Old 12-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Networking documentation?

I have been running Ubuntu 9.10 for about 10 days now and pretty much
have things working well. The only problem I have is networking. Many
times when I boot up Ubuntu other machines on my network cannot find
Ubuntu. The only solution I have found is to keep booting Ubuntu until
the other machines can see it.

I was wondering if the documentation always gets updated to reflect what
is in the new releases? In trying to find a solution I looked in the
Desktop User Guide (section 8.3.1.1). It described a Network Settings
main window that had 4 tabbed sections, Connections - General - DNS &
Hosts. I've looked at everything in the menus related to networking I
could find but don't see what is mentioned in the guide.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Old 12-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Ray Leventhal

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I have been running Ubuntu 9.10 for about 10 days now and pretty much
> have things working well. The only problem I have is networking. Many
> times when I boot up Ubuntu other machines on my network cannot find
> Ubuntu. The only solution I have found is to keep booting Ubuntu until
> the other machines can see it.
>
> I was wondering if the documentation always gets updated to reflect what
> is in the new releases? In trying to find a solution I looked in the
> Desktop User Guide (section 8.3.1.1). It described a Network Settings
> main window that had 4 tabbed sections, Connections - General - DNS &
> Hosts. I've looked at everything in the menus related to networking I
> could find but don't see what is mentioned in the guide.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim and welcome to the Ubuntu family!

When you say other computers on your network can't 'find Ubuntu', please
clairfy. Are you trying to share data with other computers on the
network? What operating systems are there on your network.

Often on lists such as this, describing the end-goal can quickly provide
answers....and I'm sure we'll figure yours out.

HTH,
-Ray

Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Jim Byrnes

Ray Leventhal wrote:
> Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I have been running Ubuntu 9.10 for about 10 days now and pretty much
>> have things working well. The only problem I have is networking. Many
>> times when I boot up Ubuntu other machines on my network cannot find
>> Ubuntu. The only solution I have found is to keep booting Ubuntu until
>> the other machines can see it.
>>
>> I was wondering if the documentation always gets updated to reflect what
>> is in the new releases? In trying to find a solution I looked in the
>> Desktop User Guide (section 8.3.1.1). It described a Network Settings
>> main window that had 4 tabbed sections, Connections - General - DNS &
>> Hosts. I've looked at everything in the menus related to networking I
>> could find but don't see what is mentioned in the guide.
>>
>> Any guidance would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Jim
>>

> Hi Jim and welcome to the Ubuntu family!
>
> When you say other computers on your network can't 'find Ubuntu', please
> clairfy. Are you trying to share data with other computers on the
> network? What operating systems are there on your network.
>
> Often on lists such as this, describing the end-goal can quickly provide
> answers....and I'm sure we'll figure yours out.
>
> HTH,
> -Ray

At this time the other os is OS/2 and yes I want to share files between
the two os's. About half the time I boot the computers up in the
morning OS/2 displays an error message saying the network path is
invlaid, despite the fact that the path is correct because it is saved
on the OS/2 machine and was working fine when shutdown.

When this happens I look with the file browser on Ubuntu and I see only
one network, a Windows network. If I reboot, sometimes once is all it
takes or sometimes multiple times, eventually another network is
displayed with the name of my Ubuntu machine. At this time OS/2 will
connect and can see files on the Ubuntu machine. As a side, the Unbuntu
machine can always connect to the OS/2 machine.

This is the problem I was trying to solve when I got lost in the
documentation.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks, Jim

Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM
NoOp

On 12/16/2009 11:14 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I have been running Ubuntu 9.10 for about 10 days now and pretty much
> have things working well. The only problem I have is networking. Many
> times when I boot up Ubuntu other machines on my network cannot find
> Ubuntu. The only solution I have found is to keep booting Ubuntu until
> the other machines can see it.
>
> I was wondering if the documentation always gets updated to reflect what
> is in the new releases? In trying to find a solution I looked in the
> Desktop User Guide (section 8.3.1.1). It described a Network Settings
> main window that had 4 tabbed sections, Connections - General - DNS &
> Hosts. I've looked at everything in the menus related to networking I
> could find but don't see what is mentioned in the guide.

The guide is indeed outdated:
Copyrights
Copyright 2005 Shaun McCance
Copyright 2004 Sun Microsystems
Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems

The lastest still references the old Network Manager (pre
intrepid/jaunty/karmic):
http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/2.28/user-guide.html
However, I am not sure, but this might actually be correct for standard
Gnome.

Ubuntu uses a newer network manager, so this will be more appropriate
for you:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7

There is some mention regarding NM in the "Internet and Networks"
document, in Help:

ghelp:internet#connecting
file://///usr/share/gnome/help/internet/C/internet.xml#networkmanager

But that document could certain use some 'work and updating' as well.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
NoOp

On 12/16/2009 02:04 PM, NoOp wrote:
> The lastest still references the old Network Manager (pre
> intrepid/jaunty/karmic):
> http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/2.28/user-guide.html
> However, I am not sure, but this might actually be correct for standard
> Gnome.

Verified; that documentation is gnome specific and refers to
'network-admin' which is installed by 'gnome-network-admin'. So no
bug/issue there, just confusion for Ubuntu users figuring out the
difference between the info in that doc, and the "Internet and
Networking" doc.
Note for those who want to go back to the old hardy NM - this is the
one :-)

Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Jim Byrnes

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 11:14 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I have been running Ubuntu 9.10 for about 10 days now and pretty much
>> have things working well. The only problem I have is networking. Many
>> times when I boot up Ubuntu other machines on my network cannot find
>> Ubuntu. The only solution I have found is to keep booting Ubuntu until
>> the other machines can see it.
>>
>> I was wondering if the documentation always gets updated to reflect what
>> is in the new releases? In trying to find a solution I looked in the
>> Desktop User Guide (section 8.3.1.1). It described a Network Settings
>> main window that had 4 tabbed sections, Connections - General - DNS &
>> Hosts. I've looked at everything in the menus related to networking I
>> could find but don't see what is mentioned in the guide.
>
> The guide is indeed outdated:
> Copyrights
> Copyright 2005 Shaun McCance
> Copyright 2004 Sun Microsystems
> Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems
>
> The lastest still references the old Network Manager (pre
> intrepid/jaunty/karmic):
> http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/2.28/user-guide.html
> However, I am not sure, but this might actually be correct for standard
> Gnome.
>
> Ubuntu uses a newer network manager, so this will be more appropriate
> for you:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7
>
> There is some mention regarding NM in the "Internet and Networks"
> document, in Help:
>
> ghelp:internet#connecting
> file://///usr/share/gnome/help/internet/C/internet.xml#networkmanager
>
> But that document could certain use some 'work and updating' as well.

Thanks for the info.

Jim