Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 AM
"David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk)"

Default ramesh gandhi

http://keryxproject.org

Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Mike McMullin

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 03:52 +0530, ramesh wrote:
> I am the starter to Ubuntu.
>
> I want to know the followings:
>
> 1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?
>
> 2)what are the executable files in Ubuntu.

This is actually Your better first question, so I'll deal with it
first. Linux has a number of executable file types, binary blobs (can
be .bin); script files (e.g. .sh ); interpreted languages (Java, python,
etc); compiled interpreted files Python, Java et al. (Python compiled
file is .pyc); script and binary blob (.run)

If you are thinking of actual Windows .EXE (or .COM) files these are
compiled into binary format and executed.

> 3)how to install a new software in Ubuntu with out having internet?

You would need to get the application that you want to install and all
of it's dependencies onto the system one way or another.

> 4)how to edit or access the source code of Ubuntu or any application
> source code?

You can download and install the source code for any FOSS software
covered under the GPL (it is part of the license demand), and then look
at it with any decent text editor, look at your repository setup in
Synaptic, there are names (unchecked) of the various source repositories
with their URL's.

HTH

Take Care,

Mike

Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Raphael

On 17-Dec-2009, at 8:41 AM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?
>
> Not directly. You need a MS virtual machine to do that. Some EXE
> files will run under the WINE emulation from what I understand, but
> I've never done it. Actually there is another emulation system whose
> name escapes me that is pretty good at running some stuff too.

You could also virtualize Windows thru QEMU, Virtualbox or VMware. A
Windows disc will be needed. WINE could be a good alternative but I do
not reccomend it to starters. Or, if you really need to run Windows
apps at full speed, you could install a dual-boot system with Windows
and Ubuntu.

Regards,
Raphael

New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
Hurry before someone else does!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Raphael

Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Alan McKay

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@mnsi.net> wrote:
> *This is actually Your better first question, so I'll deal with it
> first. *Linux has a number of executable file types, binary blobs (can
> be .bin); script files (e.g. .sh ); interpreted languages (Java, python,
> etc); compiled interpreted files Python, Java et al. (Python compiled
> file is .pyc); script and binary blob (.run)

Except that those endings are fairly arbitrary, and most executables
have no special ending.

It's the execution bit in the file permissions which actually makes a
file executable.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Mike McMullin

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 07:42 -0500, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@mnsi.net> wrote:
> > This is actually Your better first question, so I'll deal with it
> > first. Linux has a number of executable file types, binary blobs (can
> > be .bin); script files (e.g. .sh ); interpreted languages (Java, python,
> > etc); compiled interpreted files Python, Java et al. (Python compiled
> > file is .pyc); script and binary blob (.run)
>
> Except that those endings are fairly arbitrary, and most executables
> have no special ending.
>
> It's the execution bit in the file permissions which actually makes a
> file executable.

True.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Miloš Mandarić

Време: 16.12.2009 23:22, ramesh пише:

4)how to edit or access the source code of
Ubuntu or any application source code?

To get the source code of package run in terminal:

apt-get source package

Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> :
> > 1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?
> Not directly.

You are wrong.

$ cat /tmp/test.exe
#!/bin/bash
echo "Uh, an exe!"

$ chmod 755 /tmp/test.exe
$ /tmp/text.exe
Uh, an exe!
+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Rashkae

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> :
>>> 1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?
>> Not directly.
>
> You are wrong.
>
> $ cat /tmp/test.exe
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "Uh, an exe!"
>
> $ chmod 755 /tmp/test.exe
> $ /tmp/text.exe
> Uh, an exe!

Thank you for deliberately confusing non-technical people and completely
disregarding the meaning of the original question for a chance to look
clever by splitting hairs on meaningless technicalities. I bow to how
much more knowledgeable you are on the subject, and only hope some day I
can benefit from your wisdom.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Avi Greenbury

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> > Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> :
> > > 1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?
> > Not directly.
>
> You are wrong.
>
> $ cat /tmp/test.exe
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "Uh, an exe!"
>
> $ chmod 755 /tmp/test.exe
> $ /tmp/text.exe
> Uh, an exe!

This is not direct and isn't installing.

It also completely misses the point.

--
Avi Greenbury