Old 12-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Denny Schierz

Default 9.10: Grub -> LVM / mdadm hook not found after kernel update

hi,

again i have the problem, that i can't boot my system with the latest
kernel update 2.6.31-16-generic. The boot loader tells me, that hooks
for lvm/mdadm are not found. Bad. So have to boot the old kernel.

I have on boot partition and the system is on a raid1 (mdadm) and lvm
inside.

absolutely don't know, what is going on.

any suggestions?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Markus Schönhaber

16.12.2009 20:44, Denny Schierz:

> again i have the problem, that i can't boot my system with the latest
> kernel update 2.6.31-16-generic. The boot loader tells me, that hooks
> for lvm/mdadm are not found.

Is that the exact error message? Is it really Grub that tells you that?
Which Grub version?

> I have on boot partition and the system is on a raid1 (mdadm) and lvm
> inside.

> any suggestions?

I'd start with re-running update-initramfs for the new kernel and see if
that changes anything.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Tom H

> again i have the problem, that i can't boot my system with the latest
> kernel update 2.6.31-16-generic. The boot loader tells me, that hooks
> for lvm/mdadm are not found. Bad. So have to boot the old kernel.
>
> I have on boot partition and the system is on a raid1 (mdadm) and lvm
> inside.

Can you boot from the new kernel but using the old initrd?

(Make a note of the old kernel's initrd name and reboot. At your grub
menu, select the new kernel's entry, press "e", change the initrd line
to match the old kernel's initrd, and press "ctrl-x".)

Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Tom H

>> again i have the problem, that i can't boot my system with the latest
>> kernel update 2.6.31-16-generic. The boot loader tells me, that hooks
>> for lvm/mdadm are not found.

>> I have on boot partition and the system is on a raid1 (mdadm) and lvm
>> inside.

> I'd start with re-running update-initramfs for the new kernel and see if
> that changes anything.

Probably a better suggestion than mine.

I was just trying to confirm whether the new initrd was the problem
(most likely in my mind but I could be wrong).