Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Mark Goldshtein

Default Ubuntu 9.10 How to set 96 dpi resolution for X sessions?

Hello, List!

*

Would you, please, help me to set 96 dpi
resolution in any X session, which may be locally started on localhost?

*

At the moment, the resolution is 111x117 pixels (1366x768
notebook display at nvidia mobile gt240 video board) according to 'xdpyinfo'
output. The version of a video driver is corresponds to an official repository
version.

*

Yes, in GNOME Control Center a resolution value is
set to 96 dpi. Googled solution to put a section '[standard-Server]' in
gdm.conf is impossible, because there is no such file in proposed place,
/etc/gdm/.

Yes, I put '96x96 option' in xorf.conf under
'Monitor' section, but that does not work as well. Probably, I have used wrong
config strings?

*

If you, please, to help with a correct solution
for Ubuntu 9.10? I need 'nailed' 96 dpi resolution.

Thanks in advance!

--
Всего хорошего,
WBR,

Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Andrew Farris

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 09:45 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> Hello, List!
>
> Would you, please, help me to set 96 dpi resolution in any X session,
> which may be locally started on localhost?
>
> At the moment, the resolution is 111x117 pixels (1366x768 notebook
> display at nvidia mobile gt240 video board) according to 'xdpyinfo'
> output. The version of a video driver is corresponds to an official
> repository version.

The extreme low resolution indicates a driver problem. What driver
exactly are you using? The output you're seeing from xdpyinfo would
help... as would your Ubuntu version.

> Yes, in GNOME Control Center a resolution value is set to 96 dpi.
> Googled solution to put a section '[standard-Server]' in gdm.conf is
> impossible, because there is no such file in proposed
> place, /etc/gdm/.

The screen resolution is a different issue from setting the DPI. as I
said above, If you're having issues with a really low resolution, then
the issue is likely your driver. let us know what driver you'r using,
then we'll be able to help more.

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew

Old 12-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Andrew Farris <flyindragon1@aol.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 09:45 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> Hello, List!

> Would you, please, help me to set 96 dpi resolution in any X session,

> which may be locally started on localhost?

> At the moment, the resolution is 111x117 pixels (1366x768 notebook

> display at nvidia mobile gt240 video board) according to 'xdpyinfo'

> output. The version of a video driver is corresponds to an official

> repository version.

The extreme low resolution indicates a driver problem. What driver

exactly are you using? The output you're seeing from xdpyinfo would

help... as would your Ubuntu version.

Thanks for respond!

Sorry, writing about "111x117" I meant "dpi", not just "pixels". I was away from the OS and can not remembered the values exactly. Here is more accurate info:

NVIDIA driver version 185.18.36

$ xdpyinfo:

name of display:*** :0.0
version number:*** 11.0
vendor string:*** The X.Org Foundation
vendor release number:*** 10604000
X.Org version: 1.6.4

[...]
screen #0:
* dimensions:*** 1366x768 pixels (313x171 millimeters)
* resolution:*** 111x114 dots per inch
* depths (7):*** 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32

My Ubuntu version is 9.10

$ uname -ra
Linux localhost 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

*

> Yes, in GNOME Control Center a resolution value is set to 96 dpi.

> Googled solution to put a section '[standard-Server]' in gdm.conf is

> impossible, because there is no such file in proposed

> place, /etc/gdm/.

The screen resolution is a different issue from setting the DPI. as I

said above, If you're having issues with a really low resolution, then

the issue is likely your driver. let us know what driver you'r using,

then we'll be able to help more.

Hope that helps!

I think a correct string in xorg.conf may help a lot.

--
Всего хорошего,
WBR,

Old 12-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Steve

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:49:44 -0000, Mark Goldshtein
<ubuntu.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Andrew Farris
> <flyindragon1@aol.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 09:45 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>> > Hello, List!
>> >
>> > Would you, please, help me to set 96 dpi resolution in any X session,
>> > which may be locally started on localhost?
>> >
>> > At the moment, the resolution is 111x117 pixels (1366x768 notebook
>> > display at nvidia mobile gt240 video board) according to 'xdpyinfo'
>> > output. The version of a video driver is corresponds to an official
>> > repository version.
>>
>> The extreme low resolution indicates a driver problem. What driver
>> exactly are you using? The output you're seeing from xdpyinfo would
>> help... as would your Ubuntu version.
>>

> Thanks for respond!
>
> Sorry, writing about "111x117" I meant "dpi", not just "pixels". I was
> away
> from the OS and can not remembered the values exactly. Here is more
> accurate
> info:
>
> NVIDIA driver version 185.18.36
>
> $ xdpyinfo:
>
> name of display: :0.0
> version number: 11.0
> vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
> vendor release number: 10604000
> X.Org version: 1.6.4
> [...]
> screen #0:
> dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (313x171 millimeters)
> resolution: 111x114 dots per inch
> depths (7): 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
>
> My Ubuntu version is 9.10
>
> $ uname -ra
> Linux localhost 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC
> 2009
> i686 GNU/Linux
>

>> > Yes, in GNOME Control Center a resolution value is set to 96 dpi.
>> > Googled solution to put a section '[standard-Server]' in gdm.conf is
>> > impossible, because there is no such file in proposed
>> > place, /etc/gdm/.
>>
>> The screen resolution is a different issue from setting the DPI. as I
>> said above, If you're having issues with a really low resolution, then
>> the issue is likely your driver. let us know what driver you'r using,
>> then we'll be able to help more.
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>>

> I think a correct string in xorg.conf may help a lot.

If this information is correct for your display dimensions: 1366x768
pixels (313x171 millimeters) & resolution: 111x114 dots per inch then I
don’t think there’s a lot you can do as you can’t alter scan rates like
you can on a CRT to get different dpi.
On a displat that size you’d need 1183*646 to get 96 dpi
Why do you want 96dpi?

--
Steve

Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Steve <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:49:44 -0000, Mark Goldshtein

<ubuntu.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Andrew Farris

> <flyindragon1@aol.com>wrote:

>> On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 09:45 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

>> > Hello, List!

>> > Would you, please, help me to set 96 dpi resolution in any X session,

>> > which may be locally started on localhost?

>> > At the moment, the resolution is 111x117 pixels (1366x768 notebook

>> > display at nvidia mobile gt240 video board) according to 'xdpyinfo'

>> > output. The version of a video driver is corresponds to an official

>> > repository version.

>> The extreme low resolution indicates a driver problem. What driver

>> exactly are you using? The output you're seeing from xdpyinfo would

>> help... as would your Ubuntu version.

> Thanks for respond!

> Sorry, writing about "111x117" I meant "dpi", not just "pixels". I was

> away

> from the OS and can not remembered the values exactly. Here is more

> accurate

> info:

> NVIDIA driver version 185.18.36

> $ xdpyinfo:

> name of display: * *:0.0

> version number: * *11.0

> vendor string: * *The X.Org Foundation

> vendor release number: * *10604000

> X.Org version: 1.6.4

> [...]

> screen #0:

> * dimensions: * *1366x768 pixels (313x171 millimeters)

> * resolution: * *111x114 dots per inch

> * depths (7): * *24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32

> My Ubuntu version is 9.10

> $ uname -ra

> Linux localhost 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC

> 2009

> i686 GNU/Linux

>> > Yes, in GNOME Control Center a resolution value is set to 96 dpi.

>> > Googled solution to put a section '[standard-Server]' in gdm.conf is

>> > impossible, because there is no such file in proposed

>> > place, /etc/gdm/.

>> The screen resolution is a different issue from setting the DPI. as I

>> said above, If you're having issues with a really low resolution, then

>> the issue is likely your driver. let us know what driver you'r using,

>> then we'll be able to help more.

>> Hope that helps!

> I think a correct string in xorg.conf may help a lot.

Why do you want 96dpi?

I do not like how the fonts are displayed on the screen and look like and suppose 96 dpi will be way better.

--
Всего хорошего,
WBR,

Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Steve

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:36:27 -0000, Mark Goldshtein
<ubuntu.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why do you want 96dpi?
>>

> I do not like how the fonts are displayed on the screen and look like and
> suppose 96 dpi will be way better.

Have you had a play with System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts
Create a new user and you can play about with them with out messing up
your current settings, when you find some thing you like transfer them to
your own account.

--
Steve

Old 12-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Mark Goldshtein <ubuntu.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, List!

*

[...]

Problem resolved by adding a string to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in 'Section "Device"' NOT in Section "Monitor".
A fragment from working xorg.conf:

Section "Device"

*** Identifier*** *** "Default Device"
*** Driver*** "nvidia"
*** Option*** "NoLogo"*** "True"
*** Option*** "DPI"*** *** "96x96"
EndSection

Add and restart X session.

$ xdpyinfo |grep reso
* resolution:*** 96x96 dots per inch

--
Всего хорошего,
WBR,

Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Steve <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:36:27 -0000, Mark Goldshtein

<ubuntu.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why do you want 96dpi?

> I do not like how the fonts are displayed on the screen and look like and

> suppose 96 dpi will be way better.

Have you had a play with System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts

Create a new user and you can play about with them with out messing up

your current settings, when you find some thing you like transfer them to

your own account.

Yes, thanks, I have played with that. It gives nothing.

A method is 'nail' it in xorg.conf adding

Option*** "DPI"*** *** "96x96"

to the 'Section "Device"'.

Problem's resolved. Thanks to everyone who participated by body or soul
*
--
Всего хорошего,
WBR,

Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Steve

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:17:14 -0000, Mark Goldshtein
<ubuntu.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Steve
> <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com>wrote:

>> > I do not like how the fonts are displayed on the screen and look like
>> and
>> > suppose 96 dpi will be way better.
>> >
>> Have you had a play with System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts
>> Create a new user and you can play about with them with out messing up
>> your current settings, when you find some thing you like transfer them
>> your own account.
>>

> Yes, thanks, I have played with that. It gives nothing.
>
> A method is 'nail' it in xorg.conf adding
>
> Option "DPI" "96x96"
>
> to the 'Section "Device"'.
>
> Problem's resolved. Thanks to everyone who participated by body or soul

Glad you’ve solved it.
Out of interest, as I’m not quite sure I understand this, what does
xdpyinfo say now?

--
Steve

Old 12-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Steve <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:17:14 -0000, Mark Goldshtein

<ubuntu.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Steve

> <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com>wrote:

>> > I do not like how the fonts are displayed on the screen and look like

>> and

>> > suppose 96 dpi will be way better.

>> Have you had a play with System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts

>> Create a new user and you can play about with them with out messing up

>> your current settings, when you find some thing you like transfer them

>> your own account.

> Yes, thanks, I have played with that. It gives nothing.

> A method is 'nail' it in xorg.conf adding

> Option * *"DPI" * * * *"96x96"

> to the 'Section "Device"'.

> Problem's resolved. Thanks to everyone who participated by body or soul

Glad you’ve solved it.

Out of interest, as I’m not quite sure I understand this, what does

xdpyinfo say now?

96 x 96 dpi

--
Всего хорошего,