Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 PM
"Josh Madden"

Default question about configuring gnome/xwindows

Hello all:

*

I’ve installed and set up ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop with
xen and some other stuff. Currently what I’d like to do is add a boot
option from the login screen or from grub that will let me log into an instance
of gnome or another x windows manager and simply start an instance of vncviewer
that will log in to a xen vm. I’ve been searching around google for a
solution, but haven’t found anything concrete. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

*

Best Regards,

*

Josh

Old 12-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Pastor JW

On Thursday 17 December 2009 8:45:23 am Josh Madden wrote:

> I've installed and set up ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop with xen and some other
> stuff. Currently what I'd like to do is add a boot option from the login
> screen or from grub that will let me log into an instance of gnome or
> another x windows manager and simply start an instance of vncviewer that
> will log in to a xen vm. I've been searching around google for a solution,
> but haven't found anything concrete. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the the proper -desktop file installed on your machine,
(xubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-xen-desktop, gnome-desktop, kubuntu-desktop, etc)
your login screen will have the options menu on it allowing you to change to
the session type of your choice. You don't have to setup anything. You can
change the default there as well or use it as a "this time only" choice. I
have Xfce, KDE, and KDE4 on my laptop. Oh, ...I have Gnome also but I never
ever go there, it is just too clunky. Reminds me of Mac.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> :
> If you have the the proper -desktop file

It's not a file but a package.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 12-18-2009, 01:02 PM
"Josh Madden"

I guess what I'm really looking for is a way to have a separate
configuration for gnome or some other GDM that I can choose from the login
menu or even the GRUB boot screen. I need a second configuration of a GDM
that when logged into will simply launch vncviewer or tinyvnc and fullscreen
it. Then, I'd like to be able to script some additional behavior for when
the user shuts down the VNC session (logs off the remote computer). I know
some of this is scripting, I'm mainly looking for a place to start, what
files need to be duplicated, where stuff should be modified, etc.

Your guys help is greatly appreciated

Josh

Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:02:53 -0500, Josh Madden wrote:

> I guess what I'm really looking for is a way to have a separate
> configuration for gnome or some other GDM that I can choose from the
> login menu or even the GRUB boot screen. I need a second configuration
> of a GDM that when logged into will simply launch vncviewer or tinyvnc
> and fullscreen it. Then, I'd like to be able to script some additional
> behavior for when the user shuts down the VNC session (logs off the
> remote computer). I know some of this is scripting, I'm mainly looking
> for a place to start, what files need to be duplicated, where stuff
> should be modified, etc.
>
> Your guys help is greatly appreciated
>
> Josh

I would use a separate user for that and have done that in the past for
user that just have to run one application.

Aart

Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Werner Schram

Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:02:53 -0500, Josh Madden wrote:
>

>> I guess what I'm really looking for is a way to have a separate
>> configuration for gnome or some other GDM that I can choose from the
>> login menu or even the GRUB boot screen. I need a second configuration
>> of a GDM that when logged into will simply launch vncviewer or tinyvnc
>> and fullscreen it. Then, I'd like to be able to script some additional
>> behavior for when the user shuts down the VNC session (logs off the
>> remote computer). I know some of this is scripting, I'm mainly looking
>> for a place to start, what files need to be duplicated, where stuff
>> should be modified, etc.
>>
>> Your guys help is greatly appreciated
>>
>> Josh
>>

> I would use a separate user for that and have done that in the past for
> user that just have to run one application.

You can also add an entry to the session menu (at the bottom of the
screen when you have selected a user). You do this by adding a .desktop
file to /usr/share/xsessions. Just copy the xterm.desktop and replace
all xterm occurences with your favorite vnc client.

The gnome greeter used to include an xdmcp option (disabled by default),
but this has been removed in the 9.10 version. Too bad, because it might
have been excactly what you are looking for.

Regards,
Werner

Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Pastor JW