Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Rick Morneau

Default Displaying operations during boot and shutdown

How do I get Ubuntu 9.10 to show me what it's doing while
it's booting or shutting down? On my Fedora Core machine I
can see everything that's happening and I prefer it that
way.

Thanks!

Rick Morneau
ram@eskimo.com

Old 12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Markus Schönhaber

17.12.2009 16:53, Rick Morneau:

> How do I get Ubuntu 9.10 to show me what it's doing while
> it's booting or shutting down? On my Fedora Core machine I
> can see everything that's happening and I prefer it that
> way.

Remove "quiet" and possibly "splash" from the boot options.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Rick Morneau

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 05:34:54PM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 17.12.2009 16:53, Rick Morneau:
>
> > How do I get Ubuntu 9.10 to show me what it's doing while
> > it's booting or shutting down? On my Fedora Core machine I
> > can see everything that's happening and I prefer it that
> > way.
>
> Remove "quiet" and possibly "splash" from the boot options.
>
> --
> Regards
> mks

How do I do this?

Rick Morneau
ram@eskimo.com

Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Andrea Mennini

Rick Morneau wrote:

>>> How do I get Ubuntu 9.10 to show me what it's doing while
>>> it's booting or shutting down? On my Fedora Core machine I
>>> can see everything that's happening and I prefer it that
>>> way.
>> Remove "quiet" and possibly "splash" from the boot options.
> How do I do this?

By editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and rebooting or, if you need it only
once, when booting by entering in recovery mode, which is entered in two
ways, depending on which ubuntu version you have: for Karmic Koala,
press Shift, while for older releases press esc.

Then choose the boot option, and modify it, following screen instructions.

Ciao
--

Andrea Mennini

ICQ:5459894
Registered Linux User #24583

Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Tom H

>>> Remove "quiet" and possibly "splash" from the boot options.

>> How do I do this?

> By editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and rebooting or, if you need it only
> once, when booting by entering in recovery mode, which is entered in
> two ways, depending on which ubuntu version you have: for Karmic
> Koala, press Shift, while for older releases press esc.
> Then choose the boot option, and modify it, following screen instructions.

If you have grub2, you have to delete "quiet splash" from either the
"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" or the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" line (I do
not remember which one has this entry) in "/etc/default/grub" and run
"update-grub".

Old 12-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 08:54:25AM -0700, Rick Morneau wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 05:34:54PM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> >
> > Remove "quiet" and possibly "splash" from the boot options.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > mks
> >

> How do I do this?

Is there some reason you can't run a search on this?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 12-18-2009, 04:03 PM
"José Vte. Barrachina"

Robert Holtzman escribió:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 08:54:25AM -0700, Rick Morneau wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 05:34:54PM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>>
>>> Remove "quiet" and possibly "splash" from the boot options.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> mks
>>>

>> How do I do this?
>>

> Is there some reason you can't run a search on this?

Just do it the old way

RTFM

muahahaha