Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Brittany Fleischer

Default What just happen? Grub read error message

My system was working very good when my computer went to scrrensaver mode, it then freezed my system to the point where I had to push the power of button.

Now I am recieving "grub error" messages along with auto restart when I try to start up my system. I then get the error:

Boot from (hd0,0) ext3 5ec9b9c0-238e-49a9-8c09-81460343f436
Starting up
Uncompression error

--System halted"

What is going on? I hope i don't have to reload ubuntu because I do have some important files that I am wanting to save.

Brittany

Sent from my iPhone

Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Alex Janssen

Brittany Fleischer wrote:
> My system was working very good when my computer went to scrrensaver mode, it then freezed my system to the point where I had to push the power of button.
>
> Now I am recieving "grub error" messages along with auto restart when I try to start up my system. I then get the error:
>
> Boot from (hd0,0) ext3 5ec9b9c0-238e-49a9-8c09-81460343f436
> Starting up
> Uncompression error
>
> --System halted"
>
> What is going on? I hope i don't have to reload ubuntu because I do have some important files that I am wanting to save.
>
> Brittany
>
> Sent from my iPhone

During boot, press ESC to get to the grub menu. Select the recovery
mode entry closest to the top and press enter to boot it.
Let us know if it boots.
Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (275)

Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 AM
Alex Janssen

Brittany Fleischer wrote:
> My system was working very good when my computer went to scrrensaver mode, it then freezed my system to the point where I had to push the power of button.
>
> Now I am recieving "grub error" messages along with auto restart when I try to start up my system. I then get the error:
>
> Boot from (hd0,0) ext3 5ec9b9c0-238e-49a9-8c09-81460343f436
> Starting up
> Uncompression error
>
> --System halted"
>
> What is going on? I hope i don't have to reload ubuntu because I do have some important files that I am wanting to save.
>
> Brittany
>
> Sent from my iPhone

I forgot to say you can boot from a live install cd to copy your files
off to a USB device as long as your disk is still readable.
Alex

Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Brittany Fleischer

I had a couple of blank screens which cause me to keep rebooting, I had to unplug the power supply plug a few times before I got anything. eventually it seems to work after.

What do you think caused this problem? is it a simple reset that was required?

Brittany

Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 AM
Brittany Fleischer

I spoken too soon. Ubuntu loaded up fine and it seems that my screen started flickering for a few secs and then it froze. It happen twice so far. I had to unplug the power supply plug to shut off my computer.
Sent from my iPhone

Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Alex Janssen

Brittany Fleischer wrote:
> I spoken too soon. Ubuntu loaded up fine and it seems that my screen
> started flickering for a few secs and then it froze. It happen twice
> so far. I had to unplug the power supply plug to shut off my computer.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 18, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Brittany Fleischer <linuxwolfz@yahoo.com
> <mailto:linuxwolfz@yahoo.com>> wrote:

It is possible that you have a hardware problem. Even new stuff can
fail. See if your computer will boot and run the live cd. If it does
not, hardware demons may be at play.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Brittany Fleischer

Hello Alex
I'm afraid you're right about the hardware demons.

What I'm tring to figure out if it's my CPu chip, my hard drive or my motherboard, which I sure hope it isn't.

Often times when I try to load my system it goes thru the normal process up until it tries to load up ubuntu, it then gives me a black screen that will last forever if I let it.

I've done many reboots and the very first reboot was when it gave me grub and then o had to type in some command, which never happen to me before.

Other times when I reboot my system it gives me a black blank screen. When I attempt to shut off my computer with the power off button on my computer it doesn't want to turn off so I go to the back of my computer to unplug the power supply plug.

The strangest thing is that it gave me the same crap before and all of the sudden the computer fixed it's self, I thought it was the motherboard and hard drive for sure.

What do you think? Is it my CPU chip , the hard drive or my motherboard?

Brittany

Sent from my iPhone

Old 12-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Steve

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 05:51:54 -0000, Brittany Fleischer
<linuxwolfz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Alex
> I'm afraid you're right about the hardware demons.
>
> What I'm trying to figure out if it's my CPU chip, my hard drive or my
> motherboard, which I sure hope it isn't.
>
> Often times when I try to load my system it goes thru the normal process
> up until it tries to load up ubuntu, it then gives me a black screen
> that will last forever if I let it.
>
> I've done many reboots and the very first reboot was when it gave me
> grub and then o had to type in some command, which never happen to me
> before.
>
> Other times when I reboot my system it gives me a black blank screen.
> When I attempt to shut off my computer with the power off button on my
> computer it doesn't want to turn off so I go to the back of my computer
> to unplug the power supply plug.
>

> The strangest thing is that it gave me the same crap before and all of
> the sudden the computer fixed it's self, I thought it was the
> motherboard and hard drive for sure.
>

> What do you think? Is it my CPU chip , the hard drive or my motherboard?

Most likely power supply!

The first thing I’d do, though, is:-

ensure all fans are clear and running
remove any dust etc. from the MOBO
check the heat-sink on the CPU is secure
reseat all connectors
reseat memory cards and any other cards.

--
Steve