Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Loc Greni

Default Is it possible to give read&write permission without delete permission?

2009/12/16 bulut dinibutun <bulut19@hotmail.com>:
> Hello everyone.
> I was wondering if there's any possible way to give read&write permission in
> a spesific directory without delete permission.
> Let's Say i have a directory named "stored" in home directory and i've set
> up a program so as to save snapped images automatically in that folder by
> the user who snaps the image and i only want root to delete any of these
> images regardless of whoever created it. Is this possible?If so how?

You have to set the "sticky" bit of the directory:

chmod 1777 ~/stored

That way only the owner of the directory and root can delete the files inside.
Each and every other user can create new files (because they have write
permission to the directory). Each file is modificable according to its own
mode (the fact that a file is "read-only" or "read-write" depends on its own
permissions, not on the directory).

Loc

Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Marc Wiatrowski

If your fs support lsattr/chattr. Don't think its possible with chmod.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Markus Schnhaber

16.12.2009 18:05, Loc Greni:

> You have to set the "sticky" bit of the directory:
>
> chmod 1777 ~/stored
>
> That way only the owner of the directory and root can delete the files inside.

... and the owner of a file is allowed to delete it.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/12/16 Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de>:
> 16.12.2009 18:05, Loïc Grenié:
>
>> * * You have to set the "sticky" bit of the directory:
>>
>> chmod 1777 ~/stored
>>
>> * That way only the owner of the directory and root can delete the files inside.
>
> ... and the owner of a file is allowed to delete it.
>
> --
> Regards
> *mks

I remember an operating system called ”Primos” by Pr1me. You could
specify exactly what could be done with a file or a directory and by
whom. I don't know exctly, but it could look something like this:
User1: darwx
User2: arw
$rest: ar

Maybe I remember it wrong, but something like that anyway. If you had
all permissions, it looked like:
User3: dalurwx

rwx was the usual read, write and execute. I think a was for ”access”,
d for ”delete” but I don't remember what l and u was.
Maybe l was for ”list” and u was for… like what? ”update”?
I also think that * meant ”all permissions”.

I think you can install something like this in Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install acl

I found this page:
http://tlug.dnho.net/?q=node/171

Maybe a possible solution?

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 AM
sdavmor

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2009/12/16 Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de>:
>> 16.12.2009 18:05, Loïc Grenié:
>>
>>> You have to set the "sticky" bit of the directory:
>>>
>>> chmod 1777 ~/stored
>>>
>>> That way only the owner of the directory and root can delete
>>> the files inside.
>> ... and the owner of a file is allowed to delete it.
>>
>> -- Regards mks
>>

> I remember an operating system called ”Primos” by Pr1me. You could
> specify exactly what could be done with a file or a directory and
> by whom. I don't know exctly, but it could look something like
> this: User1: darwx User2: arw $rest: ar
>
> Maybe I remember it wrong, but something like that anyway. If you
> had all permissions, it looked like: User3: dalurwx
>
> rwx was the usual read, write and execute. I think a was for
> ”access”, d for ”delete” but I don't remember what l and u was.
> Maybe l was for ”list” and u was for… like what? ”update”? I also
> think that * meant ”all permissions”.
>
> I think you can install something like this in Ubuntu: sudo apt-get
> install acl
>
> I found this page: http://tlug.dnho.net/?q=node/171
>
> Maybe a possible solution?
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

Many years since I worked on a Prime box. When I was slim and single
and my knees didn't hurt! Primos was an outstanding Multics-derived
O/S, and Information was a superb dbms, but Prime Computer got itself
into that poison-pill fight with MAI/Basic 4 after the ill-conceived
Computervision acquisition. And that was the end of that.
Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
on GarageBand: <www.garageband.com/systemstheory>
on CDBaby: <www.cdbaby.com/all/systemstheory>
get our MP3s free at <www.mikedickson.org.uk/codetalkers>
NP: nowt

Old 12-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/12/17 sdavmor <sdavmor@systemstheory.net>:
> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2009/12/16 Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de>:
>>> 16.12.2009 18:05, Loïc Grenié:

>>> ... and the owner of a file is allowed to delete it.
>>>
>>> -- Regards mks
>>>

>> I remember an operating system called ”Primos” by Pr1me. You could
>> specify exactly what could be done with a file or a directory and
>> by whom. I don't know exctly, but it could look something like
>> this: User1: darwx User2: arw $rest: ar
>>
>> Maybe I remember it wrong, but something like that anyway. If you
>> had all permissions, it looked like: User3: dalurwx
>>
>> rwx was the usual read, write and execute. I think a was for
>> ”access”, d for ”delete” but I don't remember what l and u was.
>> Maybe l was for ”list” and u was for… like what? ”update”? I also
>> think that * meant ”all permissions”.
>>
>> I think you can install something like this in Ubuntu: sudo apt-get
>> install acl
>>
>> I found this page: http://tlug.dnho.net/?q=node/171
>>
>> Maybe a possible solution?
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>
> Many years since I worked on a Prime box. When I was slim and single
> and my knees didn't hurt! Primos was an outstanding Multics-derived
> O/S, and Information was a superb dbms, but Prime Computer got itself
> into that poison-pill fight with MAI/Basic 4 after the ill-conceived
> Computervision acquisition. And that was the end of that.

Still, it had some nice features…

I also remember that the command for ”change directory” was ”attach”
or just ”a”, and instead of ”/” you used ”>” which indeed makes sense:
a MyDir>MyStuff>SpecialStuff>AndSoOn…

And I also remember the command ”Chap Idle” which, in a script, means
that the script will not run if the processor is very busy, kind of…

Johnny Rosenberg