Old 12-16-2009, 09:22 PM
"ramesh"

Default ramesh gandhi

I am the starter* to Ubuntu.
I want to know the followings:
1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?
2)what are the executable files in Ubuntu.
3)how to install a new software in Ubuntu with out having internet?
4)how to edit or access the source code of Ubuntu or any application source code?
*
*
Please help me to learn more……………
*
Your Ramesh Gandhi
at ramesh.kbvr@gmail.com
*

Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Alan McKay

> 1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?

Not directly. You need a MS virtual machine to do that. Some EXE
files will run under the WINE emulation from what I understand, but
I've never done it. Actually there is another emulation system whose
name escapes me that is pretty good at running some stuff too.

> 2)what are the executable files in Ubuntu.

The do not have a designated ending like EXE if that is what you mean.
The are files which have the "execution bit" set in their permissions

> 3)how to install a new software in Ubuntu with out having internet?

Hmmmm, DVD I guess. But you will be very limited.

> 4)how to edit or access the source code of Ubuntu or any application source
> code?

Hmmm, based on your other questions I think this one might be a bit
over your head :-)

Old 12-17-2009, 02:04 AM
Thurein aung

To install softwares with internet, Try apt- http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

netlynker

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1)Is it possible to install .exe files in Ubuntu? And how?

Not directly. *You need a MS virtual machine to do that. * Some EXE

files will run under the WINE emulation from what I understand, but

I've never done it. *Actually there is another emulation system whose

name escapes me that is pretty good at running some stuff too.

> 2)what are the executable files in Ubuntu.

The do not have a designated ending like EXE if that is what you mean.

*The are files which have the "execution bit" set in their permissions

> 3)how to install a new software in Ubuntu with out having internet?

Hmmmm, DVD I guess. * But you will be very limited.

> 4)how to edit or access the source code of Ubuntu or any application source

> code?

Hmmm, based on your other questions I think this one might be a bit

over your head :-)

* * * * - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"