Old 12-17-2009, 05:00 AM
Christopher Chan

Default thread drifts was Thread hijacking

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/14/2009 07:45 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> As a newcomeer to this list I'm intrigued to know whether the hijacking of
>> threads is commonplace and accepted here. On other lists I know, any such
>> behaviour is stamped on instantly, yet it keeps happening here with impunity.

> [Threading]
>
> As others have pointed out, sometimes a gentle nudge for newcommers is
> better. In the past I've tried comment regarding thread hijacking, but
> then often get accused of being a 'list mom' et al. Anyway, I've found
> that sometimes it's just better to not reply to a thread hijacker... my
> apologies to allowing this thread to drift off w/replies to Chris
> regarding list RFC's.

There you go. It drifted. It was not hijacked. People here and elsewhere
are reasonable about that sort of stuff.

/me puts on asbestos suit. This is where a RFC compliant list would have
made it simple for the whole thing to be taken off list before it
drifted far offtopic.

So it any of you are wanting to run your own lists off Ubuntu with
mailman, you can take into account all this into how you want to run
your list.