NTP server ntpd
>> Mon Dec 21 10:21:00 2009: * Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd ^[[80G init: rsyslog-kmsg main process (903) killed by TERM signal
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009: acpid: exiting
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009:
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009: init: Disconnected from system bus
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009: modem-manager: Caught signal 15, shutting down...
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:31 2009: dhcdbd: Shut down.

And (again on karmic) I just restarted the system & the /var/log/boot~
for today file is showing:

> Thu Dec 24 09:53:55 2009: * Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd ^[[80G init: rsyslog-kmsg main process (551) killed by TERM signal
> Thu Dec 24 12:22:19 2009: init: Disconnected from system bus
> Thu Dec 24 12:22:19 2009: dhcdbd: Shut down.
> Thu Dec 24 12:22:19 2009: modem-manager: Caught signal 15, shutting down...
> Thu Dec 24 12:22:20 2009: init: usplash post-start process (5573) terminated with status 1

/var/log/boot is current 0 bytes & apparently doesn't get written to
until shutdown/restart.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Tom H

> Just as an added note: sysvinit-utils (which now includes bootlogd) is
> now included in karmic by default (at least on a fresh install test
> system).
> $ apt-cache policy sysvinit-utils
> sysvinit-utils:
> *Installed: 2.87dsf-4ubuntu12
> *Candidate: 2.87dsf-4ubuntu12
> *Version table:
> **** 2.87dsf-4ubuntu12 0
> * * * *500 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main Packages
> * * * *100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> * * 2.87dsf-4ubuntu11 0
> * * * *500 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages
>
> bootlogd seems to work in karmic (for me) - sample /var/log/boot file
> for the 21st:
>
>> Mon Dec 21 10:00:55 2009: ^[[74G[ OK ]init crypto disks... * * * ^[[80G
>> Mon Dec 21 10:00:58 2009: ** Stopping NTP server ntpd
>> Mon Dec 21 10:00:58 2009: ** Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server sshd
>> Mon Dec 21 10:00:58 2009: ** nmbd is running
>> Mon Dec 21 10:01:00 2009: ** Starting NTP server ntpd
>> Mon Dec 21 10:21:00 2009: ** Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd * * * ^[[80G init: rsyslog-kmsg main process (903) killed by TERM signal
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009: acpid: exiting
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009:
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009: init: Disconnected from system bus
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:30 2009: modem-manager: Caught signal 15, shutting down...
>> Mon Dec 21 23:06:31 2009: dhcdbd: Shut down.
>
> Now this system has had the daemon enabled as far back as I can
> remember(fiesty I think) & I hadn't bothered to check lately, as I
> figured that nothing was working. Anyway, appears that it is.
>
> $ cat /etc/default/bootlogd
> # Run bootlogd at startup ?
> BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes
>
> Edit back to BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=No if you'd like to not have bootlogd run
> at startup.
>
> Start the daemon:
> $ sudo update-rc.d bootlogd defaults
> update-rc.d: warning: bootlogd start runlevel arguments (2 3 4 5) do not
> match LSB Default-Start values (S)
> update-rc.d: warning: bootlogd stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
> match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
> *Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/bootlogd ...
> * /etc/rc0.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
> * /etc/rc1.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
> * /etc/rc6.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
> * /etc/rc2.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
> * /etc/rc3.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
> * /etc/rc4.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
> * /etc/rc5.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>
> Not sure about the warning issues. I already have it running on this
> system from previously & the above is the output from the new karmic system.

I am quite sure that a developer wrote on launchpad that bootlogd
would only be fixed for Karmic+2!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 PM
NoOp

On 12/24/2009 01:41 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> $ cat /etc/default/bootlogd
>> # Run bootlogd at startup ?
>> BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes
>>
>> Edit back to BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=No if you'd like to not have bootlogd run
>> at startup.
>>
>> Start the daemon:
>> $ sudo update-rc.d bootlogd defaults
>> update-rc.d: warning: bootlogd start runlevel arguments (2 3 4 5) do not
>> match LSB Default-Start values (S)
>> update-rc.d: warning: bootlogd stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
>> match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
>> Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/bootlogd ...
>> /etc/rc0.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>> /etc/rc1.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>> /etc/rc6.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>> /etc/rc2.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>> /etc/rc3.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>> /etc/rc4.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>> /etc/rc5.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>>
>> Not sure about the warning issues. I already have it running on this
>> system from previously & the above is the output from the new karmic system.
>
> I am quite sure that a developer wrote on launchpad that bootlogd
> would only be fixed for Karmic+2!

Yeah. It doesn't actually seem to be working properly; seems like a
buffer issue, as when I boot with just 'nosplash' (remove quiet splash).
I only get partial data:

> Thu Dec 24 14:05:50 2009: * Starting NTP server ntpd
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:50 2009: * Starting DenyHosts denyhosts ^[[80G * Running DKMS auto installation service for kernel 2.6.31-17-generic ^[[80G * nvidia (96.43.13)...
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:52 2009: ...done.
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:53 2009: * vboxdrv (3.1.2)...
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:53 2009: ...done.
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:53 2009: * vboxnetadp (3.1.2)...
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:53 2009: ...done.
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:54 2009: * vboxnetflt (3.1.2)...
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:54 2009: ...done.
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:54 2009: * Starting Samba daemons ^[[80G ^[[33m*^[[39;49m Speech-dispatcher configured for user sessions
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:55 2009: * Starting VirtualBox kernel module ^[[80G * Starting VirtualBox host networking ^[[80G * Starting Network connection manager wicd ^[[80G * Starting internet superserver xinetd ^[[80G * Starting DHCP D-Bus daemon dhcdbd
> Thu Dec 24 14:05:57 2009: * Enabling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support ^[[80G * Checking battery state... ^[[80G ...done.

Ah well... I reckon it's time to open the egg nog anyway :-)

Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/24/2009 01:41 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>> $ cat /etc/default/bootlogd
>>> # Run bootlogd at startup ?
>>> BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes
>>>
>>> Edit back to BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=No if you'd like to not have bootlogd run
>>> at startup.
>>>
>>> Start the daemon:
>>> $ sudo update-rc.d bootlogd defaults
>>> update-rc.d: warning: bootlogd start runlevel arguments (2 3 4 5) do not
>>> match LSB Default-Start values (S)
>>> update-rc.d: warning: bootlogd stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
>>> match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
>>> *Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/bootlogd ...
>>> * /etc/rc0.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>>> * /etc/rc1.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>>> * /etc/rc6.d/K20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>>> * /etc/rc2.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>>> * /etc/rc3.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>>> * /etc/rc4.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>>> * /etc/rc5.d/S20bootlogd -> ../init.d/bootlogd
>>>
>>> Not sure about the warning issues. I already have it running on this
>>> system from previously & the above is the output from the new karmic system.
>>
>> I am quite sure that a developer wrote on launchpad that bootlogd
>> would only be fixed for Karmic+2!
>>

> Yeah. It doesn't actually seem to be working properly; seems like a
> buffer issue, as when I boot with just 'nosplash' (remove quiet splash).
> I only get partial data:
>
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:50 2009: ** Starting NTP server ntpd
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:50 2009: ** Starting DenyHosts denyhosts * * * ^[[80G ** Running DKMS auto installation service for kernel 2.6.31-17-generic * * * ^[[80G ** *nvidia (96.43.13)...
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:52 2009: * *...done.
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:53 2009: ** *vboxdrv (3.1.2)...
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:53 2009: * *...done.
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:53 2009: ** *vboxnetadp (3.1.2)...
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:53 2009: * *...done.
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:54 2009: ** *vboxnetflt (3.1.2)...
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:54 2009: * *...done.
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:54 2009: ** Starting Samba daemons * * * ^[[80G *^[[33m*^[[39;49m Speech-dispatcher configured for user sessions
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:55 2009: ** Starting VirtualBox kernel module * * * ^[[80G ** Starting VirtualBox host networking * * * ^[[80G ** Starting Network connection manager wicd * * * ^[[80G ** Starting internet superserver xinetd * * * ^[[80G ** Starting DHCP D-Bus daemon dhcdbd
>> Thu Dec 24 14:05:57 2009: ** Enabling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support * * * ^[[80G ** Checking battery state... * * * ^[[80G * *...done.
>
> Ah well... I reckon it's time to open the egg nog anyway :-)

I just enabled bootlogd and
/var/log/boot is empty
/var/log/boot~ is minimal and useless