Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Ken

Default Can't paste into browser

I use a program to store my passwords, but I can't seem to paste them
into all the pages in the browser. For instance, if I go to guru.com and
try to paste into their sign in page, I can't. I've tried this with both
firefox and epiphany and it just doesn't work. If I open gedit I have no
problems pasting into there.

Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks.

--
Ken <ktxl45@gmail.com>

Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Ian Coetzee

On 17/12/2009 03:57, Ken wrote:
> I use a program to store my passwords, but I can't seem to paste them
> into all the pages in the browser. For instance, if I go to guru.com and
> try to paste into their sign in page, I can't. I've tried this with both
> firefox and epiphany and it just doesn't work. If I open gedit I have no
> problems pasting into there.
>
> Any idea what is going on here?
>
> Thanks.

What are you using to paste, "right click > paste", "<Ctrl>+<v>",
"<Shift>+<Insert>"? If you try one of the others, does it work? If you
"right click > paste" is the paste button greyed out?

Regards
Ian

Old 12-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Ken

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 06:33:35 +0200, Ian Coetzee wrote:

> On 17/12/2009 03:57, Ken wrote:
>> I use a program to store my passwords, but I can't seem to paste them
>> into all the pages in the browser. For instance, if I go to guru.com
>> and try to paste into their sign in page, I can't. I've tried this
>> with both firefox and epiphany and it just doesn't work. If I open
>> gedit I have no problems pasting into there.
>>
>> Any idea what is going on here?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> What are you using to paste, "right click > paste", "<Ctrl>+<v>",
> "<Shift>+<Insert>"? If you try one of the others, does it work? If you
> "right click > paste" is the paste button greyed out?
>
> Regards
> Ian

Right click doesn't bring up a menu. I've tried pasting using center
click and using cntrl-v. I've also tried pasting using the menu. Paste
is not grayed out. It just doesn't work.

Can you try pasting into the password prompt on guru.com and see if it
works? Does it work for you? Maybe there is just some weirdness in the
site that is tickling a bug in the browser?

Thanks

--
Ken <ktxl45@gmail.com>

Old 12-17-2009, 04:48 AM
Ken

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 05:24:04 +0000, Ken wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 06:33:35 +0200, Ian Coetzee wrote:
>
>> On 17/12/2009 03:57, Ken wrote:
>>> I use a program to store my passwords, but I can't seem to paste them
>>> into all the pages in the browser. For instance, if I go to guru.com
>>> and try to paste into their sign in page, I can't. I've tried this
>>> with both firefox and epiphany and it just doesn't work. If I open
>>> gedit I have no problems pasting into there.
>>>
>>> Any idea what is going on here?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> What are you using to paste, "right click > paste", "<Ctrl>+<v>",
>> "<Shift>+<Insert>"? If you try one of the others, does it work? If you
>> "right click > paste" is the paste button greyed out?
>>
>> Regards
>> Ian
>
> Right click doesn't bring up a menu. I've tried pasting using center
> click and using cntrl-v. I've also tried pasting using the menu. Paste
> is not grayed out. It just doesn't work.
>
> Can you try pasting into the password prompt on guru.com and see if it
> works? Does it work for you? Maybe there is just some weirdness in the
> site that is tickling a bug in the browser?
>
> Thanks

Just one more note. Everything works fine in Opera, just not in Firefox
or Epiphany.

--
Ken <ktxl45@gmail.com>

Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Werner Schram

Hi Ken,

Ken wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 05:24:04 +0000, Ken wrote:

>>> What are you using to paste, "right click > paste", "<Ctrl>+<v>",
>>> "<Shift>+<Insert>"? If you try one of the others, does it work? If you
>>> "right click > paste" is the paste button greyed out?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ian
>>>
>> Right click doesn't bring up a menu. I've tried pasting using center
>> click and using cntrl-v. I've also tried pasting using the menu. Paste
>> is not grayed out. It just doesn't work.
>>
>> Can you try pasting into the password prompt on guru.com and see if it
>> works? Does it work for you? Maybe there is just some weirdness in the
>> site that is tickling a bug in the browser?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Just one more note. Everything works fine in Opera, just not in Firefox
> or Epiphany.

The login box of the guru.com site uses some tricks to prevent you from
pasting values in the password field. If you look up the password
control at the source of te page, you see that it includes:
"onpaste="return false" oncontextmenu="return false"". I'm not sure why
they would do that, but they do. I don't know why opera handles this
differently, possibly they have a different interpretation of the
onpaste tag.

Regards,
Werner

Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 AM
Ken

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:02:47 +0100, Werner Schram wrote:

> The login box of the guru.com site uses some tricks to prevent you from
> pasting values in the password field. If you look up the password
> control at the source of te page, you see that it includes:
> "onpaste="return false" oncontextmenu="return false"". I'm not sure why
> they would do that, but they do. I don't know why opera handles this
> differently, possibly they have a different interpretation of the
> onpaste tag.

This is really annoying. I alerted them to the idea that some users
might see this as a bug. Thanks for picking up on this. I didn't check
since I didn't think that anyone would intentionally keep me from pasting
a password.

--
Ken <ktxl45@gmail.com>