Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 PM
bulut dinibutun

Default Is it possible to give read&write permission without delete permission?

Hello everyone.
I was wondering if there's any possible way to give read&write permission in a spesific directory without delete permission.
Let's Say i have a directory named "stored" in home directory and i've set up a program so as to save snapped images automatically in that folder by the user who snaps the image and i only want root to delete any of these images regardless of whoever created it. Is this possible?If so how?
Thanks in advance.
Bulut

Old 12-16-2009, 06:40 PM
James Michael Fultz

* bulut dinibutun <bulut19@hotmail.com> [2009-12-16 16:55 +0000]:

> Hello everyone.
> I was wondering if there's any possible way to give read&write
> permission in a spesific directory without delete permission.
> Let's Say i have a directory named "stored" in home directory and i've
> set up a program so as to save snapped images automatically in that
> folder by the user who snaps the image and i only want root to delete
> any of these images regardless of whoever created it. Is this
> possible?If so how?

Set the append-only attribute on the directory.

$ sudo chattr +a ~/stored

See chattr(1) and lsattr(1) for details.